LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 187 users in the forums

Morgan Officially placed on IR according to 49ers.com

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He'll be back just in time for the superbowl against the pats and gets voted sb mvp after catching 3 TDs
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Joshua Morgan, who since entering the league in 2008 has been the 49ers' most dependable and durable wide receiver, will have surgery today on his fractured right ankle, according to a source with knowledge of the procedure. The 49ers have not yet decided whether Morgan, 26, will be placed on injured reserve, which would end his season.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/10/wr-morgan-to-undergo-surgery-today.html#ixzz1aOmFsLbY

Doesn't mean he's out yet......

Surgery doesn't mean season ending anymore, even if he's out for 8 weeks we can still use him for the last divisional games and the playoff push.
Currently, the 49ers have two practice-squad receivers: Joe Hastings and former University of San Diego player John Matthews.The 49ers can also be expected to add a receiver to the 53-man roster. But it's doubtful any player added will be anything but No. 4 on the depth chart initially. And when Edwards returns, that player would likely be No. 5.

The 49ers have not used a four-receiver set through the first five games, so right now the 49ers must be content with Crabtree and Ginn, with increased play time on third downs for Williams. And they can certainly get by with No. 2 tight end Delanie Walker getting even more playing time.

Among the players the 49ers will consider are Hastings, as well as Dominique Zeigler and Lance Long, veterans who were among the team's final cuts of training camp.

The most notable receivers without a team are, of course, Terrell Owens and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Owens sustained a torn ACL in April. He might not be ready to play for another month or more. The 49ers need a receiver who can at least practice now without any restrictions.

The 49ers tried to make a splash at wide receiver after the lockout. The club pursued Plaxico Burress, and even got him on a flight to the Bay Area, before he decided to sign with the New York Jets.

The 49ers worked out receiver Donnie Avery early in the season. He signed recently with the Tennessee Titans. Last week, no wide receivers worked out for teams across the NFL.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Whats-next-for-49ers-at-receiver?blockID=575052&feedID=5884
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Joshua Morgan, who since entering the league in 2008 has been the 49ers' most dependable and durable wide receiver, will have surgery today on his fractured right ankle, according to a source with knowledge of the procedure. The 49ers have not yet decided whether Morgan, 26, will be placed on injured reserve, which would end his season.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/10/wr-morgan-to-undergo-surgery-today.html#ixzz1aOmFsLbY

Personally I think they should put him on IR. I'm betting he'll be out 6-8 weeks and they're pretty thin at WR, so they could use the roster spot instead of moving a player back to the PS.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Personally I think they should put him on IR. I'm betting he'll be out 6-8 weeks and they're pretty thin at WR, so they could use the roster spot instead of moving a player back to the PS.

Once the surgery is over and the doctors get a followup visit we should know more. I would keep him active if he's at 8 weeks or less.
Bring in Ziegler or Justin Gage, or hopefully if Morgan can get back in 8 weeks I'd go for P.S. player

He'll stay on the roster but we will just go with 4 TE sets while we wait for Braylon to come back.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I'm sure some one has mentioned this but as much as we abhor T.O.....he really wouldn't be a terrible option. His work ethic is undeniable and he's familiar with the WCO. With Braylon AND Joshua out...we're really lacking in the "big physical WR" dept. Owens would be a decent stop gap.

I agree Lambda, I think he would help out the offense a lot. And I don't think he would cause that much of a stir knowing that his career is coming to an end and he would be expendable without hesitation. Low risk high reward IMO.

We already have a posession WR that drops a lot..we don't need a 2nd. We need someone who is quietly consistent.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Im sorry to say but up by that much and to go for it on 4th down thats where u just play it safe an go for the field goal.
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Bring in Ziegler or Justin Gage, or hopefully if Morgan can get back in 8 weeks I'd go for P.S. player

I'm afraid to bring in Ziegler because he is so fragile, I don't think he'll even last 2 games. I wish Chris Hogan was available but the damn Giants got him. TO knows the WCO and I wouldn't mind seeing him in red and gold again, but I will trust the coaches will make a good decision because they have done great so far.

If there's no serious ligament damage I'd bet there's a good chance he could be back for the stretch run of Division games in December . . . that would give him eight weeks.
Seems like the same type of surgery that has gotten more and more common for foot/ankle breaks. Some bones just dont heal on their own and if the surgery was to put a screw in one of those bones then the recovery is only 4-6 weeks. If the surgery was for something other than that... then IR is the more likely scenario.

I think Ziggy comes back for a shot since there is familiarity within the organization, and the one week he was able to play in preseason it was mentioned he caught on pretty fast.
Enough of this bad karma crap. Harbaugh made it clear that with 4 plus minutes left in the game, you don't start taking a knee. You have to play. Is it unfortunate? Of course it is. So the game wasn't perfect. What in life is? All it means is that Harbaugh and Baalke have to find a replacement until Braylon gets back on Oct 30th. I like 5xchamps idea of bringing in Zeigler or Justin Gage. If not, one of the practice squad guys like Lance Long. Turn the page and get ready for a big time showdown with the Lions.
this just bums me out. but, that's football. someone else has got to step up. I think Williams is ready to make some plays. I just hope that Morgan can come back late in the year and help us make a playoff push, and then re-sign when the season is over.
  • dj43

Once the surgery is over and the doctors get a followup visit we should know more. I would keep him active if he's at 8 weeks or less.

The surgery will tell the story. Unless it is a fractured fibula, I would expect he could come back in December. Fibula takes a long time to heal. The blood supply at the lower end of the fib is much less than other bones.

We may not know exactly what happened as the 49ers don't give out much info. However, if they do not put him on IR right away, it will indicate a relatively minor break.
Share 49ersWebzone