There are 265 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Challenge on Last Drive--Genius!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did anyone realize that Harbaugh used that challenge on NY's final drive to give our defense a rest? It was clearly a reception. Harbaugh knew this, but a timeout would not have given our defense enough rest.

As soon as this happened, I was like genius!
was thinking the same, a longer timeout with a challenge then a regular TO
I totally agree, that is what I was thinking. It was a longer timeout, with a tiny chance of the bonus of reversing the call.
Is that actually the case? In my opinion, I thought it was a silly challenge... but given how some people were saying that our defense was starting to get winded, if he did it to give them a break... then that was an EXCELLENT move if that was his intention.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
one of the brighter minds in the NFL.
Originally posted by boast:

Shifting lines to get off sides, proper time out management, amazing game planning....

CotY.
The Giants were gaining serious momentum. The challenge put a lull in that energy as well as giving the defense a moment to rest and regroup.
according to the giants fans message board that challenge had to do with his ego. lol idiots
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by boast:

Shifting lines to get off sides, proper time out management, amazing game planning....

CotY.

The rest of the league is ready to copy this. I love how our guys do it, and believe it will work. They go with it and do a great job of acting it out with the pointing and looking around after they shift back. PURE GENIIUS!
  • dj43
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Is that actually the case? In my opinion, I thought it was a silly challenge... but given how some people were saying that our defense was starting to get winded, if he did it to give them a break... then that was an EXCELLENT move if that was his intention.
My wife said the same thing when we saw the replay. However, it was very clear that no one on the 49er sideline would have suggested a challenge based on the actual play call. That was a clear example of Harbaugh giving the defense a breather and for the coaching staff to take a closer look at how to stop the Giants drive.

Call it "genius" or just solid coaching, it was a very good move by Harbaugh. Justin Smith said his block of Eli's pass was more a factor of his just being too exhausted to rush again so he just jumped up and stuck his hand up. Fatigue was a factor and Harbaugh was doing his best to help out his team. I'm certain that players will recognize that as they look back at the game. It is yet another reason why this team has bought into what JH and staff are selling.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM ]

I thought the same thing. I knew it was a catch right away but figured he was just doing it for a couple reason: #1 just to make sure there was no bobble going to the ground and #2 for the extended break.

Reading post game comments from Justin Smith can prove how exhausted this D was as the end of the game. Smith was so tired he couldn't even get a push to rush Eli.
I thought about the same thing at the time. It doubled as a timeout, plus reaffirmed whether a catch or not by the TE. Gave the defense a rest and regroup. The difference is he didn't gather them for a pick you up speech
he has made good use of the challenge flag for rest the whole season
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Yup everyone knew and (assuming) Harbaugh that it was a catch, but what better way to give the defense and a attempt to break some kind of momentum the offense was building.
An analysis of the challenge call is up at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7232735/this-game-inches

Bill Barnwell: basically, it's a brilliant call.

1. Because it gives our defense a breather
2. There's a small chance that either Manningham did bobble it or that the refs blow the call.
3. (Here's the true genius of it) You can't take challenges with you. Our timeouts were not going to be a factor, and all challenges 2 min and in, or in OT, are automatic. So it makes total sense to burn a challenge on any late game critical play. There's literally no downside to it, and yet coaches decline to do it all the time. And then they finish the game with two meaningless challenges in their pocket.

I honestly feel that (some) coaches don't follow this challenge strategy because they're afraid of being embarrassed. And that's a form of egotism too - putting your own reputation before the team's chances of winning. People who call Harbaugh an egotistical guy should ponder that.
Share 49ersWebzone