There are 236 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cohn was all over Kap like a kid with a new puppy. He can't admit that his slobbering love of Kap's skills was misplaced. Kap is talented, no doubt, but to not admit he has serious limitations at this point is crazy and just plan fandom and not analysis. Can't say the dude is the answer for all the problems we had with Alex as the qb but then when we have the same problems blame everyone else but said qb.

Its all crap, just get back to running the dam ball with Frank please. Its always how we've played our best ball, as it sets up the passing attack for whoever plays qb.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
LOL....

So...the guy that turned our team around and got us to the championship his first year and to the superbowl the 2nd is dropping the ball.

Okay.

So he should be immune to any and all criticism as a result when he legitimately does f**k up? You can't argue with the points I underlined because you know it is true. This is Jimmy Raye football, this is "we're gonna run our plays whether they work or not", there is no imagination, why do you keep calling plays with long drops when you see that the QB is getting killed and that the offensive line looks like a collective group of freely swinging turnstiles? Why don't they utilize screen passes, more bootlets, crossing patterns, all the stuff a lot of us on here and now people in the media are saying?

At some point, you have to acknowledge that Harbaugh and Roman are f**king up, the game plan is not solid, the game plan is not good, the offense has regressed from "Yeah, we're going to install the WCO" to "Yep, we're playing Michigan style college offense from the 1980's with a touch of Lindy Infante passing offense."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
The article sounds fair to me. There's plenty of blame to go around, including the coaches.

The coaches bear the brunt of it...and he's 100% spot-on when he, in effect, says enough of the "well our receivers are hurt" excuse. Maybe there isn't a 4.3 guy to run go routes all day, but that still doesn't mean all WR routes have to be compressed within a 10-yd box and are just straight line routes, stop, turn around to face the QB. Use the slants, shallow crosses, in-routes just beyond the LB drop, wheel routes/swings/screens to RBs, INCLUDING James...most if not all which can be thrown with a 3-step drop to help mitigate a strong pass rush. But Greg Roman is the genius, so I'm sure any day now he'll start scheming to actually tap into the strengths of the players at his disposal.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL....

So...the guy that turned our team around and got us to the championship his first year and to the superbowl the 2nd is dropping the ball.

Okay.

So he should be immune to any and all criticism as a result when he legitimately does f**k up? You can't argue with the points I underlined because you know it is true. This is Jimmy Raye football, this is "we're gonna run our plays whether they work or not", there is no imagination, why do you keep calling plays with long drops when you see that the QB is getting killed and that the offensive line looks like a collective group of freely swinging turnstiles? Why don't they utilize screen passes, more bootlets, crossing patterns, all the stuff a lot of us on here and now people in the media are saying?

At some point, you have to acknowledge that Harbaugh and Roman are f**king up, the game plan is not solid, the game plan is not good, the offense has regressed from "Yeah, we're going to install the WCO" to "Yep, we're playing Michigan style college offense from the 1980's with a touch of Lindy Infante passing offense."

You can say definitively that it is Roman's or Harbaugh's fault? With 3 options per down, Kaep didn't have a choice but to go with a 7 step drop?

But no, you're right on the 2nd point...I can't argue..he is living in California.
And of course, you guys don't agree. Why am I not surprised.

There's some people I wish would just leave, at this point, they seem to be happily rooting for the 49ers to crash and burn while spending more time in the Chiefs thread praising their QB crush. They'd rather see the 49ers crash and burn with Kaepernick so they could point their fingers and say "HAH, YOU WERE WRONG" with a typical 5 year old's mentality.

It's already a given that they'll try to make every issue with the 49ers that of Kaepernick's and nobody elses. I supported Alex when he was a QB here, I support Kaepernick now, and what I'm seeing are some of the same exact issues when it comes to playcalling, I'm seeing a regression of the offense, realistically, this is Jimmy Raye football right now with perhaps a little more creativity in the running game and less so in the passing game. Cohn made some great points, he's not saying anything that a lot of others haven't been saying, Kawakami as well addressed issues with the playcalling and why when Kaepernick starts to scramble, none of the WR's break off their routes and get open for him the way the WR's in Seattle do.

People can point the finger at Kaepernick all they want, he's not the one drawing up the crap gameplans and the largely inappropriate playcalling that as Cohn said suggests a stubborn, almost-Singletary like mentality on the part of the Harbaugh to "come and stop us if you can", and largely, good defenses are stopping it and there's no adjustments being made.

It has taken the coaching staff this long to utilize more screen plays, crossing patterns, bootlegs etc........it's almost like Harbaugh has been avoiding using various WCO concepts, that he wants to stubbornly show that "Bo ball" from the 1980s can get it done in the NFL in 2013.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM ]

There's some people I wish would just leave, at this point, they seem to be happily rooting for the 49ers to crash and burn while spending more time in the Chiefs thread praising their QB crush. They'd rather see the 49ers crash and burn with Kaepernick so they could point their fingers and say "HAH, YOU WERE WRONG" with a typical 5 year old's mentality.

It's already a given that they'll try to make every issue with the 49ers that of Kaepernick's and nobody elses. I supported Alex when he was a QB here, I support Kaepernick now, and what I'm seeing are some of the same exact issues when it comes to playcalling, I'm seeing a regression of the offense, realistically, this is Jimmy Raye football right now with perhaps a little more creativity in the running game and less so in the passing game. Cohn made some great points, he's not saying anything that a lot of others haven't been saying, Kawakami as well addressed issues with the playcalling and why when Kaepernick starts to scramble, none of the WR's break off their routes and get open for him the way the WR's in Seattle do.

People can point the finger at Kaepernick all they want, he's not the one drawing up the crap gameplans and the largely inappropriate playcalling that as Cohn said suggests a stubborn, almost-Singletary like mentality on the part of the Harbaugh to "come and stop us if you can", and largely, good defenses are stopping it and there's no adjustments being made.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
The article sounds fair to me. There's plenty of blame to go around, including the coaches.

The coaches bear the brunt of it...and he's 100% spot-on when he, in effect, says enough of the "well our receivers are hurt" excuse. Maybe there isn't a 4.3 guy to run go routes all day, but that still doesn't mean all WR routes have to be compressed within a 10-yd box and are just straight line routes, stop, turn around to face the QB. Use the slants, shallow crosses, in-routes just beyond the LB drop, wheel routes/swings/screens to RBs, INCLUDING James...most if not all which can be thrown with a 3-step drop to help mitigate a strong pass rush. But Greg Roman is the genius, so I'm sure any day now he'll start scheming to actually tap into the strengths of the players at his disposal.

I agree. However I think these "adjustments" only applies when a defense takes away our running game. 49ers will not just drastically change their approach, we know what the bread & butter is, and we are going to rely on that. There aren't too many defenses like the Seahawks and Panthers...but once we do face them again. The coaching staff better have this team prepared!

I've felt the same way for the past 5 or so years.

But you're wrong. I don't want to see Kaep fail. It kills me to see him fail. But at the same time, I'm not drinking the coolaid.

Oh and by the way...please find a single post where I've said it is time to draft a new QB? Because if I hated Kaep..that's what I should screaming for, right?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
YES!!!! finally someone in the media sets it straight! THIS STAFF DOES NOT ADJUST THE GAME PLAN TO WIN. they go into each game with one plan and use it until 0:00 no matter the score. our offense is sooo f**king plain compared to what it could be its a joke.
"Harbaugh's failure to adjust is startling. His quarterback is getting murdered, six sacks, and he sticks with a five-step drop or play action. Jim, make it easy on the kid. Help him. Throw a screen. Roll him out. This is Jimmy Raye stuff you are running. The failure is on you and the coaches." -COHN. right on the money. our failure to adjust is our now our failure as a team. the offense is starting to look like jimmy raye days and instead of doing somethin about it to do better, they call the same play that just got proven to not work. its really amazing me. im starting to think maybe mangini has something to do with this offense being held back. he got hired this year to advice the offense and so far our offene last year as better. if its not working with him we need to stop listening to him idc how good his rep is this is the product. it frustrates me so much that players like kendall an vance mcdonald sit ont he bench so much we let soo much talent sit and just waste an thats just 2 players out of a ton. these coaches not only keep the plan way too basic and predictable but when we get behind or stop producing, they dont change anything to keep scoring points. they stick witht he same thing thats getting us losses. blame kap all u want he does make some mistake but this dilemma is mostly the coaches an play calling, game planning cluelessness. our passing game is embarassing, highschool level.

But you're wrong. I don't want to see Kaep fail. It kills me to see him fail. But at the same time, I'm not drinking the coolaid.

My point is that Alex isn't on the 49ers anymore, people need to get over it already, go find a therapist, talk out whatever issues they have, but that day is done. When you get people that only come around to rip on Kaepernick and post ad nauseum in the Chiefs thread, it tells me exactly what their agenda is.

I spent a lot of time defending him when others were bashing on him, on these forums and outside of them, but I'm not going to go around and hold a grudge about it. Kaepernick is the QB, I'll support him, even when he is struggling and he's been struggling a lot but that doesn't excuse the coaching staff from the Jimmy-Raye offense that we've been seen and the almost complete lack of all imagination in the passing offense.

This has been Tecmo Bowl style football, press A to run the ball up the middle, press B to run the ball to the outside, press C to throw it 20-30 yards downfield, rinse and repeat. When you've got guys like Chip Kelly pushing offense's in newer, more explosive directions and the 49ers are going backwards since 2011, running more stale, predictable offense, it doesn't bode well for the future of this team. Yep, Harbaugh has had success early and I'm thankful for it and I still support Harbaugh, however, to say that he can't be criticized or is immune from it as a result is asinine, especially when the same exact issues come back to bite this team in the ass over and over again.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM ]

Alex isn't on the 49ers anymore, you need to get over it already, go find a therapist, talk out whatever issues you have, but that day is done. I spent a lot of time defending him when others were bashing on him, on these forums and outside of them, but I'm not going to go around and hold a grudge about it. Kaepernick is the QB, I'll support him, even when he is struggling and he's been struggling a lot but that doesn't excuse the coaching staff from the Jimmy-Raye offense that we've been seen and the almost complete lack of all imagination in the passing offense.

This has been Tecmo Bowl style football, press A to run the ball up the middle, press B to run the ball to the outside, press C to throw it 20-30 yards downfield, rinse and repeat. When you've got guys like Chip Kelly pushing offense's in newer, more explosive directions and the 49ers are going backwards since 2011, running more stale, predictable offense, it doesn't bode well for the future of this team. Yep, Harbaugh has had success early and I'm thankful for it and I still support Harbaugh, however, to say that he can't be criticized or is immune from it as a result is asinine, especially when the same exact issues come back to bite this team in the ass over and over again.

You obviously haven't been looking at what I've been posting. I've been saying for a while now that people need to stop comparing the 2 qbs because Alex isn't here.

My statements have NOTHING to do with Alex. Really starting to seem that you're the one with issues, not me...cuz you're projecting.
You obviously haven't been looking at what I've been posting. I've been saying for a while now that people need to stop comparing the 2 qbs because Alex isn't here.

My statements have NOTHING to do with Alex. Really starting to seem that you're the one with issues, not me...cuz you're projecting.

I should have written that better, wasn't trying to call "you" out specifically, but I keep seeing certain individuals who aren't fooling anyone with their shallow, ceaseless criticism, wasn't trying to point you out directly, sorry.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM ]
  • thl408
This is a solid article. I don't agree with all of it but it makes good points. My take on the offensive struggles is that it is mainly due to Kap being a young unpolished QB, like all QBs making their 20th (or whatever) start. This restricts the offense in what they are able to do and how dynamic it can be. However, the coaches receive most of the blame for not acknowledging this fact (Kap's inexperience) and not holding Kap's hands to guide him through this learning stage.

Things mentioned in the article like not enough screen passes and rollouts when facing high QB pressure are very valid and has been mentioned on this forum way before this article was written. There were numerous draw plays in the CAR game so I don't know if Cohn was referring to this past game or the season in general. My biggest criticism of this offense since post week 3 has been the underutilization of the RBs in the passing game. I am just being a broken record by saying pass to the RBs in the flats! It is easy to do and forces the LBs to spread itself wide which opens the middle for scrambling and for the TEs to work. I saw one good pass to Gore vs CAR and another to Hunter that was thrown a bit inaccurately causing a drop, but Hunter was open and would have converted a 1st down.

I agree with this article in that the coaches are to blame for the majority of the struggles. But the reason they deserve most of the blame is that they are making it very difficult for a QB at Kap's stage of development to succeed.
[ Edited by thl408 on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM ]
I should have written that better, wasn't trying to call "you" out specifically, but I keep seeing certain individuals who aren't fooling anyone with their shallow, ceaseless criticism, wasn't trying to point you out directly, sorry.

Well, I'll be honest, I think Kaep is playing like crap... I blame Harbaugh in that he's not protecting his QB by going back to the same offense we used for 2011 and most of 2012. There's no reason to put everything on Kaep...he's still too raw. Let him grow without killing his confidence.

No, you are having a 5 yr old's tantrum and accusing people of some nasty things just because they don't share your opinion. That's wrong, and you are out of line. As said before, I will be MORE pissed off if we replaced "my preferred QB" with a fraud instead of a star. We all want Kaep to meet and exceed expectations.

Just because some don't agree with where the lion's share of blame should go, you should not make this about something it is not. It could just be that others have a clearer head about this situation. I am thrilled with how the QB situations are now.... now, I just want BOTH of them to excel where they are.
Share 49ersWebzone