There are 242 users in the forums

The, It's time to eat some crow thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think I called 10 wins...but I might be wrong too. I was more optimistic than most, but I don't think I could have been more optimistic without being homerish.

Harbaugh keeps this up and it'll be like in the 80s and 90s when I expected wins.
  • Jiks
I've said from the get go we were a 6 win team last year and lost a good amount of our games by less than a f.g. No way we don't go at least 7-9. A better more seasoned coaching staff, Alex Smith knowing the offense(camp Alex), a possible fix to our pass rush woes in Aldon there was no way we end off worse than last year. There was the argument that we had a new offense and such, but we have went 8-8 with new offenses in the past.
I predicted 2-14 -- lost a major bet -- which reflects my screen name for the rest of the season.

I will gladly eat my serving of crow. I didn't think Harbaugh would turn it around this quickly. I had faith that he eventually would, but I saw this team on the slow, Bill Walsh track. I didn't think you could turn anything around that quickly.

Boy, was I wrong!

This team is fer reals boys and girls. Fer realz.

Buckle down. The rest of the season is about to get very exciting indeed.
I never predicted a W/L because I hoped JH would have the OL turned around by game 10(that is TEN). After the OL pillaging and demoralizing against Saints and then Texans, I wondered if that 10 games was enough to make the OL functional . Coming out early against a relatively weak field, as it turns out, was a blessing. If we had Saints, Texans, Patrioits, GB, in the first 5 weeks, things would have come out differently. Somehow, Harbaugh took what by all rights, should be a very good OL, and did some magic...also known as mighty fine coaching...and turned some talented players around, and headed them in the right direction.

No question, when it was apparent we might get the OL going early on, JH coached around our OL problems, notably Rachal. But I watched his play yesterday, and he was NOT the weak sister. I believe that OL quietly went into that game with the intent of taking it away from Suh, vanderBosch et al. Yes, Fangio and JH coached their hearts out, and they had a superb game plan: negate Suh, throw quick passes(ok, JH called that 1st play a one stepper, but it was a deep route....which is a non starter against Detroit.), and then had the OL block up a storm. On many of those runs, Lions were looking for pass, and if looking for run to right, we ran left. It was the second game in a row, Harbaugh outcoached a really good coach. Since I didn't pick a W/L record, I guess it would have been predicated on 10 games to get the OL to block. Based on that, i probably would have chosen 5-11.

Anybody that thinks great players can make a team great, just has to look at the 9ers. With not much change, Coach Harbaugh has finally , at long last, taken us out of the wilderness and into the light. Glory be. As for rest of yr? The 4 teams mentioned above, probably would beat us 9 out of 10 times. But we are up from the depths, the talent has been harnessed and trained, and who knows what we will do against those Saint/Pats/GB/ Texans like teams come end of the yr. One thing for certain:
Bet against Coach Harbaugh at your own risk.
I never made predictions on wins, because I dont believe in that. But, I thought our D would take a step back with Vic at the helm. Boy was I wrong.
I had us starting no better than 3-3 and finishing with 8-9 wins. Harbaugh is a certified bad ass. After 10 years of catching $#!t from fans of every team this is a great feeling. Guys i work with who use to be 9er fans were busting my balls all off season about how the Cardinals are going to take the west. Now guess which bandwagon they wanna jump back on? Crow has never tasted so good.
I predicted 9-7 and 6-7 sacks for Aldon. Elated that I'll be wrong on both.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I figured 8 wins. I thought MAYBE Alex Smith might be decent with an actual QB coach. Thought our oline was terrible. Didn't believe in our secondary.

We've won 3 road games in a row. Do you guys realize how close to impossible that is????
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I predicted 9-7 and 6-7 sacks for Aldon. Elated that I'll be wrong on both.

He's got close to six sacks already doesn't he? And we haven't even seen him play his best game yet!

Aldon Smith is a beast who will, someday (maybe this season), be the most feared lineman in the NFL.
IWASwrong, I am assuming Aldon is now part of a 4-3, correct? I have now watched the tape 3 times, and i think that we basically run 4-3 most of the time. The few times we run 3-4, it seems we get scorched. Aldon at DE is a definite problem for Os, and then there is Justin to account for. Then while teams are scheming around those two guys, they suddenly realize they got Big Mac and Soap in their facemasks. If this isn't going to become one of our best DLs of all time, I will eat my laptop. Anyone out there think we are playing much 3-4 if at all. Virtually all game it looked like we rushed four all game, and had Bowman, or Carlos or p52 also blitz on occasion.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
IWASwrong, I am assuming Aldon is now part of a 4-3, correct? I have now watched the tape 3 times, and i think that we basically run 4-3 most of the time. The few times we run 3-4, it seems we get scorched. Aldon at DE is a definite problem for Os, and then there is Justin to account for. Then while teams are scheming around those two guys, they suddenly realize they got Big Mac and Soap in their facemasks. If this isn't going to become one of our best DLs of all time, I will eat my laptop. Anyone out there think we are playing much 3-4 if at all. Virtually all game it looked like we rushed four all game, and had Bowman, or Carlos or p52 also blitz on occasion.

We played the whole game in Nickel because the Lions use 3-4 WRs most of the time. We still run the 3-4 but this game we used the extra CB based on what the Lions do
I was wrong, I predicted 9-7, which I considered an optimistic prediction.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

We have been playing in a Nickel D because teams are passing more. Parys was injured as well so Aldon was being used as an OLB for part of the Detroit game. We are not changing schemes, we are adjusting to the personnel package that is on the field.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/156102-pymwymi-2011-2012-edition-year/
Originally posted by Antix:
I figured 8 wins. I thought MAYBE Alex Smith might be decent with an actual QB coach. Thought our oline was terrible. Didn't believe in our secondary.

We've won 3 road games in a row. Do you guys realize how close to impossible that is????

The last qb to lead there team to 3 comeback road wins was hoe Montana
Alex is doing a great job this year

Can't wait till we get Braylon back
Share 49ersWebzone