There are 181 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Niners816:
The Unicorn.....Joe Montana in the gun, week 2 1981

LMFAO!!!!

Yes.....great find! Wow!

Look at the step up. Loved joes pocket awareness.
Is that to mike wilson?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Is that to mike wilson?

I believe it was Freddie, he was #88 in '81
its 86 though?

Even more unicorn are the wide receivers in three-point stances.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Even more unicorn are the wide receivers in three-point stances.

That was the thing you had to get used to in watching the '81 NFCC broadcast for the first time.

It begs the question -- why were WRs in 3 point stances? Were they considered legit part of run blocking back then?
its 86 though?

I see 88, but having said that....Wilson was 85.

Youre right all around.

Youre right all around.

It was Craig Puki and Dan Bunz
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Folks seldom remember that Bill was first a defensive coordinator then an offensive wizard. Here is his defensive acumen in the '84 super bowl. Jeff Fuller was the original Linebacker/Safety that played in this defense (now called the Pete Carroll 4-3 under). I love Bill's defenses more than I love his offense, and I *Love* the WCO!

"Coach Walsh suggested we put the nickel in there after they scored their first touchdown (to take a 10-7 lead)," said George Seifert, the 49ers' defensive coordinator.
So the 49ers abandoned their three-man line with four linebackers and went to their version of the nickel defense, which consists of four down linemen, one linebacker and six defensive backs (a 4-1-6), with Tom Holmoe and Jeff Fuller joining the regular Pro Bowl secondary of Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Dwight Hicks and Carlton Williamson.

Fuller is listed as a strong safety, but Seifert calls him a "whip," a defender who often plays up close like a linebacker. The only bonafide linebacker in the lineup is Keena Turner, who is fast enough to handle pass coverage on tight ends and running backs.

The 49ers call that their "elephant" defense, and the rest of the NFL that must deal with Marino in the future will no doubt remember it well.
The alignment destroyed the Dolphins' quick-strike capability. Between the deep coverage and the pressure of the rush that sacked him four times, Marino was forced to settle for short completions that failed to sustain many meaningful drives.

Hicks said: "With our elephant defense we got the good rush, coverage and still stopped the run. We let 'em have the short passes. Short passes aren't gonna beat you."

The scheme also called for the 49ers' cornerbacks to cover the Dolphins' elusive receivers man-on-man, Turner estimated, "about 70% of the time, instead of the 70% zone we played during the season."
http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-21/sports/sp-14270_1_base-defense

Walsh knows everything about football, from being GM and HC on down. People just credited him mostly for his offense. Most of the Niner fans of that era knew better.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Walsh knows everything about football, from being GM and HC on down. People just credited him mostly for his offense. Most of the Niner fans of that era knew better.
eddie forced him out. love eddie. but
Originally posted by cciowa:
eddie forced him out. love eddie. but

The stress really got to Walsh at times. Not sure that I totally blame Eddie for that. Walsh's Kryptonite was he couldn't handle to lows of losing as much as the highs of winning. Paul Brown knew about this part of Walsh personality and didn't give the HC job to him in part because of that.

I read some where Eddie refused to let Walsh resign in his second year with the team. Carmen stepped in between and kinda stroked both parties like a good lawyer that he is.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Bill Walsh and Al Davis - contrasting philosophies and styles.

The foundation of Walsh's offensive philosophy began to take shape when, as an Oakland Raiders assistant in 1966, he was exposed to Sid Gillman's aerial strategies by Gillman disciple Al Davis. Walsh's career took a pivotal turn in 1968, when he joined Brown's staff with the expansion Bengals after considering quitting football in favor of Stanford business school. In Cincinnati, Walsh modified Gillman's system and incorporated a heavy dose of short passes, creating what ultimately would become known as the West Coast offense in San Francisco.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/9310076/greatest-nfl-coaches-bill-walsh-coaching-tree

This
Share 49erswebzone