LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 147 users in the forums

The Harbaugh Effect Has 49ers Relevant Again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This whole "trying to find our identity thing" is so well thought out and I believe that he will continue to be "finding" it just to throw the entir league off.

Starting Hunter last week was also another thing that I give him credit for, sure Gore was a little banged up but he made it seem like he was not going to have that many touches.

Throwing Sopoaga in as an extra full back.

Waiting till the 2nd half to unleash Aldon Smith.

Please feel free to add to this list, he is making all the right moves by not revealing what kind of football team they are. I just watched his Monday Presser and love the way he talks to the media. He makes it hard for people to read him and that's exactly the type of coach you want to have leading your team!
I like potatoes.

J/K ... no but seriously, yes, nothing wrong with a HC being rather enigmatic. I think we will still have to do more in the pass game to really convince teams that they can't key on our RBs... but that 2nd half will make our opponents at least understand that we CAN hurt them in the air if they push their luck. I think for as long as Jim is here, he will continue to give opposing defenses new and creative things to deal with. As things progress, I think we will be balanced enough to keep defenses on their toes... and if that's the case? It just gets better and better. If teams have to play us honestly? That's where we will really begin to impress the league.
I don't think Harbaugh is the first to put Sopoaga in as a lead blocker. I'm pretty sure the clueless Singletary did it last year.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I don't think Harbaugh is the first to put Sopoaga in as a lead blocker. I'm pretty sure the clueless Singletary did it last year.

He did but barely used it, I think they did it in practice more than in actual games.
what i find is harbaugh has a plan that he believes in and is sticking to it.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Shaj:
How important do you guys think Greg Roman is to the team? If our offense turns around I could see him leaving after the 2012 or 2013 season to become a HC.
It would be great if someone would chart the 9ers pass attempts the first four games. My memory is not great on this but it seems they have moved pass attempts around from game to game so that Ds couldn't key on particular areas. Teams looking at 9ers film will not see a pattern so far...at least I don't. For instance, there were few if any outs Sunday and the slant was back in. A few long attempts here and there but no pattern as to when they were thrown.

That is something Walshian we can hang our hats on and Roman/Harbaugh deserve a lot of credit for this. Also love the fact that 8 guys were involved with catching the ball. Josh Morgan with more than 20 yd average? Great!

Let's bury the "Genuis" label though because other coaches and commentators hung that around Walsh's neck, like a dead bird on a dog, to mock him. Turned out to be true in his case but he put up with a lot of grief in the mean time.
Originally posted by theginz2004:
How important do you guys think Greg Roman is to the team? If our offense turns around I could see him leaving after the 2012 or 2013 season to become a HC.

Hmm, I think he's very important but I trust that Harbaugh will have someone ready to step in and fill his role. Just like I think he can do with the players on the field. If we lose a player for whatever reason someone will be ready to go in without missing a beat.

doubt it...he's pretty loyal to harbaugh

Jumping a little ahead of ourselves are we?
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Oct 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM ]
  • Veteran

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Jumping a little ahead of ourselves are we?

Yeah I know but it has just been something that I was thinking about. In the offseason I read that Roman really is the brain behind play design and I was just curious if him leaving would have the same effect on the team as our other OCs even though we have an offensive minded coach.
Originally posted by 190836:

Share 49ersWebzone