LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

More Hunter, Less Gore....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not only did Hunter score the game winning touchdown, but Gore also fumbled down by our endzone. Even so, I still would like to split carries because they have contrasting styles. Don't ask me what to do about our line though.
Originally posted by oregonniner:
Not only did Hunter score the game winning touchdown, but Gore also fumbled down by our endzone. Even so, I still would like to split carries because they have contrasting styles. Don't ask me what to do about our line though.

This.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Split time is good for Gore.

We've copied the NY Giants for years, why not implement their RB strategy?

Gore may not want the split time, but he needs it right now.

This. Gore can still start, but Hunter needs more touches. They could even be on the field at the same time too
Gore 2.5 ypc
Hunter 2.9 ypc

Gore had a bad game, but yeah............................
Originally posted by doodle:
Gore 2.5 ypc
Hunter 2.9 ypc

5 of Hunter's 9 carries came when everyone in the stadium knew that we were gonna run the ball for the purpose of running clock at the end of the game.
I'm all for more hunter, but gore is still a great pass protector (god knows we need it with our line play) and a stronger runner inside! I do think hunter to the outside is refreshing
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by doodle:
Gore 2.5 ypc
Hunter 2.9 ypc

5 of Hunter's 9 carries came when everyone in the stadium knew that we were gonna run the ball for the purpose of running clock at the end of the game.

Context + Statistics > Statistics alone
Originally posted by maximill15:
I'm all for more hunter, but gore is still a great pass protector (god knows we need it with our line play) and a stronger runner inside! I do think hunter to the outside is refreshing

Usually, but he was particularly awful at it today
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by maximill15:

Usually, but he was particularly awful at it today

on a couple of plays it looked like he wasn't even trying to block for our QB.
No idea where the thread is..

but as I said in week 1, Hunter will be our starting back by next year if not sooner...

Gore has gotten extremely timid, and it was clear today. Plus his vision for some odd reason taking a dive as well. Still love the guy, still hope he gets his groove and gets out of this funk, but I still want more Kendall.

do it

do it now

now

right now
Yes, so far Hunter > Gore.

Hunter seems to have more energy, and enthusiasm at this point. Surprising ...this...after Gore got his contract.

I guess both will play, which is a ok for the 49ers.

On a more key matter, not sure if the 49ers really have an offense at this point...and what that offense is really made of.
Gore was hurt. Explains some of his demeanor/play during the game.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I don't understand why this coach and the previous coach have made gore the every down "bell cow" despite tons of mileage, plenty of backup options(last year we had westbrook, this year hunter), and a long history of missing games due to injury.

Why can't we just split carries? Hunter is obviously good enough to handle a half-load until we eventually realize gore's best days are gone and give hunter the full load.

Bad pass protection, fumbled, horrible ypc 3 weeks in a row, when are we going to call gore DONE?When his hip breaks again?
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Gore was hurt. Explains some of his demeanor/play during the game.

We still gave him carries... with an injury...goddamnit this coaching staff is as dumb as last year's. It wasn't till he fumbled that we finally were like "oh duh we have hunter too lets give him a try"
Share 49ersWebzone