There are 182 users in the forums

to the guys that witnessed the glory days...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I remember the '80 season when the Raider fan pattd me on top of my head and made me cry cuz he basically called me a loser. This was a grown ass man too. Hated the Raiders ever since. "The Catch" was one day before my 8th birthday. THAT was one of my best birthdays, (not counting 21 in Vegas of course!) it took my fam an hour to CROSS Mission St. that night. It was beautiful. From that point on, especially the 80's, it was never,"did the Niners win?" instead it was "how much did the Niners win by?" Back then, if the ball was passed and in mid-air, you KNEW the ball was caugh. There was NEVER anxiety when passing like now.

Remember Jerry going in motion and catching the quick slant underneath the backers?? It never failed! Can't the Crab do that now??
The glory days meant Sunday night NFL with Chris Bermen was cluttered with NFL highlights of the Niners dominating. Now we have other teams dominating the niners making the highlights.

One game Montana threw 3 TD's, so they put in Steve Young who threw a few TD's then Steve Bono came in and threw a few TD's. Unstopable. When Shanahan became the offensive coordinator he was told the 9ers where to be in the top in offense or he would lose his job in one year.

FA's wanted to sign with the 9ers.

The niners would win the coin toss and elect to be on defense, 3 and out and take over after a punt. Bryant Young, Charles Haley, Richard Dent, Dana Stubblefield dominated the trenches.

John Taylor being a consumate professional and dominating the single teams.

Jerry Rice taking every pass he caught for a sprint to the end zone in practice.

Good Times
Amazing and missed! Hey good times are coming
Goniners

We expected to win even when we didnt have a running back! Lol thats a lil cocky but we was that good
The gory years, 2003-present
I became a fan in 87 so I was lucky enough to see 3 SB's...but looking back at it now...I took it for granted...Joe Jerry and Steve made it look so easy...I knew they were the best but I didn't realize how rare it was to be that good for that long...it was like ok which quarter will the Niners blow out their opponent...and if they were down ok just wait till the 4th quarter for the come back...now it's like a winning a close game against bad teams like the Bungles...
Originally posted by Hitman49:
I became a fan in 87

For me, that was the year of what still amounts to their most devastating loss to me. Sure, we won the next two Super Bowls, but we were supposed to win it in '87 too. That first round defeat at the hands of the Vikings literally made me cry. I HATE Anthony Carter!!! They even played "Didn't We Almost Have It All" by Whitney Houston during the closing credits. That sure as heck didn't help. lol
Originally posted by putangina:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
I became a fan in 87

For me, that was the year of what still amounts to their most devastating loss to me. Sure, we won the next two Super Bowls, but we were supposed to win it in '87 too. That first round defeat at the hands of the Vikings literally made me cry. I HATE Anthony Carter!!! They even played "Didn't We Almost Have It All" by Whitney Houston during the closing credits. That sure as heck didn't help. lol

yes i remember that...i had a cousin visiting from Minnesota which made it even harder to watch...
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Goosebumps and euphoria.
As a fan born in '88 who's first memory of enjoying football was a Deion Sanders punt or int return in '94 this thread means a lot to me. I don't have ANY memory of Joe Montana (except for playing him on the Chiefs, lol my aunt was crying cuz she missed him) and by the time I was a full-fledged die-hard who knew enough about football to appreciate it, the year was '98 and I got to see the catch II. I'm very fortunate to have witnessed a playoff victory, but I'm ready to get back to the show!!!
  • Sman
I remember 4/5 of all superbowls.... to the op, It was 10 times better than what a patriot fan has gone through the last 10 years.

Even in tight hard fought games, you knew if Joe got the ball late in 4th quarter, that's all the chance you needed!
Originally posted by gold49digger:
What was it like? Watching the great players like montana, rice, young, craig and others shine every game?? I was born in 95 so I completely missed out on the best years of the niners.

this
Originally posted by putangina:

Na man, Roger Craig's fumble is worse
man....there was nothing like Joe's smile, and his arms in in the air.

back then you KNEW who Joe's wife was (Jennifer)...it just seemed like a different time.
I don't know Alex's wife is (i just know she was a Raiderete, and the only reason i know that is because of the WebZone)
I didn't know who Garcia's wife was, I think he might've married after he left maybe...but I just know she is a model.....and most likely would not have marry him if he wasn't a millionaire.
and Steve wasn't married at the time.

but anyway, yeah we were just soooo fortune back then.....the Class of the NFL. We would go on the road and win. Anytime Bill Walsh spoke, you would just listen. I still have his book. I have soooo much love for that man, and I've never met him. Went to his memorial at Candlestick.

its funny, I was just thinking how cool it would be if there was a way to watch all of Joe's TDs...as well as other highlights. I'd buy a BluRay disc of this if possible. But I don't think the NFL does stuff like that.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I guess these past 10-15 years have altered history in some people's minds... Yes, the glory years were great, but they weren't perfect. We lost games, we did not win the Super Bowl every year, and our players made mistakes. Even worse, the management's philosophy for players was to let them go 2-3 years before their prime was over. Montana, Craig, Lott, Rice and many others all had productive years after they left SF, and that was hard to watch. Heartbreaking really. Debartolo and Walsh were 100% cutthroat - where do you think Bellichick gets his attitude and strategy from? He's a mold from Walsh.

Now I wouldn't trade anything about that time. I grew up watching the Niners be great, I only had to watch them for 2 years before they became champs (80-81). It has been like hell watching this team the past 10 years. But it has taught me something really valuable - that winning professional championships is about so much more than great players and coaches. It takes an entire organization all being on the same page, top to bottom working as one cohesive unit. I have so much more respect for championships now than I did then. When we win the Super Bowl again, it will be so much sweeter. Kind of like the Giants last year, after 50 years of not winning a World Series, to finally get it was life changing. Let's just hope it doesn't take that long for our Niners to be great again!
Share 49ersWebzone