LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Local beat writers and Bill Williamson from ESPN have commented that it's rare that a SB contender gets such a boost of reinforcements halfway thru the season. I haven't seen or heard the national media take hold of this...

I'm really looking forward to Sunday obviously, but the next few weeks should be really telling.

We've waited to see Tank Carradine in action. Getting Crabtree and Manningham will significantly improve the passing game, not by shear passing yardage, but by cleaner box for our running attack. Both those guys, with Boldin and Vernon have to be accounted for. It's also possible that we can reintroduce the 3WR set again.

Also, if we can learn anything from Harbaugh when he's had extended time to prepare, is that there will be a new wrinkle or two...

Remember Staley and Sopoaga catching passes?

That's what I'm excited about. The wrinkle...
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Local beat writers and Bill Williamson from ESPN have commented that it's rare that a SB contender gets such a boost of reinforcements halfway thru the season. I haven't seen or heard the national media take hold of this...

I'm really looking forward to Sunday obviously, but the next few weeks should be really telling.

We've waited to see Tank Carradine in action. Getting Crabtree and Manningham will significantly improve the passing game, not by shear passing yardage, but by cleaner box for our running attack. Both those guys, with Boldin and Vernon have to be accounted for. It's also possible that we can reintroduce the 3WR set again.

Also, if we can learn anything from Harbaugh when he's had extended time to prepare, is that there will be a new wrinkle or two...

Remember Staley and Sopoaga catching passes?

That's what I'm excited about. The wrinkle...

3wr sets i like em,
Vern boldin mario, at wr, miller gore
With kaep, mismatch to be made here. Miller and gore can both catch as well as kaep running out of this as well :)
Frankly not expecting much change.

The 49ers are not going to suddenly turn into the Houston Oilers spread offense.

Our staff is not on crack. And they understand football. They don't play fantasy football.
Originally posted by VDSF:

I almost agree with this person's assessment:

WR-I give it a D because no one else besides Boldin makes an impact on the game.

TE-I give it a B only because Vance Mcdonald hasn't been a good 2nd TE as of yet. Vernon has been playing out of his mind. Ok, ok, i give it a B+ but I would LOVE to see Vance step it up and i would like to see Colin give him the ball on one-on-one situations, and let Mcdonald use his height/size to shield defenders.

DL-Maybe it's me, but I think Justin's and Ray's play at LOS has slowed down this year. The both of them hasn't been impactful as years past. I still love the cowboy as he still will command the double team but Ray hasn't been dominate since 2011 IMO. So I would give them a B- even though Dorsey is playing well.

ST- When I looked at the grade this unit got, i almost spit out my water! The special teams have been damn right dominate and deserves an A. While Dawson hasn't been impressive, he's a huge upgrade over Akers. Lee is doing his thang AND the ST coverage units have been DOMINATE. However, the reason why we're graded so low on ST...... Kyle Williams....enough said.

I thought the QB play was graded a little too high but Colin is the starting QB of a 6-2 team. Not bad at all and he's going to get better with Crabs and Manny coming back....oh yea, with experience as well.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Nov 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM ]
This article couldn't be more spot on. This offense is in serious trouble if they do not start making some adjustments.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1845078-panthers-vs-49ers-takeaways-from-san-franciscos-10-9-loss-to-carolina
Thigh game aginst a good team...Int by Bowmen....Mcdonlad making a catch...recovering a fumble at the end of the game...If one of these goes our way then we win the game...just how the ball bounces sometimes....
We miss Delaney and somebody that could take the top off a defense.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
This article couldn't be more spot on. This offense is in serious trouble if they do not start making some adjustments.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1845078-panthers-vs-49ers-takeaways-from-san-franciscos-10-9-loss-to-carolina

The 6th slide says it all.
Originally posted by verb1der:

The 6th slide says it all.

That slide plus the one about Greg Roman's inability to use other players outside of Vernon and Boldin.

I've felt that way for a while but when the author mentions specific players in other offenses, I can't help but point the finger at Roman for it all.

The OL got beaten bad but why not call quick hitting plays to counter it? Slants? Screens?
I am listening to Barrows on Fitz and Brooks right now and he mentioned that Grant Cohn asked Harbaugh about the lack of screen passes and slants. Harbaugh apparently responded with "I don't know. Duly noted."

Please tell me this is not the first time anyone on that staff is noticing!

This article was dead on, esp the last slide pointing to the lack of using non-marquee players. I would also add not using Gore/Miller more in the passing attack and the failure to utilize LMJ in the return game; specifically kickoffs (punt returns appear to be a weaker area for him). And whatever happened to Cox as a punt returner? Guy looked really good back when. This stubborn attachment to Kyle Williams is getting ridiculous.
We are heading towards wild card territory, if we get into the playoffs at all, especially following Roman's suspect play calling.
While we're at it, how about some honesty re the O-line. Does the word overrated come to mind? Pass protection was abysmal and has never been impressive, and the success of our run game is as much a testament to Gore's vision, tenacity and ability to ferret out the slightest of seams to penetrate as it is to good blocking.
I thought the Seattle game was ugly, which it was, but this one, after a bye and 2 weeks preparation................ugh!
Roman needs to be FIRED!! We have all the weapons in the world but he doesn't know what to do with it or how to use them.
I am listening to Barrows on Fitz and Brooks right now and he mentioned that Grant Cohn asked Harbaugh about the lack of screen passes and slants. Harbaugh apparently responded with "I don't know. Duly noted."

Please tell me this is not the first time anyone on that staff is noticing!

fire roman pls
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
This article was dead on, esp the last slide pointing to the lack of using non-marquee players. I would also add not using Gore/Miller more in the passing attack and the failure to utilize LMJ in the return game; specifically kickoffs (punt returns appear to be a weaker area for him). And whatever happened to Cox as a punt returner? Guy looked really good back when. This stubborn attachment to Kyle Williams is getting ridiculous.
We are heading towards wild card territory, if we get into the playoffs at all, especially following Roman's suspect play calling.
While we're at it, how about some honesty re the O-line. Does the word overrated come to mind? Pass protection was abysmal and has never been impressive, and the success of our run game is as much a testament to Gore's vision, tenacity and ability to ferret out the slightest of seams to penetrate as it is to good blocking.
I thought the Seattle game was ugly, which it was, but this one, after a bye and 2 weeks preparation................ugh!

Couldn't agree more with the OL. They can sometimes stonewall a good defensive front like they did against Houston and STL this year, but it is more often to see them act like human turnstiles and Kap is running for his life.

I was telling my GF how much Frank Gore makes that line and Greg Roman look good. There are so many plays where he should be tackled three yards behind the line and somehow he finds a crease and turns it into positive yardage.

Realistically, I think Staley and Boone are the only linemen we have that pass protect well. Maybe that's why New Orleans got rid of Goodwin?
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM ]
T.O. being there f**ked us up lol
Share 49ersWebzone