LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

This is a question to ask at the end of the year.
Originally posted by irishluder:
I'd sign Alex at the average QB salary for 3 years. Alex enjoys playing for Harbaugh and will stay for a reasonable contract. He is also a team guy and really wants to prove himself.

Kaep is not ready and needs alot of work per NFL pundits. I believe that Harbaugh can teach him the fundamentals to be a top 5 NFL QB, but he needs time to adjust to NFL quality defenses.

WERD!!!
If he can keep up this level of play, I think he has earned a 3 or 4 year deal for $20-25 million. That would be a fair deal IMO given his production. This kind of deal also still leaves the door open for Kaepernick to become the starter if he proves to be the better player long-term.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Oh yes also, The San Fransisco 49ers owe nothing to Smith, get a grip, dude has millions++++ stashed.

do you not realize, he got compeletely f**ked coming here??? we and everyone else called him a bust. no one could have done it. not saying hes a franchise...now he has a huge part in making the playoffs and we let him walk. lmao. we owe him a second year with harbaugh. i dont care how much anyone wants to hate

This organization has helped him stay in this league much longer than he probably would have with another organization. As much as Alex fans like to hate Nolan and Sing....those two were the BIGGEST Alex fanboys around initially till their jobs were on the line. They constantly made excuses for him, threw other players under the bus for him...and tried to make things as comfortable as possible for Alex so he would not have to look over his shoulder. Nolan traded Rattay when it was not best for the team, and Sing traded Shaun Hill when it was not best for the team. The organization tried to draft players to help him on offense. After 2 years they got him offensive weapons who would later make the Probowl. Just because it didn't work out with players like Kwame Harris shouldn't be a reason for some to view the organization "screwing" Alex.

As far as offensive coaching situations....apparently Nolan made a good choice with McCarthy and later (as most Alex fans would tell you) made another good choice with Norv....well both were picked to be HCs. Nolan tried to do Alex a favor again by bringing back his QB coach THAT ALEX WANTED, to be his OC, just so he would stick with the same terminology and Alex wouldn't have to learn a new system. Sing did the same thing with Jimmy Raye....even though Jimmy sucked "because" Alex *needed* to be in the same system for 2 years in a row....as most screamed.

I wouldn't say he got completely "f***ed"......any other team might have gave up on him after 2-3 years. He has never been known to win QB competitions during preseason games. If a team let Alex go, I couldn't really picture him fighting his way back to a starting role in this league......even though he is a hard worker.

Alex said publicly why he should be the 1st choice over Rodgers or any other QB......even though he had a short college career against weak competition in a gimmick offense. Any team that would have picked him in the first round and gave him 1st round money would have been in a situation where they would try to get him on the field as soon as possible......sure maybe he would have sat for one year. But there is no guarantee that he would have been chosen by a team with an establish veteran. If you ask to be chosen #1 overall, it is most going to be a team that is a struggling franchise. You are most likely not going to be put in the best situation where you can sit and learn. These teams pay alot of money to have these rookie QBs ride the bench. If the product on the field is not doing well, then there is ALOT of pressure to put these guys in there. That is just how things were at the time.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Ok, let's face reality.

Based on how Alex is playing right now (assuming that he doesn't implode), he has earned a 3 year extension. If the 49ers don't give it to him, someone else certainly will. If Alex wins a playoff game, then he deserves a 4-6 year extension, and people will pay through the nose to get him if the 49ers don't (Jets would love to have a game manager like Alex, for example). Forget about Kap. If Alex gets a long term extension, then Kap will be riding the pine until Alex gets injured or the 49ers trade him.

Let's say the 49ers don't resign Alex Smith. Then you are looking at instead of a 13-3 season, maybe 8-8 if you are lucky while Kap learns to play in the NFL. And Kap may never prove to be starter material. We just don't know. You don't let go of your starting QB to risk it all on a rookie that has only thrown 3 NFL passes.

The only real choice for the 49ers is to resign Alex Smith. The amount of money will depend on how the season ends, but it isn't going to be cheap.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Trade him for Luck.

or Matt Flynn
Originally posted by Afrikan:
This organization has helped him stay in this league much longer than he probably would have with another organization. As much as Alex fans like to hate Nolan and Sing....those two were the BIGGEST Alex fanboys around initially till their jobs were on the line. They constantly made excuses for him, threw other players under the bus for him...and tried to make things as comfortable as possible for Alex so he would not have to look over his shoulder. Nolan traded Rattay when it was not best for the team,

This is the first time someone blames Nolan trading Rattay on Smith. Nolan traded Rattay because with him you're on his list or you're off. Smith had nothing to do with that decision.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
it will realy depend on how this season finishes. We get wins agianst NY, Balt and Pitt, then i think we resign for the longterm. He may chock in the Playoffs but i wont hold that against him. I doubt this question gets answered anytime before mid Jan.

wow.... low expectations huh?????? dude it make absolute no sense for another fa to come in. and learn the system, learn the players. once we make it to playoffs he deserves the stop gap til kap is ready period. I cant believe the smith disrespect still. The second we get to the playoffs he deserves a second season in the offense. The 9ners ruined him, harbaugh brought him back, 49ers owe it to him!

No Not low at all. I'm Rooting for him to win. I also understand that he still may not be the long term answer for Coach. The 1 thing we do know is that the teams that changed QB's in the off season are struggling. Continuity with the players on the team was most important. Remember we would have signed Hasslebeck if he wanted to be in SF. We did him dirty yes. But that doesn't change the fact that wining is more important. This offense the way its built can be just as strong as GB's with the Right QB and that very well could be Alex. I just doubt that we will do like Buffalo and Sign him Early in the yr when there wont be a need to. There are many other pieces on this team that we have to sign before Alex. No disrespect, it is just what it is.

We may be seeing the rebirth of the next great thing or Alex's best, i dont know, but i am going to enjoy this Ride!!!8-1 After Sunday.
Originally posted by fryet:
Ok, let's face reality.

Based on how Alex is playing right now (assuming that he doesn't implode), he has earned a 3 year extension. If the 49ers don't give it to him, someone else certainly will. If Alex wins a playoff game, then he deserves a 4-6 year extension, and people will pay through the nose to get him if the 49ers don't (Jets would love to have a game manager like Alex, for example). Forget about Kap. If Alex gets a long term extension, then Kap will be riding the pine until Alex gets injured or the 49ers trade him.

Let's say the 49ers don't resign Alex Smith. Then you are looking at instead of a 13-3 season, maybe 8-8 if you are lucky while Kap learns to play in the NFL. And Kap may never prove to be starter material. We just don't know. You don't let go of your starting QB to risk it all on a rookie that has only thrown 3 NFL passes.

The only real choice for the 49ers is to resign Alex Smith. The amount of money will depend on how the season ends, but it isn't going to be cheap.

Originally posted by fly15:
or Matt Flynn

There is no need to trade for Flynn. He is a free agent at the end of this season.

But realistically: do you want to entrust the franchise to a guy has one start more than Kaepernick? Sure he looked good in that start, but Kolb looked good too.

This shouldn't even be a dabate right now, he's 7-1 and has only thrown 2 int's in 8 games
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Extend him for 5 years. Pay him the same or more than Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
This is a question to ask at the end of the year.

Perhaps earlier if 49ers want to save some money. If Smith plays lights out in the playoffs, and (hopefully) win the SB, the 49ers may find themselves have to give top-5 instead of top-16 money, a huge gap in pay.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:
Perhaps earlier if 49ers want to save some money. If Smith plays lights out in the playoffs, and (hopefully) win the SB, the 49ers may find themselves have to give top-5 instead of top-16 money, a huge gap in pay.

Personally, if I were the 49ers I would be more interested seeing how Alex plays in the second half of the season than trying to save money. It is a huge risk giving a big check to a QB that hasn't been consistent, so the longer they prove their consistency, the better.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He has earned an extension but hasn't proven he is worth that 60 million contract yet.
Share 49ersWebzone