There are 226 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
1985 Bill Walsh Formations

Take note that there was some actual shotgun plays in the playbook. However, I'm not sure if they were ever used in game.
Niners816, great stuff man

Can't recall the Niners ever taking a snap from shotgun under Walsh, but it's cool to see it was in the playbook.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Niners816, great stuff man

Can't recall the Niners ever taking a snap from shotgun under Walsh, but it's cool to see it was in the playbook.

Thx...I just love seeing the formations laid out like this.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think there was a game where Matt Cavanaugh or Mile Pawslasky went on a shut gon and Bill hated it..

was that against Philly or Green Bay???

or was it only a Trick play during the Scrubbs days??
Originally posted by 9moon:
I think there was a game where Matt Cavanaugh or Mile Pawslasky went on a shut gon and Bill hated it..

was that against Philly or Green Bay???

or was it only a Trick play during the Scrubbs days??

I had always heard both Joe and Steve either hated it or were uncomfortable with it. I had always heard it was tried real early in a preseason Game and the snapped was bounced and Bill's enthusiasm for the formation waned.

I could see it being used during the 1987 strike game period to help help with pass protection.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM ]
Wow, Niners816 is bringing sexy-back!

Welllllll done!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
RED LT NASTY

Walsh said the the benefits of the shotgun are overshadowed by its downsides. He disliked the fact that the QB had to take his eyes of the defence in order to catch the snap.

What people forget is that Walsh constantly tweaked and changed the offence. Near the end of his life, he wanted to take a better look at Meyer's read option ( then know as college spread) offence.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SoCold:
RED LT NASTY

Football has some funny terms. 'Nasty' is the term to describe a reduced WR split. It means the WR is lined up close-ish to the OLine. Walsh wrote it down as a 6 yard split from the OLine. Red is the formation of the backfield.

Thanks Niners816...good to see this revitalized!

QB timing was keyed to dropsteps so the shotgun had a negative impact. Of course, the QB could count...but starting behind center on every play gave the defenses one less cue. Same with formations that looked very similar. The less the offense gives away the better!

Didn't know Walsh was the genius behind Cincinatti but fell in love with him (and his offense) when he was at Stanford in 1977-8. Helped Benjamin and Dils become quality QBs!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 18, 2015 at 9:29 AM ]

Here is the formation that stick out to me. It's almost power I like, but I've never seen it presented this way. I would have imagined that the closest to the qb was the Z WR and would have been motioned out.

Again this could have been a formation with the angus package in mind and that guy closest to the qb may have been another OL to provided extra run blocking.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 18, 2015 at 10:11 AM ]
This is from the 1982 playbook but fits well with the above.

All told it looks like the Walsh playbook was comprised of over 90 formation variations of the above base formations.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SoCold:
RED LT NASTY

Football has some funny terms. 'Nasty' is the term to describe a reduced WR split. It means the WR is lined up close-ish to the OLine. Walsh wrote it down as a 6 yard split from the OLine. Red is the formation of the backfield.

You can see how the verbiage could get a little words. Again from the 1982 playbook, here is what the QB was responsible for in the huddle:

• 9moon
  • Veteran
.. I thought that RED RIGHT was forever banned, especially in the City of Cleveland??

lol
Share 49erswebzone