There are 155 users in the forums

Should they start putting Hunter into the rotation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should they start putting Hunter into the rotation?

Rookie running backs can flourish in the NFL. Right now, let's take a few gambles.
How about we pass the ball, push the defense and things open up for Gore. I don't see Hunter having much success vs a run blitzing defense either.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Give him more carries if Gore keeps on averaging 2.5 yds per carry

Why? So Hunter can average 2.6? Have you seen the lack of run blocking during the games? Pretty sure it's not just me but how can we really gauge how Gore is playing with the lack of run blocking and conservative play calling?
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Give him more carries if Gore keeps on averaging 2.5 yds per carry

Why? So Hunter can average 2.6? Have you seen the lack of run blocking during the games? Pretty sure it's not just me but how can we really gauge how Gore is playing with the lack of run blocking and conservative play calling?

it's not just that man. Look at the one carry Hunter got against the seahawks. He should've been dropped for a loss, but kept fighting and ended up getting a nice gain. Almost scored IIRC
I believe Frank Gore is fine. I believe the problem with our running game is the O line. I believe the problem with our passing game is also the O line not establishing the running game. With that said, Hunter is more explosive than Gore right now and should definitely see some action as a change of pace back. Work him in there. Mix things up a little. If the defense thinks Frank's gonna run they are going to do everything to stop Frank from running and our O line isn't getting any push so we have to do something different.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If there's any position you can start at as a rookie, it's RB.

At the very least, he should be splitting carries with Gore.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Until the O-line starts blocking better it doesnt matter who are RB is

Same argument was made under Barlow. All of a sudden Frank the Tank came in and the running game sprang to life. The line isn't as terrible as some people think. It clearly needs to improve, but it's not the reason why Frank isn't gaining yards like he once was.

Something ain't quite right with Frank the Tank to be brutally honest. Frank the Tank used to run over people. He doesn't anymore.

Great point Bill I was thinking the same thing.

Its kinda funny how the new breed of Niner fans builds an admiration for a certain player and when that player doesn't perform they make every excuse in the book for him. The fact is Frank does not look the same, he doesn't have that explosiveness he once did. It doesn't mean that he cant play anymore, he can still play but it has to be in share the load type of way. Kind of how the Jets use LT, the days of being the "Bell cow" are over.
I agree, I made the same point in my 8 page "Gore is Done" thread that mysteriously disappeared. I think the mods have it in for me.

To recap, I said that you can just look at the circumstances when Gore came into this league. Barlow wasn't getting the yards, people
made all kinds of excuses for him, and then Gore came in behind the same line and showed that it wasn't just the blocking that was to blame.

Its kinda funny how the new breed of Niner fans builds an admiration for a certain player and when that player doesn't perform they make every excuse in the book for him. The fact is Frank does not look the same, he doesn't have that explosiveness he once did. It doesn't mean that he cant play anymore, he can still play but it has to be in share the load type of way. Kind of how the Jets use LT, the days of being the "Bell cow" are over.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Until the O-line starts blocking better it doesnt matter who are RB is

Same argument was made under Barlow. All of a sudden Frank the Tank came in and the running game sprang to life. The line isn't as terrible as some people think. It clearly needs to improve, but it's not the reason why Frank isn't gaining yards like he once was.

Something ain't quite right with Frank the Tank to be brutally honest. Frank the Tank used to run over people. He doesn't anymore.

Agreed... K Hunter will help. Gore needs a break. We can't run the ball because teams are stacking the box. Teams know we don't throw the ball consistently for more than 10yds. Untill we start getting teams worried about our passing game they will keep stacking the box and we will struggle in the run game! Like Phil Sims said... The passing game opens up the run in today's NFL.
duhhh
I like the idea of him getting some touches out there and I would also like to see both of them getting some receiving yds too.

Yeah - use him in many different ways. But it won't make too much of a difference as a RB until the OLIne gels.
Originally posted by Joecool:
How about we pass the ball, push the defense and things open up for Gore. I don't see Hunter having much success vs a run blitzing defense either.

I am all for this, but at least last game it is tough to push the ball without some elite talent on the outside. A lineup of Ginn, Morgan, and Davis is not exactly equipped to sling it around, and Davis has to stay in and block because the line is garbage/Smith isn't hitting his hot routes/ receivers aren't breaking off routes (take your pick according to ideology) I love Alex, but he has never been a high volume passer in his career. Smith would be best suited for a passing game like NE uses (the west coast version) where quick players and 2 TE run short and intermediate routes with the occasional long ball. Crabtree and Braylon really need to play together for this to be effective IMO.

Also, Gore has definitely lost something. He is not hitting the hole as hard for some reason, and when he needs to get to the outside he isn't getting by the defender who is supposed to contain. Hopefully it is just something minor because I think he can still be effective. Hunter has to start getting at least 10 touches per game in some capacity (kickoff, receiving, running). Every time he touches it he looks very dangerous with the ball, and he is like a dart to the hole. I love Frank, but I would like to see a 60/40 Gore/Hunter split right now.
Originally posted by kray28:
If there's any position you can start at as a rookie, it's RB.

At the very least, he should be splitting carries with Gore.

yes.
what u feel and what u know are 2 completely different things, That goes for anyone who thinks Hunter can do half of what gore can do.....
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
what u feel and what u know are 2 completely different things, That goes for anyone who thinks Hunter can do half of what gore can do.....

Never know if you don't try. That's why a backup named Frank Gore got his job over an ineffective starter named Kevan Barlow.
Share 49ersWebzone