LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 125 users in the forums

QBs in the Harbaugh/Roman System....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Seeing luck against USC helped me form my opinion on him. He is good, but I don't think he is the 2nd coming of peyton. Btw i was being sarcastic in my first post, lol.

Is it true that he calls his own plays? I don't know how many college QBs do that though.

I don't know how elite of a prospect he is compared to the Carson Palmers, Sam Bradfords, Matthew Staffords, Matt Ryans, Eli Mannings, Peyton Mannings, and John Elways that have come out... but I do think he's worthy of being a #1 overall pick, and is definitely a better prospect than Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were in the 2005 draft.
You may want project Alex's numbers to account for 13 games to match the total games Luck payed that season..
...I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those Stanford TEs...cough....Fleener....cough.....end up on the Niners roster in the next few years.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
MODS: This is Niner related. PLEASE don't merge or move. Thank You.

I was just curious so I decided to check something out. 3 years ago, all the buzz about Harbaugh and Stanford was about the Run game and Toby Gerhart. There was very little buzz about a big QB named Andrew Luck. It kinda reminded me of the current 49ers with that dominant ground game and how Alex Smith is being "protected".

I just decided to look the stats up and see what they said....

Andrew Luck: 288 Att, 162 Comp, 2575 yards, 56.3 Comp%, 13 TDs, 4 INTs, QB Rating 95.47*

*(I used the NFL Rating system for comparison purposes. His College QB Rating is actually 143.5 because its calculated differently).

Now Alex THIS year through only 7 games.

Alex Smith: 182 Att, 115 Comp, 1267 yards, 63.2 Comp%, 9 TDs, 2 INTs, QB Rating 95.7

So thats 95.47 compared to 95.7. Interesting.

Now, to be clear...I'm not saying that Alex Smith is Andrew Luck. I just thought it was interesting.

Harbaugh "protected" Luck just the same way he is protecting Smith...and Kaepernick for that matter (Luck was redshirted as a freshman). The Stanford offense was (and still is to some extent) about a STRONG running game. Gerhart was one of the best RBs in the nation in that O and Gore is doing something very similar right now.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
where are Josh Johnson's stats at USD?

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_josh00.html

Quote:
NOTABLE: Josh Johnson is in his fourth and final year at USD... One of the top I-AA quarterbacks in the nation, last year Josh finished 6th in voting for the Wlater Payton Award as the top I-AA offensive player in the nation... Led nation in total offense (336.7 ypg), total passing yards (3,320), passing efficiency (169.0 rating) and points responsible for (24.33 ppg)... Is current active career leader in passing efficiency (168.16 rating) and completion percentage (67.80)... Already the USD career leader in pass completions (518), Josh enters the 2007 campaign needing just 6 touchdown passes and 777 passing yards to break the school marks held by Eric Rasmussen (75 TD passes and 7,487 passing yards)... Is a 2007 College Sporting News Preseason All-America 2nd Team pick... One of 50 People To Watch in 2007 (San Diego Magazine).

Also: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/Collegiate.pdf

("CONTROL" + F, type in Johnson) Eerie similarities?

LOL...Not going that far, but I do have to say that seeing what Harbaugh has done so far with Alex makes me wonder if Luck is as good as many think he is.

That said, It really makes me more confident in the direction Harbaugh and Roman are taking the offense.
To be fair Alex was the #1 overall pick and has 7 years (like 5 playing) under is belt. It's not like he was an UDFA this year.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
You may want project Alex's numbers to account for 13 games to match the total games Luck payed that season..

Done.

The Rating won't be the same if you calculate yourself simply because I rounded down the TDs and rounded up the INTs....

Alex Smith: 338 Att, 213 Comp, 2353 yards, 63.2 Comp%, 16 TDs, 4 INTs
Originally posted by Gore_21:
LOL...Not going that far, but I do have to say that seeing what Harbaugh has done so far with Alex makes me wonder if Luck is as good as many think he is.

That said, It really makes me more confident in the direction Harbaugh and Roman are taking the offense.
To be fair Alex was the #1 overall pick and has 7 years (like 5 playing) under is belt. It's not like he was an UDFA this year.

True....thats why I'm not saying Alex IS Andrew Luck. I'm just comparing stats of a QB in the first year of the Harbaugh/Roman system.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

To be fair it's actually just less than 4 technically...
MODS: This is Niner related. PLEASE don't merge or move. Thank You.

I was just curious so I decided to check something out. 3 years ago, all the buzz about Harbaugh and Stanford was about the Run game and Toby Gerhart. There was very little buzz about a big QB named Andrew Luck. It kinda reminded me of the current 49ers with that dominant ground game and how Alex Smith is being "protected".

I just decided to look the stats up and see what they said....

Andrew Luck: 288 Att, 162 Comp, 2575 yards, 56.3 Comp%, 13 TDs, 4 INTs, QB Rating 95.47*

*(I used the NFL Rating system for comparison purposes. His College QB Rating is actually 143.5 because its calculated differently).

Now Alex THIS year through only 7 games.

Alex Smith: 182 Att, 115 Comp, 1267 yards, 63.2 Comp%, 9 TDs, 2 INTs, QB Rating 95.7

So thats 95.47 compared to 95.7. Interesting.

Now, to be clear...I'm not saying that Alex Smith is Andrew Luck. I just thought it was interesting.

Harbaugh "protected" Luck just the same way he is protecting Smith...and Kaepernick for that matter (Luck was redshirted as a freshman). The Stanford offense was (and still is to some extent) about a STRONG running game. Gerhart was one of the best RBs in the nation in that O and Gore is doing something very similar right now.

I agree with you man. This resemblance is very intriguing. It's fun to look at stuff like this. Very good stuff
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Harbaugh's system is QB smart, not QB hiding. He puts the QB in a position to make plays when necessary but not every play. He also sets up plays within the game and from game to game much as Walsh use to do. This is so great to see.

I can see the tackle eligible play being run as a ruse to throw deep for instance. Everyone and their brother will be keying on Staley or Sopoaga and it will go fifty yards to Edwards. It is still mind boggling how much difference a coach can make! I've always believed the coach is the biggest difference but from last year to this year is even too much for me to comprehend!

i always felt the coach was important but thought the players were responsible in the end. this year has made me change my mind i can't get over how much a coach and a competent staff can make. at times i think it's august, the season hasn't actually started, and i'm dreaming.

Harbaugh's system is QB smart, not QB hiding. He puts the QB in a position to make plays when necessary but not every play. He also sets up plays within the game and from game to game much as Walsh use to do. This is so great to see.

I can see the tackle eligible play being run as a ruse to throw deep for instance. Everyone and their brother will be keying on Staley or Sopoaga and it will go fifty yards to Edwards. It is still mind boggling how much difference a coach can make! I've always believed the coach is the biggest difference but from last year to this year is even too much for me to comprehend!

great post
Originally posted by stepnez:

i always felt the coach was important but thought the players were responsible in the end. this year has made me change my mind i can't get over how much a coach and a competent staff can make. at times i think it's august, the season hasn't actually started, and i'm dreaming.

Originally posted by tohara3:
great post

Thanks for the comments!

I was watching the end of at Stanford and USC game and came away with the same conclusion. More than anything, Harbaugh develop his QBs to have smart decision making during the game, especially late in the game. The very basic need of any good QB. That pick 6 aside, Andrew Luck made some very good decision late in that game. His decision making was on par with NFL type QB. I think he will struggled with speed of the NFL. But having that basic fundamental will carry him a long way, and have success quicker.

Don't want to go into Alex Smith. Much have been talked about already. Smith is playing with the same smart way, but I think it was already in Smith before Harbaugh got to him. Harbaugh just enhance that in Smith. The thing that I see Harbaugh do with his QBs, and people have misinterpreted as 'hiding his QB'. Harbaugh have played the position. He does not want to put his QB in bad situations, by his play calling, by putting pressure on his QB to bail the team out on bad plays and get a win. As a former player he was good but doesn't have an abundant of abilities or talent. He realized most QB in the NFL aren't Cam Newton, Dan Marino, Michael Vick, John Elways, Brett Favre. Guys with strong arm and awesome abilities. These guys can take risks because they have the abilities to. Most guys are like himself as a player. In essence Harbaugh is teaching his QB that they don't have to be these guys to win the game. No more pressure of that degree.

Smith said it himself that there's less pressure on him compare to previous years to make the plays to win the game. And for that ease of mind what did he do for the team.... calmly made 3 come from behind wins on the road. The last one was a 4th and goal. And against the Browns, a touch pass to Soap to seal a field goal win.

Simple and efficient way to get the most out of his QB.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM ]
What's interesting is the lack of passing yards. That reinforces the idea that Harbaughs offense is based on efficiency. It's about all 3 points of the game too. Special teams gets us in solid field position which allows us to score quicker. Defense creates turnovers which can also put us in good field position. Either way we require "less" to do "more." It's a complete team and the QB is the icing on the cake. We dont need Alex to throw for 4000 yards to keep us in.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
What's interesting is the lack of passing yards. That reinforces the idea that Harbaughs offense is based on efficiency. It's about all 3 points of the game too. Special teams gets us in solid field position which allows us to score quicker. Defense creates turnovers which can also put us in good field position. Either way we require "less" to do "more." It's a complete team and the QB is the icing on the cake. We dont need Alex to throw for 4000 yards to keep us in.

Yes, the defense holds for a long punt from the opponent, Ginn (and STs) gets positive yards and the offense has a short field. Would be interesting to chart the play calls based on field position as I have the feeling Harbaugh calls a more agressive game the closer he gets to midfield. Seems a bit conservative in the redzone given Smith's success there, but I'll take his football acumen over mine anytime!

I like conservative when the 9ers are backed up, unless they are behind and time is running out--something Smith was use to seeing most games. That's one reason he pressed so much, third and long at your own fifteen behind by 10 with three minutes left in the game...can't be conservative or careful in those situations.
Share 49ersWebzone