LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

New Principle Owner Jed York Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Insider trading is one of the hardest things to prove and almost no one ever gets convicted, like less than 1%. See Martha Stewart, she didnt go to jail for insider trading she went for obstruction, conspiracy and lying to federal investigators. Always have your lawyer with you, dont say sh*t and dont be an idiot and youre fine.

Worth pointing out this is a civil lawsuit, not a criminal charge.

I wouldn't be surprised by a variety of outcomes, but if the entire board is being sued and York is one member of the board it's entirely possible he simply wasn't paying close enough attention to things and went along with the majority.

Probably get settled out of court by paying them off.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Could you imagine York selling the team to Joe Lacob (he was interested in the A's)… Heck, maybe Lacob would even move the Niners back to SF!!! A pipe dream but man that would be awesome 🤩

Yeah I mean his parents own it not Jed. Still what do you think this team would go for? DC just sold for $6B
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Getting a new owner out of this might be a nice silver lining. He's improved recently, but by no means like his uncle (at least in the championship department, the illegality department )

Yeah, but in an era before the Cap really took effect. Not an apples to apples comparison at all.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Please please please please let this be the end of the yorks

Not a chance. This sounds like a nothingburger, Jed is just the guy with the deepest pockets for the lawyers to focus their fire on.
Not surprising these dudes make scumbag moves. Not the type of press you need in the off season
What is so bad about what they've done with the team? They managed to get a new stadium built and keep them in the Bay Area (unlike theRaiders and probably the As). The team has been competitive the since Shanny took over. They have a top lineup again this year. Jed doesn't meddle in the team operations and make stupid decisions like so many egotistical owners. So what's so bad about them? As it was pointed out, there's no way they can operate the way Eddie D did. The rules are different now.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What is so bad about what they've done with the team? They managed to get a new stadium built and keep them in the Bay Area (unlike theRaiders and probably the As). The team has been competitive the since Shanny took over. They have a top lineup again this year. Jed doesn't meddle in the team operations and make stupid decisions like so many egotistical owners. So what's so bad about them? As it was pointed out, there's no way they can operate the way Eddie D did. The rules are different now.

My Highest hate level for Jed was after the Harbaugh Debacle and the hiring of Tomsula.

After hitting it big with KS and John Lynch and just staying in the background, I have grown a lot more respect for him. He did what he needed to do to be a good to great owner.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
company stock hits its peak during the pandemic and then begins to fall as schools start to reopen. Why wouldn't you start selling shares?

This is also a great point. Those suing would have to prove it was because of the scandal that the board decided to sell shares and not for any other valid reason. Unless they have actual proof like communications stating "let's sell because of the scandal before everyone else finds out" any other legitimate reasoning can be used as a defense, with "pandemic was over and we figured the stock would go down" being a pretty logical one.

Proving motive here is going to be extremely difficult.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 10, 2023 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not surprising these dudes make scumbag moves. Not the type of press you need in the off season

don't buy into this, possibly a rival hit job here. we remember, the Colts started that whole deflategate drama, and they actually got the goat suspended over some nonsense, suspended real games.

I sense, a possible Ram or Seahawk shenanigan at play. Not Arizona, those ppl from Arizona, don't know what they are doing, probably couldn't pull anything like this off. They are trying to do Jed, like Eddie D was done. And usher back in, the dark ages.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
don't buy into this, possibly a rival hit job here. we remember, the Colts started that whole deflategate drama, and they actually got the goat suspended over some nonsense, suspended real games.

I sense, a possible Ram or Seahawk shenanigan at play. Not Arizona, those ppl from Arizona, don't know what they are doing, probably couldn't pull anything like this off. They are trying to do Jed, like Eddie D was done. And usher back in, the dark ages.

It's two shareholders that are upset that they were apparently the only ones on the planet who didn't know that Chegg got popular due to its ease for cheating on proctor-less online exams during the pandemic.

This isn't going to change a thing as far as the 49ers are concerned but does give the Florio's of the world a chance to wag their finger about.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

It's two shareholders that are upset that they were apparently the only ones on the planet who didn't know that Chegg got popular due to its ease for cheating on proctor-less online exams during the pandemic.

This isn't going to change a thing as far as the 49ers are concerned but does give the Florio's of the world a chance to wag their finger about.

Yessir, and did you notice the dig, at Arizonians
present company not included in that, of course
is it Arizonan or Arizonian?
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

My Highest hate level for Jed was after the Harbaugh Debacle and the hiring of Tomsula.

After hitting it big with KS and John Lynch and just staying in the background, I have grown a lot more respect for him. He did what he needed to do to be a good to great owner.

The Harbaugh thing was a mistake. He sided with the wrong guy but given Harbaugh's history he probably would have left anyway.

John York realized after a couple of years that running a football team wasn't his thing. A lot of rich owners never realize that and try to run it themselves. He turned it over to his eager but young son who had to learn on the fly. He may not be the best or most influential owner but we could do a lot worse like Washington and Arizona. The Bears have poor ownership now and they struggle every year.
If this news broke on August 9, 2015 or 2016, I would be on my knees praying for this to be the biggest scandal ever and get the team pried from Jed's hands.

But it's August 9, 2023… so I hope this is a nothingburger…

The Harbaugh thing was a mistake. He sided with the wrong guy but given Harbaugh's history he probably would have left anyway.

John York realized after a couple of years that running a football team wasn't his thing. A lot of rich owners never realize that and try to run it themselves. He turned it over to his eager but young son who had to learn on the fly. He may not be the best or most influential owner but we could do a lot worse like Washington and Arizona. The Bears have poor ownership now and they struggle every year.

The one thing he said in that post-Harbaugh exit press conference that I feel was his primary goal was "I want a teacher" when it came to a head coach. Now, he significantly underestimated other needed skills that Tomsula and Kelly obviously didn't have, but Shanahan also fits the "teacher head coach" ideal, and arguably better than almost any possible candidate that has been available out there in the last decade. So, he wasn't wrong on that particular outlook.
Originally posted by captveg:

The one thing he said in that post-Harbaugh exit press conference that I feel was his primary goal was "I want a teacher" when it came to a head coach. Now, he significantly underestimated other needed skills that Tomsula and Kelly obviously didn't have, but Shanahan also fits the "teacher head coach" ideal, and arguably better than almost any possible candidate that has been available out there in the last decade. So, he wasn't wrong on that particular outlook.

I have a theory that Jed had Kyle in mind from the moment he fired Jim. But Kyle just wasnt ready yet so the org just went with stand ins until Kyle became ready
Share 49ersWebzone