LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Why are our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks sitting on the bench?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by THEB:
our 1st round pick is not sitting on the bench. hes played in both of our games so far. i dont know what football team youve been watching but it hasnt been the 49ers.

He is subbing in but he isn't in there when we need heat on the QB. He looked good to me last week but he was never in the game except for a few plays here and there.

he comes in on the niners nickel package. He played 24 snaps last week
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by valrod33:
our 1st round pick is not sitting on the bench. hes played in both of our games so far. i dont know what football team youve been watching but it hasnt been the 49ers.

He is subbing in but he isn't in there when we need heat on the QB. He looked good to me last week but he was never in the game except for a few plays here and there.

Not much of an impact player as they were saying in training camp.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Why draft a guy in the 1st round that isn't any better than Brooks or Parys?
Why draft a guy in the 3rd that's not better than Rogers spencer or brock?

An even better question would be; how do you have a GM job in the NFL and not know that these guys aren't better than the average guys you already have on the team?

Aldon already looks better than Parys Haralson, the only reason I can see he's not starting is that he's still learning the system, scheme, etc.
2nd round qb's are not expected to start from day one, nor are 3rd round cornerbacks. Those are two of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL.

With a shortened offseason (the defense didn't have a playbook until training camp) it's stupid to expect rookies to come in and learn the system well enough to show what they've got.

We are playinmg against Andy Dalton this week, guess what round he was drafted in?
Originally posted by susweel:

He was drafted very high, we could have used a free agent or a 3rd pick on a nickle package pass rusher!
[ Edited by glorydayz on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM ]

Not so sure about that. He has already used his freak arms to make a couple of plays that almost nobody in the nfl can do. The sacks will be coming
Originally posted by walker807:

Not so sure about that. He has already used his freak arms to make a couple of plays that almost nobody in the nfl can do. The sacks will be coming

Hard to get a sack from the bench,
I really Like Aldon Smith, I just wish he was getting more PT.

He has played well, he has put pressure on the QB he just hasnt got a sack yet. Demarcus Ware didnt get his first sack until his 3rd game of his rookie year
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He has played well, he has put pressure on the QB he just hasnt got a sack yet. Demarcus Ware didnt get his first sack until his 3rd game of his rookie year

Good research val.

I wish they would just start Aldon already and let him loose.

Good research val.

Wasn't Aldon picked much higher than Ware?

Good research val.

Aldon was the 7th pick
Ware was the 11th pick

I wouldnt call that much higher

Good research val.

Aldon was the 7th pick
Ware was the 11th pick

That is much higher! Think about the old rookie salary structure, remember the whole crabtree DHB contract debate?

Nah, I just want the young man to get on the field where he will really learn how to get down.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Good research val.

Aldon was the 7th pick
Ware was the 11th pick

Ware had 8 sacks his rookie year lets how many Aldon gets. Also according to an article I read by MM good pass rushers usually perform pretty good their first year. So lets see if he makes an immediate impact.
Everyone is on Dalton's jock but the defenses he faced were garbage. Don't expect him to repeat that performance against us. On 49ers central they showed tape on him from last week and he stared down every throw from the snap of the ball. watch us to throw different looks at him and then jump a lot of the throws.

Good research val.

Aldon was the 7th pick
Ware was the 11th pick

Ware had 8 sacks his rookie year lets how many Aldon gets. Also according to an article I read by MM good pass rushers usually perform pretty good their first year. So lets see if he makes an immediate impact.

More oppertunity would bring some sacks I bet,
Share 49ersWebzone