LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

QBs in the Harbaugh/Roman System....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
MODS: This is Niner related. PLEASE don't merge or move. Thank You.

I was just curious so I decided to check something out. 3 years ago, all the buzz about Harbaugh and Stanford was about the Run game and Toby Gerhart. There was very little buzz about a big QB named Andrew Luck. It kinda reminded me of the current 49ers with that dominant ground game and how Alex Smith is being "protected".

I just decided to look the stats up and see what they said....

Andrew Luck: 288 Att, 162 Comp, 2575 yards, 56.3 Comp%, 13 TDs, 4 INTs, QB Rating 95.47*

*(I used the NFL Rating system for comparison purposes. His College QB Rating is actually 143.5 because its calculated differently).

Now Alex THIS year through only 7 games.

Alex Smith: 182 Att, 115 Comp, 1267 yards, 63.2 Comp%, 9 TDs, 2 INTs, QB Rating 95.7

So thats 95.47 compared to 95.7. Interesting.

Now, to be clear...I'm not saying that Alex Smith is Andrew Luck. I just thought it was interesting.

Harbaugh "protected" Luck just the same way he is protecting Smith...and Kaepernick for that matter (Luck was redshirted as a freshman). The Stanford offense was (and still is to some extent) about a STRONG running game. Gerhart was one of the best RBs in the nation in that O and Gore is doing something very similar right now.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM ]
Smith is better than luck against nfl caliber competition, luck is going to be a bust!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Smith is better than luck against nfl caliber competition, luck is going to be a bust!!!!!!!!

LOL...Not going that far, but I do have to say that seeing what Harbaugh has done so far with Alex makes me wonder if Luck is as good as many think he is.

That said, It really makes me more confident in the direction Harbaugh and Roman are taking the offense.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
LOL...Not going that far, but I do have to say that seeing what Harbaugh has done so far with Alex makes me wonder if Luck is as good as many think he is.

That said, It really makes me more confident in the direction Harbaugh and Roman are taking the offense.

Seeing luck against USC helped me form my opinion on him. He is good, but I don't think he is the 2nd coming of peyton. Btw i was being sarcastic in my first post, lol.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Seeing luck against USC helped me form my opinion on him. He is good, but I don't think he is the 2nd coming of peyton. Btw i was being sarcastic in my first post, lol.

Watching that game tho also gave me confidense in that Offensive sytem tho. I LOVE it. INNOVATION.
I know theres alot of optimism dealing Alex but I do think Harbaugh can make something out of him..theres a reason why he brought him back..
Harbaugh's system is QB smart, not QB hiding. He puts the QB in a position to make plays when necessary but not every play. He also sets up plays within the game and from game to game much as Walsh use to do. This is so great to see.

I can see the tackle eligible play being run as a ruse to throw deep for instance. Everyone and their brother will be keying on Staley or Sopoaga and it will go fifty yards to Edwards. It is still mind boggling how much difference a coach can make! I've always believed the coach is the biggest difference but from last year to this year is even too much for me to comprehend!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Harbaugh's system is QB smart, not QB hiding. He puts the QB in a position to make plays when necessary but not every play. He also sets up plays within the game and from game to game much as Walsh use to do. This is so great to see.

I can see the tackle eligible play being run as a ruse to throw deep for instance. Everyone and their brother will be keying on Staley or Sopoaga and it will go fifty yards to Edwards. It is still mind boggling how much difference a coach can make! I've always believed the coach is the biggest difference but from last year to this year is even too much for me to comprehend!

I agree with that. I only say "protecting" in quotes because thats what the media keeps saying.
I think Harbaugh's system is going to change dramatically once Kaepernick is ready.
where are Josh Johnson's stats at USD?

Originally posted by verb1der:
I think Harbaugh's system is going to change dramatically once Kaepernick is ready.

i dont think it will change dramatically but they will take advantage of his athleticism and arm strength.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I knew we were better than we played under singleminded, but a team that might not lose more than 4 or 5 games? that's crazy how much difference the coacing did.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by verb1der:

i dont think it will change dramatically but they will take advantage of his athleticism and arm strength.

I'm predicting way more explosive passing plays to compliment a massive rushing attack. So excited!
Originally posted by global_nomad:
where are Josh Johnson's stats at USD?

Josh Johnson was CLEARLY better than everyone he played against. He's the ALL-TIME highest rated QB in college football history.

He only played a few games as a Freshman, but in his first full season as a starter....

Josh Johnson: 334 Att, 236 Comp, 70.7 Comp%, 2881 Yards, 31 TDs, 8 INTs, 117.86 NFL QB Rating

Wow....and thats not even cloe to his best year. Thats just his FIRST as a starter.

As a Senior his NFL QB rating would be 138.67.
Hopefully we'll just get better as the season moves along. Having Crabs and Edwards healthy should help. Having both of them develop a report with Smith should open some things up for VErnon too.
Share 49ersWebzone