LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Who cares? it's not like we were gonna score a TD anyway.

Yeah, it's not like we had three TDs on the board.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Its the "first rule" of football, because it was invented in the 19th century.

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
What do you guys think?

The first rule of football: NEVER take points off the board.

It was the right call.

So if I follow the "first rule" I'd take the 3 pts EVEN if it gave me a first and goal situation?

There are no bright lines rules in a game that is constantly changing.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
There where a million little things that led to this loss. Nothing wrong with taking a 10 point 2 score lead with 6 and change less. It's a little of both but I think he was worried if the offense turned it over we would have had a 1 score 7 point lead instead of 2 scores. Very unlikely we get a TD anyways but it would have been 1st and 10 from like the 25.

Edit: It was 11 minutes left. Dumb mistake but letting there only two receivers Witten and Austin beat us (both should be doubled or help)... let Felix run on us. Brooks inch over off sides cost us 7, Alex's int at our 30 or whatever, Brock standing over a loose ball that would have won us the game, Rogers letting his man go and Whitner biting despite the run game doing nothing all game where just as bad if not worse.

Roders didn't let his man go, we kept running two man coverage and Romo kept eating it up. We should have went man or at least mixed up the coverage more. I know damn well if I was reading the coverage from my couch Romo was reading it.

You can't blame Brooks for that onside, that was just a petty call by the ref.

Can't blame Brock for standing over that ball, even Doug Free didn't know it was out until the last second.
Originally posted by BringBackTO:

So if I follow the "first rule" I'd take the 3 pts EVEN if it gave me a first and goal situation?

Ball on the 25 is first and goal? F*ck...did you even watch the game?

Think before you post please. This mass mania bullsh*t is getting tiresome.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It doesn't matter why because there's no way to justify it. It's like kicking a FG on 1st down.

Exactly, it makes absolutely no sense. Rookie coaching mistakes again

There's also an axiom that states you NEVER take points off the board. While you may not agree with the decision, it is defensible.
At the 1? What f*cking game were you watching? They would have been at the 25.

Plus...you NEVER take points off the board. That's conventional football wisdom that has been around since there has been football, nino.

What f**king game was I watching? How about what f**king post was I responding to...you said you "NEVER" take points off the board...not "in this game in this case I wouldn't take the points off the board"....so I responded to your "NEVER" statement by saying how about if you could have a field goal or a 1st and goal at the 1...good to know you'd take field goal. Shows what kinda IQ you got.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Harbaugh seems as if he's already entrenched in the land of "damned if you do; damned if you don't". The only cure is winning.

Nope- if he accepted the penalty, even if we threw a pick-6 after that, I would have still said it was the right call.
Originally posted by Otter:
There's also an axiom that states you NEVER take points off the board. While you may not agree with the decision, it is defensible.

It's not defensible...again, what if you could have a 1st and goal at the 1? Well, in order to be mathematically indifferent in comparison to a 100% chance at 3 points, you would have to say that you only have a 42.86% chance of punching it in from the 1 on 1st and goal. Obviously the odds are MUCH, MUCH higher than that. And even if they weren't you could also always still get that same 3 should it come to 4th and goal. It is in no way defensible to say you NEVER take points off the board. That's essentially like saying if you could have a 100% chance o gettingf $1, you'd rather take that than have a 99% chance of getting $100. Completely illogical.
Really not impressed with this coaching staff and HC...Like usual coaches don't let the Offense open it up, and the D gets eaten alive due to scheme...

Dumbass coaching move Jim
Ball on the 25 is first and goal? F*ck...did you even watch the game?

Think before you post please. This mass mania bullsh*t is getting tiresome.

I was speaking in a hypothetical.

Originally posted by andes14:
What f**king game was I watching? How about what f**king post was I responding to...you said you "NEVER" take points off the board...not "in this game in this case I wouldn't take the points off the board"....so I responded to your "NEVER" statement by saying how about if you could have a field goal or a 1st and goal at the 1...good to know you'd take field goal. Shows what kinda IQ you got.

See...there you go. I'm talking about real football and you;re off in hypothetical land,

Have fun there. Its scotch time here in the real world. See ya later, amigo.

See...there you go. I'm talking about real football and you;re off in hypothetical land,

you said "you never take points off the board."

so next week if the same situation occurs but we end up with 1st and goal on the one, you would take the points and not the penalty?

you are saying "never take points off the board". i say thats has to be one of the worst things i have ever heard.

btw its not hypothetical land because you said "you never take points off the board". you do know what "never" means?
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:

you said "you never take points off the board."

so next week if the same situation occurs but we end up with 1st and goal on the one, you would take the points and not the penalty?

you are saying "never take points off the board". i say thats has to be one of the worst things i have ever heard.

btw its not hypothetical land because you said "you never take points off the board". you do know what "never" means?

LOL. EXACTLY. I really don't think he does. He says "NEVER", so I come up with a hypothetical, and he blasts it for not being relevant to today's game.
Originally posted by BringBackTO:

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
What do you guys think?

The first rule of football: NEVER take points off the board.

It was the right call.

That's the point I was trying to make with sarcasm. "First rule" meaning, an old and outdated 19th century rule.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The answer is both.

Yeah the answer is a little of both. Hindsight is also a wonderful thing after the game too. The way our OL was playing had to also be a factor. Maybe when he has more confidence in the offense as a group in both pass protection and run blocking , then maybe he would take points off the board when they can more consistently come up with some scores.
Share 49ersWebzone