LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Norris or Miller

Shop Find 49ers gear online
but but but.... frank gore loves norris!
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Almost everyone feels strongly about Miller over Norris, but that's almost solely due to one aspect of their games. Miller is the better receiver.

When it comes to blocking, the core of a FB's role, things are a bit more muddied. Miller has done well, but a lot of the differences are things that viewers won't notice as much as their RB will. It takes a consistency and confidence in how and where they'll block for a RB to feel really confident in trusting their lead blocks.

I'd probably prefer for Miller to start and continue growing, but Norris is a very good lead blocker, despite his unimpressive receiving ability. I think we should keep both and rotate them until we have a need to get rid of one.

I agree with you on keeping both, but also have seen that Gore's game is doing pretty well with Norris out and Miller in these games. He is Gore's good luck charm and that may be important...don't know how much at this point and I doubt that Harbaugh will be as sentimental about players as Singletary seemed to be. If I had been the coach the past two years Norris would already be gone, replaced by a good all around player like Miller. It is also good for Gore's running if Miller can take a LB with him when he slides outside in motion.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Almost everyone feels strongly about Miller over Norris, but that's almost solely due to one aspect of their games. Miller is the better receiver.

When it comes to blocking, the core of a FB's role, things are a bit more muddied. Miller has done well, but a lot of the differences are things that viewers won't notice as much as their RB will. It takes a consistency and confidence in how and where they'll block for a RB to feel really confident in trusting their lead blocks.

I'd probably prefer for Miller to start and continue growing, but Norris is a very good lead blocker, despite his unimpressive receiving ability. I think we should keep both and rotate them until we have a need to get rid of one.

Just one man's opinion but Norris is not an effective lead blocker unless he can square up on a LB and over the years he has lost more and more consistency in his ability to do that. Miller on the other hand may not have as good of a "pop" on first contact when squared up but he gets the job done. He also has the agility to mirror defenders and recover from angles, something Norris no longer has. Add the threat of carrying and catching the ball, you have a complete WCO FB. A Singletary FB just blocks, but a WCO FB needs to be more of an H-back making his receiving and athleticism more valuable. Plus if we just want a battering ram there is always ICE.
What about T. Owens for a one-year contract and saying good-bye to Norris? TO is strong enough to be another multi-position player like Delanie. H-back, TE and WR. Anthony Dixon can be the backup fullback. Right now the Niners have no backup for Walker in his many roles.
I think Norris's job is safe until Byham comes back next yr...
[ Edited by franklinfan on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
What about T. Owens for a one-year contract and saying good-bye to Norris? TO is strong enough to be another multi-position player like Delanie. H-back, TE and WR. Anthony Dixon can be the backup fullback. Right now the Niners have no backup for Walker in his many roles.

TO mouthing off will be a distraction to the team. If he can keep shut during and after the game, which I know he can't do. The media attraction and distraction is not good for this team.
Miller hands down, He does special teams which Norris doesn't, he catches passes like Norris doesn't, he gets through the holes faster and gets way up on the second and third levels of the Dfence, and the thing Norris would be best for we use soap for in the short must have hards...
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SocalAgent0:
Miller hands down, He does special teams which Norris doesn't, he catches passes like Norris doesn't, he gets through the holes faster and gets way up on the second and third levels of the Dfence, and the thing Norris would be best for we use soap for in the short must have hards...

Shouldn't even be a discussion. 2 games of running struggles when Norris was in. Some catches out of the backfield and almost 200 yards a game on the ground when Miller is in.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Short yardage Norris.....everything else "Its Miller Time".....

Why do we need Norris? We have Isaac Sopoaga.

Point well taken.....I have his jersey too and Im saying such things....hahaha.....
Mile High is on point. Miller is improving. Norris is regressing. The multiple TE offense will continue to prevail most often in 2011 and beyond. Sopoaga is effective on 4th and 6 inches. I expect Norris to be reinstated as a back-up, once he is healthy, but I also expect his roster spot to be needed before season-end to accomodate an injury-replacement player at some position, other than FB. When/if that happens, Norris will be waived (without an injury settlement).

Originally posted by schmons:
but but but.... frank gore loves norris!

After this year it'll be Miller time!
Share 49ersWebzone