LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

More evidence that our offensive line is terrible

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nickbradley:
umm, we have a s**tty O-line, a good running back, and an excellent run defense.

Lets see how that plays out after more than 4 games.
The horrible OL that I have complained about has suddenly become much better. Now either they are playing better or...they are playing differently. Let's face it. Look back for 8 yrs of game films and the one thing you see over and over is we couldn't beat a box 8 (8 guys on LOS). Well, now that is being coached around by the one thing that makes a box 8 back off into a 3-4 or a 4-3. And that is 1-2 step passes, also known as snap it and sling it. You look at eagles , cincy, SEA...until alex could connect on the quick slants or outs, mostly thrown within two seconds of receiving the snap, the Ds crowded the LOS. Once he hit on really quick passes, they backed off. Then all of a sudden our 5 OL guys were playing against 5 D guys, not 8. As soon as that happened, our Ol looked pretty darn good. Our best bet to win any game is to get the short passes, quick passes completed early on, the D backs up and suddenly our mid and long passes open up and th OL can block for frank or hunter.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The horrible OL that I have complained about has suddenly become much better. Now either they are playing better or...they are playing differently. Let's face it. Look back for 8 yrs of game films and the one thing you see over and over is we couldn't beat a box 8 (8 guys on LOS). Well, now that is being coached around by the one thing that makes a box 8 back off into a 3-4 or a 4-3. And that is 1-2 step passes, also known as snap it and sling it. You look at eagles , cincy, SEA...until alex could connect on the quick slants or outs, mostly thrown within two seconds of receiving the snap, the Ds crowded the LOS. Once he hit on really quick passes, they backed off. Then all of a sudden our 5 OL guys were playing against 5 D guys, not 8. As soon as that happened, our Ol looked pretty darn good. Our best bet to win any game is to get the short passes, quick passes completed early on, the D backs up and suddenly our mid and long passes open up and th OL can block for frank or hunter.

The Eagles have the worst defense in the national football league. all they can do is generate sacks, that's it. Statistically on FootballOutsiders they are #32 in defense and #1 in sacks. That just reflects a reckless defensive scheme run by a novice.
The Eagles have the worst defense in the national football league. all they can do is generate sacks, that's it. Statistically on FootballOutsiders they are #32 in defense and #1 in sacks. That just reflects a reckless defensive scheme run by a novice.

I think they said their DC was their O.C last year. So far he is trash, id be surprised if he lasts past their bye week.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I think they said their DC was their O.C last year. So far he is trash, id be surprised if he lasts past their bye week.

I don't know how you have Samuel, Nnamdi, be #1 in sacks, and have the worst defense.
I blame Johnny Unitas
I'm really hoping it's the O-line that the shortened offseason affected the most and that they are just about to get their act together and play like professionals. Really hoping.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I'm really hoping it's the O-line that the shortened offseason affected the most and that they are just about to get their act together and play like professionals. Really hoping.

O-lines do gel throughout a season as long as they stay healthy.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I don't think they are terrible in the least. Have they played terrible? For the most part, but Oline is one of the tougher positions to come together. Give them time to gel.

This...

Some of you guys are just looking at it from what you currently see. Right now they are terrible. Does that mean Ted Ginn is amazing for what he did in the first game? Harbaugh takes the 3 points in the Dallas game and he is just like Singletary and then he calls timeout with 1 second left before the half against Philly and he's a genius????

The Oline has the talent. They are learning a new scheme and they need time to gel. Same thing as the eagles D. Too much talent on that D to keep playing that bad. They need time for all those superstars to learn their role. Our Oline will keep getting better but the most important thing is to execute long drives, less penalties, and no turnovers.
Block motherf**kers

The 2010 Bears went 11-5 with a poor offensive line. But they made up for it with the #2 run defense in the NFL and excellent special teams. Sound familiar?

no.

Yes...........
So all this proves is Alex smith > all the rest.

Well it does show that Alex Smith is the best quarterback with a s**tty offensive line. Atlanta's O-line has been horrible this year too and Matt Ryan has suffered as a result and there's a lot of press on that.

interesting point!
Do we really need more evidence? 25k for leg whipping should say it all

I don't know how you have Samuel, Nnamdi, be #1 in sacks, and have the worst defense.

I read an article where they are blaming the LB's, it didn't really look like it was the LB's fault. IT really looked like teh secondary and coaching staff causing the probs.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is for people who aren't trusting what they were seeing from the line on game day. Or ignore it all together, and just blame it on Smith. I think the line did play better in the second half against the Eagles. But they might be just bad the next game. It's like waiting for A. Smith to play 2-3 good games in a row...

Or we adjusted to take advantage of a very bad eagles front seven. They generate a ton of sacks, but according to FO (advanced stats) the Eagles have the worst defense in the NFL -- 28th vs the pass and 29th vs the run.

How can you have the 28th defense against the pass if you have "shutdown" corner backs on both sides?
Aren't "shutdown" corner backs supposed to be our missing link, preventing our team from becoming Super Bowl favorites?

SOOO glad we didn't write that check to Nnamdi.
Share 49ersWebzone