There are 286 users in the forums

The Big Question. Can we win it all?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Big Question. Can we win it all?

Originally posted by susweel:
If we had a better QB we could.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
how long before some other team swoops up Fangio as their HC?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I don't think we get past Green Bay

I initially thought that but we are great at game-planning against a team's best player, and I don't think Rodgers will be able to throw his usual 4 touchdowns.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I don't think we get past Green Bay

I initially thought that but we are great at game-planning against a team's best player, and I don't think Rodgers will be able to throw his usual 4 touchdowns.

Yeah.. he'll have 6.

All kidding aside, and I already said this earlier, I think our d can take their offense. It's how our offense plays that worries me.

• iohk
  • Veteran
Shout out to KDTMDFSFC, he's straight owning noobs tonight.
I'm excited as the next guy, but I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. The focus should be on CLE. This should be something that is discussed once a playoff spot is secured.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by KDTMDSFC:
Hearsay. Those are all opinions from you. You said he is the weakest link on this team and I asked you to support it with facts/stats. I am still waiting.

No one said AS is in the elite pantheon of QB but he is playin like one his year. No one said he will be a HOF type of QB but he sure is winning games for us this year. The fact that you and sus cannot see that he is NOT the weakest link to this team is sad and born out of hatred you guys have for AS.

Yo Kid just for the record I dont hate anyone. From all accounts Alex seems like a good dude, its just my opinion he is not good enough to win a super bowl. He has improved into maybe the 15th best QB in the league but I just don't see him carrying a team to a world championship.

I think your taking this a bit personal.
  • dj43
It will come down to matchups in the playoffs.

Baltimore can stop the run game very well. They also have a very good secondary. That will make it a very low scoring game. Flacco can run hot and cold so their passing game is not always reliable. However, if Flacco is on, that would be a very tough game. This is the team I fear the most.

NE is hell-on-wheels on offense but their defense is having a hell of a time stopping anyone. Still, Brady with time is a very potent weapon...but one that can be beaten with pressure. He isn't as mobile as Rodgers. They are very beatable.

NO will be a problem, again because of questions about the 49er secondary. Until the secondary proves they can shut down a top level passing game, it is hard to see this team winning it all. The Lion game was not a good test because Stafford played so poorly.

Green Bay is the team to be feared the most right now. Rodgers is having an MVP year and Jordy Nelson has emerged as a legit Pro Bowl level player. Nelson, along with the rest of their receivers will over-match the 49er secondary.

The Steeler defense is very good again. Big Ben is a threat against the 49er secondary. Still, I don't fear them like some other teams.

That leaves me with San Diego. Their defense is better this year but Rivers is not having a very good year. Still a threat but not the biggest threat.

Win it all? Yes but a lot of things will have to fall into place for the 49ers. The secondary MUST get better. The OL MUST be consistent. However the biggest issue is if Edwards and Crabtree can stay healthy and sync up with Alex. This team is very thing at WR and if either of those two get hurt before the playoffs, it would make it impossible to get through.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM ]
Hearsay. Those are all opinions from you. You said he is the weakest link on this team and I asked you to support it with facts/stats. I am still waiting.

No one said AS is in the elite pantheon of QB but he is playin like one his year. No one said he will be a HOF type of QB but he sure is winning games for us this year. The fact that you and sus cannot see that he is NOT the weakest link to this team is sad and born out of hatred you guys have for AS.

Yo Kid just for the record I dont hate anyone. From all accounts Alex seems like a good dude, its just my opinion he is not good enough to win a super bowl. He has improved into maybe the 15th best QB in the league but I just don't see him carrying a team to a world championship.

Mah bad for lumping you along with this guy, should have known better.

I apologize.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I apologize.

It's all good bro.

I hope Alex proves me wrong and does lead us to super bowl. He has improved and I hope he gets even better and we keep winning.

I would say maybe but if you go to lambau field in January to play on the frozen tundra against Rogers then forget it. No chance in he'll unless he breaks his leg. Niner fans can dream . They do that well. I say the raiders have a better chance to make it and win it. Hate saying it.

I apologize.

It's all good bro.

I hope Alex proves me wrong and does lead us to super bowl. He has improved and I hope he gets even better and we keep winning.

98...just curious. What is the weakest link to our team then? Its not special teams. Its not defense. Its not the running game. Its not our gameplan/scheme. Its not our coaches.

Just curious to your thoughts sir....

On topic......yes.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:06 PM ]
Originally posted by whatawegot:
I would say maybe but if you go to lambau field in January to play on the frozen tundra against Rogers then forget it. No chance in he'll unless he breaks his leg. Niner fans can dream . They do that well. I say the raiders have a better chance to make it and win it. Hate saying it.

Green Bay looks pretty stout I admit. But the Niners would have a puncher's chance if they got there. Remember them going into Chicago in the snow in 88 and not many outside of the Bay Area thought they could win. Bears were something like 14-2 that year. Those of you old enough remember that the Niners dismantled them on the frozen tundra on their way to the third ring.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

I apologize.

It's all good bro.

98...just curious. What is the weakest link to our team then? Its not special teams. Its not defense. Its not the running game. Its not our gameplan/scheme. Its not our coaches.

Just curious to your thoughts sir....

On topic......yes.

IMO, there is no clear weak link per se but certain things stand out to me. Our o-line is still suspect. Detroit had a dominating line and it took the help of our TE's to stop them. We need consistency from them and seriously, I am worried with Staley's play as of late. We are also weak in our receiving corps and damn glad that we have a week of bye so B Edwards can come back. Although we played well against TB and Detroit with our secondary, we still got burned the first few games in the air. Vick had 420+ yards against us. Yeah we won, but as a lot of the posters in here already pointed out, this is a passing league and we cannot win every game giving up yards in the air.

Everyone is contributing and it showed with us winning the game but we are not there yet. There are still a lot of phases of our game we can improve on and all it takes is a good coach who can game plan against our weakness to show everyone in this board where were at. Are we competitive? Sure... Bar none! But we are still not there yet.

Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by whatawegot:

Green Bay looks pretty stout I admit. But the Niners would have a puncher's chance if they got there. Remember them going into Chicago in the snow in 88 and not many outside of the Bay Area thought they could win. Bears were something like 14-2 that year. Those of you old enough remember that the Niners dismantled them on the frozen tundra on their way to the third ring.

Yes I do remember that game and very well. Jerry rice and Montana are a big difference than crabtree and smith. I have no confidence in smith or crabtree. We will see how it plays out.
Share 49ersWebzone