LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 414 users in the forums

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Originally posted by Leathaface:
It doesn't matter why because there's no way to justify it. It's like kicking a FG on 1st down.

no way to justify it? what game were you watching? because the game i was watching look like our o line is the worst in football & our qb cant be counted on to make things happen. this offense is not good enough to take point off the board for 15 yards, chances are alex probably throws an interception or our o line does something stupid.....
There where a million little things that led to this loss. Nothing wrong with taking a 10 point 2 score lead with 6 and change less. It's a little of both but I think he was worried if the offense turned it over we would have had a 1 score 7 point lead instead of 2 scores. Very unlikely we get a TD anyways but it would have been 1st and 10 from like the 25.

Edit: It was 11 minutes left. Dumb mistake but letting there only two receivers Witten and Austin beat us (both should be doubled or help)... let Felix run on us. Brooks inch over off sides cost us 7, Alex's int at our 30 or whatever, Brock standing over a loose ball that would have won us the game, Rogers letting his man go and Whitner biting despite the run game doing nothing all game where just as bad if not worse.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lancsfinest:
It doesn't matter why because there's no way to justify it. It's like kicking a FG on 1st down.

no way to justify it? what game were you watching? because the game i was watching look like our o line is the worst in football & our qb cant be counted on to make things happen. this offense is not good enough to take point off the board for 15 yards, chances are alex probably throws an interception or our o line does something stupid.....

If he actually thought it through and was worried about a pick or sack, run it three times. Could have taken a knee and it would have been better
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
What do you guys think?

The first rule of football: NEVER take points off the board.

It was the right call.
That is simply not believing in your offense to get it done...
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

It was the right call.

What are you talking about? Would you rather have 3 points, or a 1st and goal at the 1? Hmmm, a 99.9% chance of 7 points, or 100% chance at 3 points- ya that's a toughie
Originally posted by lancsfinest:

Then we should just forfeit the game before it even starts if we are afraid to let our players play.
Originally posted by andes14:
What are you talking about? Would you rather have 3 points, or a 1st and goal at the 1? Hmmm, a 99.9% chance of 7 points, or 100% chance at 3 points- ya that's a toughie
At the 1? What f*cking game were you watching? They would have been at the 25.

Plus...you NEVER take points off the board. That's conventional football wisdom that has been around since there has been football, nino.

It was the right call.

I had no problem with taking the points and like Jim thought we could hold that lead. But if you are gonna play that way, you must call a defensive game to fit that strategy. Had to put some pressure on Romo and their O to make a mistake or get a negative play or two. Instead, we played the prevent, death by a thousand cuts, strategy. Having seeing the result (D can't make the crucial stop) Jim going forward must take a much more aggressive approach. Tough way to lose a game!
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
What do you guys think?

It was the right call.

Its the "first rule" of football, because it was invented in the 19th century.

At the 1? What f*cking game were you watching? They would have been at the 25.

Plus...you NEVER take points off the board. That's conventional football wisdom that has been around since there has been football, nino.

dude what are you talking about, sometimes you DO take points of the board, such as in this case. That was honestly the worst coaching decision I can ever recall, it's so nonsensical I wanna punch something I'm so frustrated. Who passes up on a 1st down in the redzone. Even if we didnt score, we would have had a closer field goal and would have also killed more clock. Akers is a good kicker he easily would have scored again, barring an anomalous occurrence. The penalty was a win-win situation and we lost. I still like Harbaugh but this conservatism which almost made us lose to SEATTLE came back and f**ked us up the ass. s**tty loss , better coaching we would have won I have no doubt
Originally posted by 49erMike:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Check the game day thread. The hindsight bullsh*t does not apply to this situation. 85% of poster were questioning the decision AS IT HAPPENED.

Right...85% of the whiners that think they're coaching material.

Please. No other coach in the league would have made that decision, but since they're not Jim Harbaugh, they must not be coaching material. Right?

And save the "that's only speculation" crap.
Harbaugh seems as if he's already entrenched in the land of "damned if you do; damned if you don't". The only cure is winning.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
On madden you take the penalty, in real life most coaches keep the points

No, hell no. Most coaches wouldn't. It wasn't a five yard penalty, it was 15 effing yards. Chew up more time and score a TD or have a way shorter FG. Horrible decision.
Who cares? it's not like we were gonna score a TD anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone