There are 195 users in the forums

The, It's time to eat some crow thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Colin Cowherd (an idiot, I know) went into great detail this morning about how Jason Garrett ran three straight running plays on Dallas' last offensive drive yesterday as part of an effort to protect Tony Romo, who's confidence has been beaten senseless this season. Not risking exposing Romo to another game-losing interception, yadda yadda.

Yet, I got that same feeling yesterday when Harbaugh elected to go for that final field goal, instead of throwing for a first down to run out the clock, or even a touchdown to finish the game. As though he felt he got really really lucky putting the game in Alex's hands on the Walker TD, but there was no way he was going to risk doing that again.

Again, keeping my fingers crossed tight this works out. It will be an interesting two weeks of discussion though. Plenty of second thoughts to be expressed all over the media.

Seems to me that Harbaugh "got really lucky" then a few times this year with Alex Smith. I believe yesterday makes his third come from behind win. You can paint the play and game as a knock at Smith. I'll see it as a good win for the team and another reminder that when Alex is in the redzone he's money.
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
I predicted 10-6 and the division title. Ill probably be eating crow. If the 49ers go 5-5 from here on out I would be correct. Don't see that happening. This is going to be a very good year. (knocking on wood)

I don't think people need to eat crow if they predicted good things, only end of the world. Predicting the exact number of wins is hard, at least you said we were going to be above 500 and win the division. I myself thought 9-7 and at best 10-6, win the division. Also said that Aldon Smith will turn out to be a good pick as with Hunter. Culliver I didn't know about, but felt, the staff knew better than I. Also said Alex is not the QB who can carry us, but if he can get about 150-175 passing yards we will be alright if Gore gets his 100 yds +. As I said we would be running the ball and not be doing the Bill Walsh WCO.

Also said that the niners should be 3-3 or 4-2 at the break, they did better than I thought. That is the only crow I come close to eating. Oh and Miller has exceeded my expectations-so okay that is a crow. Never did I take the doomsday approach or sky is falling. Said I thought we made good decent moves in the offseason.

All of it is coaching approach-props to JH!
Colin Cowherd (an idiot, I know) went into great detail this morning about how Jason Garrett ran three straight running plays on Dallas' last offensive drive yesterday as part of an effort to protect Tony Romo, who's confidence has been beaten senseless this season. Not risking exposing Romo to another game-losing interception, yadda yadda.

Yet, I got that same feeling yesterday when Harbaugh elected to go for that final field goal, instead of throwing for a first down to run out the clock, or even a touchdown to finish the game. As though he felt he got really really lucky putting the game in Alex's hands on the Walker TD, but there was no way he was going to risk doing that again.

Again, keeping my fingers crossed tight this works out. It will be an interesting two weeks of discussion though. Plenty of second thoughts to be expressed all over the media.

maybe, but a field goal there forces the Lions to score a TD. At that point you trust your D that has been outstanding to prevent an 80 yard drive for a TD rather than simply drive 30 yards or whatever to get into field goal range to send it into overtime.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
I'm listening to the presser right now & I'm not getting this "I'm getting this worried vibe about Alex" He saying the opposite.

bro theres a difference between a top 5 D in detroit and NE's low what 25-28th ranked D?
[ Edited by bayniner21 on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

maybe, but a field goal there forces the Lions to score a TD. At that point you trust your D that has been outstanding to prevent an 80 yard drive for a TD rather than simply drive 30 yards or whatever to get into field goal range to send it into overtime.

That is exactly what he did, make them go for the TD which is harder and more time consuming. If they fail to make first down, then they just need to get to the 38 yd line. No second guessing. Ackers is an all pro. Although, I thought they could have done a squib kick and make them tick off some time trying to pick it up and run it back.
I wrote about all of the reasons why the niners were going to lose to Philly and instead the team had an amazing win. So now I feel like the guy in the Giants commerical who falls off of the ladder and rebreaks his arm because that's what he did when SF won the World Series. So each week I'm going to write why we won't beat the next team on the schedule. Superstition is a b*tch. So sit in the same chair you sat in yeasterday to watch the game or wear the same niner jersery or t-shirt you had on and make nachos at halftime or whatever you did. It's going to be a fun season. I just wish Morgan was healthly and we would really be rolling. Gore would have scored on his first long run if Josh was in the game. Ginn made a terrible attempt to block his man who ended up catching Gore from behind. Josh would have layed that guy out.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

That is exactly what he did, make them go for the TD which is harder and more time consuming. If they fail to make first down, then they just need to get to the 38 yd line. No second guessing. Ackers is an all pro. Although, I thought they could have done a squib kick and make them tick off some time trying to pick it up and run it back.

yeah, it was a good call. I don't think it had anything to do with Alex.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
One thing I've learned about Harbaugh already.

Mind games....

This is a great way to continue to motivate his QB and his offense. In essence, you're 5-1 but you haven't arrived yet.

Harbaugh learned from his dad how to pyschologically motivate people to do their best. Singletary will tell you don't do this and and don't do that, don't be stupid, are you an idiot? Harbaugh-okay if you do this look out for this, look out for that and be careful of that, be smart, okay learn from it and don't do it again or it'll make things harder. If he feels you need to sit he won't deride you, he will sit you and have someone else play and just tell them whats done is done, but you gotta look out for that. (The sit or coming out is his way of saying take rest or cryptically, you better get your head in the game dumbass
Originally posted by Nes49:
I'm listening to the presser right now & I'm not getting this "I'm getting this worried vibe about Alex" He saying the opposite.

Tell me about. People on the Webzone read waaaayyy too into things sometimes. Alex will have a good game against Cleveland mark my words.

Originally posted by goodthings19:
Tell me about. People on the Webzone read waaaayyy too into things sometimes. Alex will have a good game against Cleveland mark my words.

Agree. I'm expected a big day from VD as well.
Not sure what is being talked about regarding criticism of Smith by JH. I watched all his interviews and saw him call Smith "Clutch" over and over. Very complimentary. Perhaps I missed something?
I said we would be 5-1 and this point, with our only loss being against Dallas.

I did create a post for this but forgot to hit the submit button.
Back on topic:

I didn't post my prediction; however, I will admit that I bought into the media hype that we would be one of the worst teams due to the short offseason.

I was looking for my prediction in the 6-10 column. I thought I was being optimistic with that!

I will not be eating crow for Alex Smith or Frank Gore. I have been a supporter of both; however, I NEVER EVER predicted that Alex would be playing as well as he is right now. I thought with the same coach/system for 3 years, Alex would be a good QB.

I think Alex is playing like a good QB right now. I would love to see him play like a GREAT QB!

Who's got it better than us? NOBODY!!!!
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by KDTMDSFC:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by English:
P.S. "Be patient, we have a plan". The great plan revealed was the loss of Franklin, Lawson, Baas, Clements, Spikes, and the acquisition of Carlos Rogers, Braylon Edwards, Donte Whitner, Madieu Williams, Jonathan Goodwin, Now, that, my friends, is greatness.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 12, 2011 at 08:13:54 ]

Well, he was right. Amazing call.

You know what sucks? If Maddog really loved this team, he would man up and eat crow so he can enjoy this victorious moment. Instead, he would rather celebrate alone (if at all), rather than admit his mistakes. I always thought he was very knowledgable even if I didn't always agree, but I'm losing a lot of respect for him with every game that passes. I understand some of you want to rub it in his face, personally I dont agree with that. However, I just want him to admit he was wrong and join the party. Its the only logical thing to do.

Good luck with that. Been a member of this site since 2006 and I have NEVER seen the angry one admit he's wrong. NOT ONCE.

That's only 5 years. He probably hasn't been wrong in the last 5 years!

Riiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhttttttttt......

Share 49ersWebzone