LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

More Hunter, Less Gore....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gamechanger:
What about his fumbling late in games, how do we get that fixed?

Thats Gore being Gore, it did give me flash backs to his first couple years in the NFL where everytime he smelled the redzone he would fumble the ball on the 2 yard line.
Hunter should get a few touches in situations where his skill sets will help the team

we cant worry about Frank's ego, if we are going to develop a productive offense, then our playmakers should be given every chance to succeed and produce ...we cant worry about one players feelings, it's about getting W's.. if we are focused on making sure one certain player is satisfied with the amount of touches he gets, then the offense will have a tough line growing together .

But first things first ..The offensive line needs to step it up
Originally posted by adembroski:
Wow... lame thread. Hunter has been just as unproductive as Gore, just happened to get away on one of the few well-blocked runs of the season so far. One play, in three games, and you're calling for Gore's head? I realize some of you just want Hunter to get more snaps, but the big picture here is they're performing pretty much equally, and Gore is a significantly better blocker. I don't want him taken off the field any more than necessary as the team needs every effective block it can get at this point.

Really, really sad. The problem is not the backs, it's the line.

You're right about the line but not about the rest. Can't just look at the stats. Their YPC may be similar, but their is no denying that when Hunter is in there he has done more with less. There were multiple Hunter runs where he gets hit 4 yards behind the LOS because of poor blocking but manages to get a 1 yard gain. And his 11 yard runs were through tiny holes that Gore would of gotten sucked up into. On the flip side you put Hunter in some of those situations where Gore had nice gains but then gets ran down by a LB trying to turn the corner and there isnt a doubt that Hunter gains more yardage.

And from what I've seen so far Hunter is surprisingly the better pass protector. Im biased though cause the one poor attempt on the bengal player that sacked Smith while Gore just put his head down and sulked while Smith was fighting to stay up... WTF Frank! Get in there and start chipping those guys off your QB! To me that was a defining moment in the game where his heart just wasnt in it, and I lost it. Two guys are roughing up your QB and you just stand there with your head down like a beaten puppy? Unacceptable. Then he just walked away by himself without helping Smith up or glancing back to make sure he's fine. I love Gore, he plays his heart out or at least used to, but one or two more plays with body language like that in a game this season and he should be benched.

Its not about replacing, its about sharing time. But holy hell if I see one more toss to Gore on 2nd down followed by Hunter up the middle on third... my liver is gonna hate me!

@ Philly I wanna see us with 4 wr sets (2WR, 2TE but split out) and hunter in the back field. Line up in shotgun and either force their LB's to cover DW & VD or force Mathews to try and tackle Hunter on the draw or swing passes... I dont think their LBs can do either. But our WR's are gonna get dominated with no Braylon :(.
Did you guys see Gore's reaction to Kendall Hunter's touchdown? After giving Delanie Walker a high five when Walker was coming off of the field, Gore turns around and shouts the F word. It was very telling.
[ Edited by LionHeartofGold on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Did you guys see Gore's reaction to Kendall Hunter's touchdown? After giving Delanie Walker a high five when Walker was coming off of the field, Gore turns around and shouts the F word. It was very telling.

Re-watched it on game rewind... looks like he said that... couldn't really tell. Could be Frank mad at himself for the fumble earlier causing them to put in Hunter. could be he was mad about his injury. Doubt he has any ill feelings towards Hunter. He got his contract... now if that is him pissed off at Hunter or the coaches then I would be really shocked because he has always been a team 1st guy. He gave it 110% in a lot of games we got blown out by 30-40 and when a lot of team mates had given up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He knows this year that he actually has a back up that can play so he needs to get his s**t together quickly or he will be watching more TDs from the sideline.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Re-watched it on game rewind... looks like he said that... couldn't really tell. Could be Frank mad at himself for the fumble earlier causing them to put in Hunter. could be he was mad about his injury. Doubt he has any ill feelings towards Hunter. He got his contract... now if that is him pissed off at Hunter or the coaches then I would be really shocked because he has always been a team 1st guy. He gave it 110% in a lot of games we got blown out by 30-40 and when a lot of team mates had given up.

I agree with u, although he has always been a team guy, he doesn't like to share the carries especially if the other is scoring tds. I wldve been sayin f yeah not recalling past mistakes
Originally posted by susweel:

He knows this year that he actually has a back up that can play so he needs to get his s**t together quickly or he will be watching more TDs from the sideline.

2.9 vs 2.4. Hunter scored a TD but let's not get on his nuts yet.
I would like to see a running back by committee approach with the use of all of our RB's but especially with the rotation of Gore and Hunter. Look right now our RB's are all having a tough time running against 8 in the box and defenses keying on them and that is also being compounded by our very own OL as they continue to struggle. The 2.4 and 2.9 ypc show it's been tough for both our RB's so far , so keeping both of them fresher by sharing the load seems logical to me. I don't buy into all of this crap about Gore has lost it , people need to pay attention to our OL. IMHO
posting in Niner Talk is like wading into a pool of stupid...

can we please stop with the "Gore is finished!" talk after 3 games? hes coming off an injury and a lockout shortened offseason. not to mention nobody seems to bother looking at how bad the OL has been playing. hes getting NO help from his line. theres been no holes to run though, so its hard for him to do anything.

It amazes me how the OL is tissue paper thin, allowing Smith to get hit 2 steps into his dropback, and giving Gore nothing to run through, and instead of pointing at them, everyone says Smith sucks, and Gore is finished.

at any point in these first 3 games, have you noticed any running lanes open for Gore? nothing is open. when Gore is coming off an injury, nothing is open, and Harbaugh keeps trying to run him outside the tackles where he doesnt belong, of course hes going to look bad!

I wouldnt blame any Niners if they wanted to leave SF, because this fanbase is about as ungrateful and unintelligent as they come. Gore is arguably the best RB in 49ers history. the best in the last 30-40 years for sure, and after 3 mediocre games the fanbase has turned on him, saying hes old and Kendall Hunter should take over? wtf is wrong with you guys...This happened at the beginning of last season when Willis came out of the gate slow. everyone started talking crap about how he wasnt trying hard enough. then he got All-Pro. again.

I wouldve thought all these years of bad football had driven away everyone who wasnt a hardcore, knowledgeable fan. guess not...

i think the lack of production has more to do with the new zone blocking scheme rather than frank/hunter.
Originally posted by Niners99:
posting in Niner Talk is like wading into a pool of stupid...

can we please stop with the "Gore is finished!" talk after 3 games? hes coming off an injury and a lockout shortened offseason. not to mention nobody seems to bother looking at how bad the OL has been playing. hes getting NO help from his line. theres been no holes to run though, so its hard for him to do anything.

It amazes me how the OL is tissue paper thin, allowing Smith to get hit 2 steps into his dropback, and giving Gore nothing to run through, and instead of pointing at them, everyone says Smith sucks, and Gore is finished.

at any point in these first 3 games, have you noticed any running lanes open for Gore? nothing is open. when Gore is coming off an injury, nothing is open, and Harbaugh keeps trying to run him outside the tackles where he doesnt belong, of course hes going to look bad!

I wouldnt blame any Niners if they wanted to leave SF, because this fanbase is about as ungrateful and unintelligent as they come. Gore is arguably the best RB in 49ers history. the best in the last 30-40 years for sure, and after 3 mediocre games the fanbase has turned on him, saying hes old and Kendall Hunter should take over? wtf is wrong with you guys...This happened at the beginning of last season when Willis came out of the gate slow. everyone started talking crap about how he wasnt trying hard enough. then he got All-Pro. again.

I wouldve thought all these years of bad football had driven away everyone who wasnt a hardcore, knowledgeable fan. guess not...

i thought it was crazy when everyone was talking in the off season about trading gore....mainly because he was coming off a serious injury but also because he is our best offensive player. now i am starting to serious doubt the second part. do you think with having a longer contract in place a team would be willing to trade for him. when i watch the games i literally sit and yell at the tv to get him out of the game at this point. its only been 3 games yes but if you are our best offensive player you do not fumble in the 4th quarter to put the bengals in the red zone in a tight game. that just can not happen. you can blame all his stats on the o-line for all i care but a fumble is just not allowed in that situation.
Originally posted by MarkD:
He scores one touchdown and you want to bench gore? I agree with having Hunter more involved in the game but common.

Gore also fumbled and nearly lost the game for us. He was also terrible in blocking. So far, he doesn't look the part. It kind of makes me mad he cried for a contract. I'm on the boat, HUNTER TIME!!!
Gore put in enough work in his career for the 49ers, I don't feel ripped off at all. With that said its mos def hunter time. When Hunter plays he makes our o line look halfway decent.
Share 49ersWebzone