LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

The Big Question. Can we win it all?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Big Question. Can we win it all?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's 5 - 1 and the 8th ranked QB in the league.....

Led three clutch comebacks on the road against what look like pretty good teams. Sunday's game was the only game an argument can be made for him having a "bad" game this season. But if a bad game includes a game winning touchdown pass against an undefeated team on the road to win I'll take it. Over the last 12-13 games he has started he actually has been pretty consistent. Can he and the Niners get better? I'm expecting it. Has he improved as a quarterback? Dramatically. Have we seen his ceiling yet? Doubt it.
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by KDTMDSFC:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by susweel:
If we had a better QB we could.

You gotta admit he is the weakest link on the team.

No, he's not.

Yes he is.

Prove it with facts/stats.

How about you prove he is not with facts and stats?

Anyways he was lights out in the second half in the Lions game. Oh wait no he wasn't. That was the worst half he had all season. But wait ,that does not matter,he threw the game winning TD so it's all good now right?. But wait he also threw a INT that let the Lions back into the game when he could have closed them out. But wait....ah forget it that's Alex. Not consistent Alex.

I listened to him today on ESPN Radio and he pretty much said it himself that he just is not consistent and he needs to get better. Sound familiar ? It should he has been singing the same"verse" in almost every interview his whole career. Hey even Alex admits (AGAIN) he needs to get better. (BROKEN RECORD)

Easy buddy, Alex saying he needs to get better is a statement you would hear from any QB at any point in his career. Whether you like it or not he is making strides under Harbaugh. Go Alex and Go Niners
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
The Harbaugh Bowl will be a preview of the Superbowl.

wouldnt that be awesome. The NFL would love it if brothers were facing off in the super bowl
Originally posted by BHulman:
He's 5 - 1 and the 8th ranked QB in the league.....

Led three clutch comebacks on the road against what look like pretty good teams. Sunday's game was the only game an argument can be made for him having a "bad" game this season. But if a bad game includes a game winning touchdown pass against an undefeated team on the road to win I'll take it. Over the last 12-13 games he has started he actually has been pretty consistent. Can he and the Niners get better? I'm expecting it. Has he improved as a quarterback? Dramatically. Have we seen his ceiling yet? Doubt it.

Agree with all points... A "bad game" as these guys are saying was a comeback win on the road vs a 5 - 0 team in a loud hostile domed stadium...

Anyways he was lights out in the second half in the Lions game. Oh wait no he wasn't. That was the worst half he had all season. But wait ,that does not matter,he threw the game winning TD so it's all good now right?. But wait he also threw a INT that let the Lions back into the game when he could have closed them out. But wait....ah forget it that's Alex. Not consistent Alex.

I listened to him today on ESPN Radio and he pretty much said it himself that he just is not consistent and he needs to get better. Sound familiar ? It should he has been singing the same"verse" in almost every interview his whole career. Hey even Alex admits (AGAIN) he needs to get better. (BROKEN RECORD)

As someone already stated, he is ranked #8 in the league in QB play and has a record of 5-1. THAT IS A FACT.

He made plays when it mattered and has not cost us a single game this year. THAT IS A FACT.

Even if he said he was not consistent, where does it say that he is the weakest link of this team? By who??? Link???

Although our passing game is ranked 30th, it is due to our running game being utilized more. We are currently ranked #5 and everyone knows we run the ball more vs. pass. THAT IS A FACT.

Those statements I listed can be found anywhere on the net in regards this years Alex Smith. ANYWHERE and THAT IS A FACT.

Now as far as your ASSUMPTION that he is the weakest link on this team, where are your facts?

Any team with dominant defense, running game and special teams has a shot at winning the super bowl, but are the odds in our favor against the Rodgers and Brady's of the league... thats a negatory.

And the whole Alex being a weak link debate... give it up already. Just a few weeks ago Gore was the weak link, then it was the O-line, then the Secondary, now it's Alex. Is he ever gonna satisfy your wet dreams, no... but he is capable of leading this team to a 5-1 record and its not in spite of him but largely due to key plays he has made during that stretch. If he continues the 8-2 td/int ratio we dont need him to be special, just need him to step up when needed and he has.
Maybe we could put Alex Smith to one side for a moment. After all, he has been the topic of a few other threads. As you may have noticed, I am a big fan of Footballoutsiders.com because of their in-depth statistical approach. Their numbers have just come out for this week.

The highlights:

The Niners have a 99% chance of making the playoffs. To state the obvious, that means that only one chance in 100 that they will not. This of course is mainly a result of the weakness of the NFC West. But this is an extraordinarily high number. For reference, GB is 98% and no other team is over 90%

The Niners now have a 32% chance of making it to the Superbowl and a 17% chance of winning. These are almost identical to GB's numbers and higher than the numbers for any other team.

In contrast to other years, teams are bunched more closely together using the main FO metric (DVOA). Baltimore is #1, followed closely by SF.

Putting these numbers aside, I think we have to begin to realize that this team is playing really well!

As someone already stated, he is ranked #8 in the league in QB play and has a record of 5-1. THAT IS A FACT.

He made plays when it mattered and has not cost us a single game this year. THAT IS A FACT.

Even if he said he was not consistent, where does it say that he is the weakest link of this team? By who??? Link???

Although our passing game is ranked 30th, it is due to our running game being utilized more. We are currently ranked #5 and everyone knows we run the ball more vs. pass. THAT IS A FACT.

Those statements I listed can be found anywhere on the net in regards this years Alex Smith. ANYWHERE and THAT IS A FACT.

Now as far as your ASSUMPTION that he is the weakest link on this team, where are your facts?

They don't have facts. They just hate Alex from the past. And their blinders won't let them see how he is playing this year....
Originally posted by bayniner21:

If you your not happy with OUR teams QB gtfo and go to oakland they just got palmer you could go lick his nuts for all his 300+ yrd performances

Warnable retort, argue points and attack the idea, not the poster.

I refuse to talk SB until the playoffs are secured and we near the end of the season. As it sits today, mid Oct, GB would/can/will beat us. Arod is having an MVP season and looks fantastic.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:12 PM ]

Originally posted by 5280High:
Any team with dominant defense, running game and special teams has a shot at winning the super bowl, but are the odds in our favor against the Rodgers and Brady's of the league... thats a negatory.

And the whole Alex being a weak link debate... give it up already. Just a few weeks ago Gore was the weak link, then it was the O-line, then the Secondary, now it's Alex. Is he ever gonna satisfy your wet dreams, no... but he is capable of leading this team to a 5-1 record and its not in spite of him but largely due to key plays he has made during that stretch. If he continues the 8-2 td/int ratio we dont need him to be special, just need him to step up when needed and he has.

Agree.
Wow! "Can we win it all" has reached 7 pages... and my "When will we clinch" thread has sunk like lead.
WTF did I do wrong?

I voted YES in this poll.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I think we could beat any team right now. On the other hand any team might be able to beat us but they would have to play well. The interesting part of our team is that we are playing a Singletary system - ball control, few mistakes, and beat you to a pulp style of football, that plays to our strenghts - oline, tightends, running game, and slowly wear down the defense while keeping the ball away from the other teams offense. So if we played our game we can beat any team, including Green Bay. It would be a whale of a game but it would be very much like Pittsburgh plays - stout defense, ball control, occasional big play, but simply wearing the other team down, and demoralizing them.

I tend to agree. GB would be the toughest matchup right now. All other teams we can beat in the NFC IMO. It would take a monster game to beat Green Bay and we would probably have to get them at home in January. It's toug to see going to Lambeau and doing that. So we better keep winning and get homefield....

I'm not gonna lie, this new found positivity is kind of scaring me.
Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
Wow! "Can we win it all" has reached 7 pages... and my "When will we clinch" thread has sunk like lead.
WTF did I do wrong?

We are beyond the thought of clinching a playoff spot or the division....
Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
WTF did I do wrong?

You're from Texas.
Share 49ersWebzone