Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Exactly.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Our defensive backfield is very bad. Vick threw for over 400 yards. I love the front seven but our defensive backs make me want to . And unless the 49ers fix this problem the offense will be asked to make a lot more comebacks in the near future. But Ill enjoy this win all week and pray the DB's pick up their game real soon.

They won't face speed like this very often, most qbs especially good ones do not have the escapability of Vick.

exactly, the 9ers wont be facing a fast offense like this the remainder of the yr. the eagles have the fastest offense in the league, name me 1 defense that has NOT given up big plays to maclin and jackson as well look like fools trying to sack vick. i just hope in the future we can find a wr like maclin or jackson theyre awesome weapons to have

They also threw it deep like 1000 times.

Our DB's were a part in only giving up 3 points in the second half.

Exactly.

Well I hope all you guys are right. But I have seen some bad playing ( taking bad angles ) from the DB's in almost every game. On the 61 yarder given up by Terrell Brown and the 45 yarder given up by Madieu Williams, Vick did nothing special. He just dropped back an fired down field to way open Desean Jackson. Had Brown not got his hand on Jackson's ankle on the 61 yarder the 49ers are 2-2 because, Desean scores and the game is over IMO. And it didn't take the athletic Michael Vick we all hear about to make those plays happen. It was a simple throw and catch from Vick to Jackson. Those two plays alone net 106 of Vicks 416 passing yards. And again nothing special from Vick on those plays.

the front seven might have had like.... a BILLION sacks if it was any other QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by zainladha:
our d isnt bad

Our defensive backfield is very bad. Vick threw for over 400 yards. I love the front seven but our defensive backs make me want to . And unless the 49ers fix this problem the offense will be asked to make a lot more comebacks in the near future. But Ill enjoy this win all week and pray the DB's pick up their game real soon.

Vick thew for 400 yards because he can do things most QB's can't do. I thought our DB's played very well. Remember, we only gave up 3 points in the second half.

I agree. But I also think that people have to realize that the NFL has changed. We alway hear that it's now a "passing league." That means that the rules have changed to make it easier to pass. It's only natural that we are starting to see high three and 400 yards more often. It's like 300s the new 200 and 400, the new 300.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
Was listening to them on the way in to work and they had the Philly correspndant on, Sal Palentonio, and he gave props to the 49ers after they asked him about the game. He singled out Navarro Bowman as a tackling machine and said Aldon Smith whipped Jason Peters in the 4th quarter. He also talked about the timeout Harbaugh used with 1 second left in the 1st half. Said it sent a message to the players about how the 49ers will be competing every second in every game.

Damn it feels good. I don't want to get ahead of myself but this victory feels good and we as fans deserve this.

I also want to give props to Ronnie Brown and Alex Henery. I still can't believe Ronnie Brown tried to pass the ball back while getting tackled on the goal-line.

I believe that's how the play was called - Ronnie was supposed to throw the ball if there isn't any running room, but he got hit so far behind the LOS that he didn't have time to throw - at that point he should have just tucked the ball in, but he stupidly decided to throw the ball. In my opinion, it was a bad play-call to begin with. Andy Reid is a damn good coach, but he makes some horrendous calls as well.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
When he called that timeout before halftime Jim Mora jr was dogging him out. I didn't really think too much of it but if he was sending a message to the team it was a brillant move. Thats why Jim Mora Jr is in the broadcasting booth now.

What did that f**k say?

Mora said that the timeout was pointless. He questioned the call saying "that stuff may work in college, but not in the NFL".

In the end, it really didn't matter, but it sure got Mora all fired up at the time.

Well...Mora is no longer employed as an NFL Head Coach after flaming out TWICE, so perhaps he might want to STFU.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
When he called that timeout before halftime Jim Mora jr was dogging him out. I didn't really think too much of it but if he was sending a message to the team it was a brillant move. Thats why Jim Mora Jr is in the broadcasting booth now.

What did that f**k say?

Mora said that the timeout was pointless. He questioned the call saying "that stuff may work in college, but not in the NFL".

In the end, it really didn't matter, but it sure got Mora all fired up at the time.

Well...Mora is no longer employed as an NFL Head Coach after flaming out TWICE, so perhaps he might want to STFU.

he really was patting himself on the back the whole game.

"When I used to coach Vick he used to "

"That's looks like the old Vick i used to coach ."

"I remember when i used to coach Vick.... "
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I feel bad for anyone that only has one sports radio station in ESPN and is forced to listen to probably the worst morning show in Mike and Mike.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM ]
I wish i heard some of the positive broadcasts. All day ive just been hearing how just as i said in a different thread it would be "the eagles lost and idn twinno didnt win nor did they deserve to win."
I understand the eagles made mistakes. 1 int, 2 missed fg's and 2 fumbles. Niners had a fumble and two missed fg's, and had a few dropped balls that could have extended drives.
Point is the niners made mistakes to. So why is it the eagles lost the game if the niners made mistakes to.
I get the niners are not a great team that people want to talk about yet but give credit where dcredit is due at the very least.
Originally posted by Jcool:
I feel bad for anyone that only has one sports radio station in ESPN and is forced to listen to probably the worst morning show in Mike and Mike.
There voices make me cringe, only listened for a week, some of the most annoying cats on the network.
Originally posted by cortana49:
He kept saying, "Well, I'm sure there is SOME reason that he's doing this, but I don't know what it is." He kept repeating this (you could tell he was trying to sound nice, but WANTED to be critical) and then finally said, "It's just going to get your players hurt". I kept saying SHUT UP MORA! YOU'RE IN THE BROADCAST BOOTH NOW! YOU WANT TO COACH AGAIN??!!? YOU SOUND LIKE A HAS-BEEN!!

Didn't Sal also quiped how the other sports reporters in the booth moaned because they wanted to go get their hot dogs for their fat a$$e$?
I think the positive side was Vick created alot of those plays himself. He's the only guy elusive enough to keep alot of those plays going. The secondary wasn't great but you have to give Philly's offense it's due.

We contained them enough to win. Alot of luck was involved but he we had our fair share of missed opportunities too.

Found this in yahoo the winners and losers areticle...apparently stats not W's make you a winner...

OK, I know the Eagles lost, but Michael Vick(notes), a week after making headlines with his complaints (and subsequent apology) about the officiating, came up with the right fix for what the real problem was with the Eagles' pass protection: He was a lot more decisive. Vick got rid of the ball faster in the passing game and took off running right away rather than dance around in the pocket trying to create a play. Fact is, Vick would be celebrating a victory and one of the best games of his career (416 yards passing) if not for an erratic kicker (don't you hate those guys when they're bad?). With this offensive line, Vick has to realize that he can't afford to play around in the pocket. Beyond that, with the playmakers Philadelphia has, Vick has to be willing to let other people make plays for him so he can survive the long haul.

further down ...

That San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith started to show a little composure this week after a grueling start to the season. Yeah, the 49ers got a lot of help to win that game at Philadelphia, but give Smith credit for helping guide the comeback with one of the better games of his career.
On Around the Horn, they said not one word about the niners, and on PTI, they threw in some half ass compliment as time expired. No respect, but that's how Jim likes it.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
Found this in yahoo the winners and losers areticle...apparently stats not W's make you a winner...

OK, I know the Eagles lost, but Michael Vick(notes), a week after making headlines with his complaints (and subsequent apology) about the officiating, came up with the right fix for what the real problem was with the Eagles' pass protection: He was a lot more decisive. Vick got rid of the ball faster in the passing game and took off running right away rather than dance around in the pocket trying to create a play. Fact is, Vick would be celebrating a victory and one of the best games of his career (416 yards passing) if not for an erratic kicker (don't you hate those guys when they're bad?). With this offensive line, Vick has to realize that he can't afford to play around in the pocket. Beyond that, with the playmakers Philadelphia has, Vick has to be willing to let other people make plays for him so he can survive the long haul.

further down ...

That San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith started to show a little composure this week after a grueling start to the season. Yeah, the 49ers got a lot of help to win that game at Philadelphia, but give Smith credit for helping guide the comeback with one of the better games of his career.
That's Jason Cole mostly FT D-Bag
He also wrote this on that same Article:
Again, tip your cap to the play of Vick this week even if the Eagles lost, but I still hate watching the Eagles' offensive line. This group is tragic and all you had to see was one play where the 49ers ran a simple weakside blitz and Navorro Bowman(notes), who recovered the aforementioned Ronnie Brown fumble, came clean for a hit on Vick as he tried to get rid of the ball. Eagles left guard Evan Mathis(notes) whiffed on the play, missing the blitz as he helped with a double-team block on an interior defensive lineman.

lol thats what i kept thinking. also when mora said he called the head of officiating during halftime, i thought gee maybe thats why you sucked as a head coach and got fired lol
I actually believe Mora Jr had a good point about the final sequence of the 1st half. Even before the Niners lined up he wondered aloud if they would try to attack with 0:38 left, or run out the clock and head to the locker room, and he wanted to see what Harbaugh would do. Based on the plays the Niners ran, I understand why Mora questioned Harbaugh's decision making and the stoppage at 0:01, since I was doing the same thing. Why take timeout #2 at 0:01 (leaving one on the board), when you have allowed most of the time to run off the clock after a short pass and a run? If you are trying to instill the sense that you fight until the end, then take both remaining timeouts and attack, otherwise kneel down or run and let time expire.
Here's the play-by-play breakdown of the final 0:38 from ESPN's Play-by-Play feature on their GameHQ site, with some comments from me:

1st and 10 at SF 20 (Shotgun) Alex Smith pass short right to F.Gore to SF 22 for 2 yards (A.Samuel). - Why not take timeout #2 here, if you're attacking?
2nd and 8 at SF 22 (Shotgun) Alex Smith pass incomplete short left to M.Crabtree. - Stops the clock, maybe a chance to dial something up?
3rd and 8 at SF 22 (Shotgun) F.Gore left tackle to SF 32 for 10 yards (J.Hanson). - Niners seem to be running out the half.
Timeout #2 by SF at 00:01. - ???
1st and 10 at SF 32 (Shotgun) Alex Smith pass short right to F.Gore to SF 42 for 10 yards (J.Hanson; J.Chaney). - Attack!! Gore in the flat is very aggressive.
End of 1st Half

I have no real love for Mora, just wanted to say I can see what he was talking about in regards to this sequence.
Share 49ersWebzone