LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Monday Post-Game Presser Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
I thought he sounded stunned and was going to cry. I wish he had a nice long honeymoon to get settled in, but 7 years of crap football and bad coaching, and obvious mistakes , and no killer instinct, and no backbone will get you no love from fans or the media.

When I saw Boone, Snyder and Norris walk on the field together, I told every Dallas fan with in ten rows of me what run play we were going to run, and they all said "we know"

If Harbaugh doesn't understand what this fan base wants to see, and what they expect from a 25 million dollar HC, his time here will be unpleasant and short.

Agree.

Some people claim Alex = coach killer

The reality is for the last 8 years...BEING A STUBBORN FOOL = coach killer.

Not saying this will be Harbaugh's fate but honestly...all we're asking for as fans is to see some aggressiveness..CONSISTENTLY.

But then if they're aggressive and make a mistake on a play that costs us the game, you guys will still be b***hing!

I think it's gotten to the point where people don't even care if there's a mistake because without taking any chances, you will never, ever find out if you can make those kinds of plays often or not. Taking chances results in mistakes sometimes that cost you the game, BUT sometimes NOT taking chances results in making NO play and THAT winds up costing us the game.

You can screw yourself both ways. We've seen one side for far too long, it's been not working for far too long. As a result, all we want is to at least see a consistent attempt at trying something else.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by susweel:
Bay area reported are pussies when it comes to asking the tough questions.

cant ask tough questions when your lips are connected to coach's a-hole

nice visual

Its the Bay Area Human Centipede!
JH seemed pretty dejected in his monday presser, although he's doing everything in his power not to project that to the media or the team. I cant blame him for not fully trusting his offense. The number of pass protection break downs in the pre-season as well as in Week 2 of the regular season is a picture that says a thousand words. JH, at all costs, will protect his QB from taking a beating, down after down. After not giving up any sacks in week 1, I imagine there was less emphasis on pass protection as a whole, and more of an emphasis on accounting for D.Ware on every play.

My biggest problem with JH is how he says "we're still trying to find our identity"

i think that sends a horrible message to the team. I'd like to see JH say "THIS is our mentality, THIS is the type of team we are, and THIS is who we will be." and say it with conviction. Allow your players to adhere to a win-at-all-costs mentality that YOU instill in them JH.

F all this identity b******t. Come out attacking, come out aggressive, and play that way for 4 quarters. Take the damn training wheels off. This is the NFL. You have nothing to lose in Year 1.
Originally posted by daWest:

My biggest problem with JH is how he says "we're still trying to find our identity"

i think that sends a horrible message to the team. I'd like to see JH say "THIS is our mentality, THIS is the type of team we are, and THIS is who we will be." and say it with conviction. Allow your players to adhere to a win-at-all-costs mentality that YOU instill in them JH.

I don't want Harbaugh sounding like Singletary.
Originally posted by verb1der:

I don't want Harbaugh sounding like Singletary.

I wish he would have come out with his first 49ers rant. At least it would have been entertaining.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM ]
Originally posted by pd24:
I thought he sounded stunned and was going to cry. I wish he had a nice long honeymoon to get settled in, but 7 years of crap football and bad coaching, and obvious mistakes , and no killer instinct, and no backbone will get you no love from fans or the media.

When I saw Boone, Snyder and Norris walk on the field together, I told every Dallas fan with in ten rows of me what run play we were going to run, and they all said "we know"

If Harbaugh doesn't understand what this fan base wants to see, and what they expect from a 25 million dollar HC, his time here will be unpleasant and short.

Agree.

Not saying this will be Harbaugh's fate but honestly...all we're asking for as fans is to see some aggressiveness..CONSISTENTLY.

Didin't the TD pass to wWalker come out of a goal line run formation?

Yep. We do that well because teams always think we're running. We did the same thing in 2009 vs the Jags. 3rd and less than a yard, we line up in a tight bunched (hehe tight bunched hehe) formation and VD runs downfield and Alex throws a beautiful pass for a 40 yard gain. No one expected that.

I know that those plays work obviously due to the element of surprise but we can still do those more than once every couple years.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think it's gotten to the point where people don't even care if there's a mistake because without taking any chances, you will never, ever find out if you can make those kinds of plays often or not. Taking chances results in mistakes sometimes that cost you the game, BUT sometimes NOT taking chances results in making NO play and THAT winds up costing us the game.

You can screw yourself both ways. We've seen one side for far too long, it's been not working for far too long. As a result, all we want is to at least see a consistent attempt at trying something else.

No kidding man amen. At this point...it's not we're EXPECTING Alex, for example, to light it up. It's his last year on his contract and frankly Harbaugh could go 1-15 and still keep his job so why not just air it out. Be aggressive, attack and go for the throat every time you can. We've tried it the other way and it HAS NOT worked.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Confirms we ran the WCO, but tells a reporter you're not going to see the Walsh WCO. Play calls, principals, terminology are similar he says.

yeah, Harb's WCO puts a lot more emphasis on the run than Bill's ever did.

The Walsh mentality however was "pass to set up the run." There was a lot of emphasis on the run in the early days of the Walsh WCO. Very rarely did Walsh have Montana strike deep downfield. It was a dink and dunk type offense. But it was the type of offense that would pick up three to four yards with every play, which is exactly what Walsh wanted. Those were long, clock-consuming drives.

The later versions with Rice, Taylor, Craig and other stars were like the souped-up sports car version of the WCO. The 1980-84 WCO was more like a Dodge Dart.

True.

Some stats from those years:

Joe barely played.

1980 - Joe Montana
24 pass att/game average
163 yards/game average
15 TD, 9 INT

Only 6 games with more than 225 pass yards.
Montana had a 19 TD - 12 INT and a 88.4 rating. This is about what we EXPECT from Alex this season.

(9 games played)
17 TD
11 INT
290 yard/game average.
88 passer rating

1983 season is when Joe really broke out statistically.
94.6 rating, 26 TD, 12 INT, almost 4k yards, 65% passing, etc.

So basically...it took about 3 years for the offense to really get in gear.

I love me some Joe Montanyaw talk.
1979:
Joe was on the bench and steve deberg was starter. He broke the NFL record in completions and attempts that year. He led the NFC in passing yards with 3,652. Also completed 60% of his passes because of course, thats what happens in the WCO. He Threw a lot of picks though so Walsh wasn't liking that. Pretty good for his first year nonetheless. A lot of people thought he would of been the man there if not for Montana.

1980:
Montana didn't play in a full game in the season until week 5. Deberg did. Montana shared time with Deberg even after that. He was on and off starter until week 14 until he solidified it. Montana came on strong late in the season and averaged, PER START, 36 passing attempts per game. You can't factor in the games where he barely played into your stats. Go by his stars. Even when he and Deberg shared time they put up a lot of passes. In the games Montana started, he has 229 yards per game. That was the year for the biggest comeback in history against N.OAnd this was 1980 and the 49ers were a laughing stock.

Montana threw for more then 200 yards 11 times and his completion percentage was good. He also threw for 3,500 yards. Not looking good this year either. 1981 is the year we had all those close games and Joe Cool the legend began.. And don't forget, that was the year of the catch and the super bowl win. Don't EXPECT that this year.

1982:

This was a strike shortened year and Montana only played in 9 games. Yet, he compiled 2,600 yards, 17 TD, and 11 int. He threw the ball about 40 times per game.

So basically it took three years to win a super bowl and Montana did it in his first full year as the starter. The legend was born!
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM ]
JH seemed pretty dejected in his monday presser, although he's doing everything in his power not to project that to the media or the team. I cant blame him for not fully trusting his offense. The number of pass protection break downs in the pre-season as well as in Week 2 of the regular season is a picture that says a thousand words. JH, at all costs, will protect his QB from taking a beating, down after down. After not giving up any sacks in week 1, I imagine there was less emphasis on pass protection as a whole, and more of an emphasis on accounting for D.Ware on every play.

F all this identity b******t. Come out attacking, come out aggressive, and play that way for 4 quarters. Take the damn training wheels off. This is the NFL. You have nothing to lose in Year 1.

But how can Harbaugh even say that at this point? He's still getting to know this team and learning what they can and can't do. It has only been about two months since the lockout was lifted! This season is basically a "work in progess." We have to give him time.

But how can Harbaugh even say that at this point? He's still getting to know this team and learning what they can and can't do. It has only been about two months since the lockout was lifted! This season is basically a "work in progess." We have to give him time.

all of this!!! 1 thing for sure that harbaugh knows is that he has 1 hell of a s***ty oline that will get any qb killed against teams that can rush the passer

I agree with everything you said but you've been here long enough to know that it has to be "right now" with the people on this board and if they don't show 1 million percent improvement then its time to fire everybody and start over. The sky is always falling on this board!

Agree.

But then if they're aggressive and make a mistake on a play that costs us the game, you guys will still be b***hing!

I think it's gotten to the point where people don't even care if there's a mistake

Bulllllls**t. You must not have been here for the bigass thread about how Smit should have thrown to Crabtree instead of Gore and how he sucked for it, when we WON against Seattle. Everything this team does gets picked apart, win or loss. Like I said jokingly in another thread, Smith could run for an 80 yard TD and people would say that he was being selfish because he could have thrown Michael Crabtree open. Just look at the Dallas game. Harbaugh does the smart thing and takes the points instead of the penalty, and puts this team up by two scores. People b***h about that decision constantly. Harbaugh is a first year head coach that came in with hardly any offseason and only a handful of practices (even less with the FAs) and people are still expecting a Super Bowl this year. It's a lose-lose situation.

Borderline Personality Disorder....99% of the zone has it. Just sayin..
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Agree.

I think it's gotten to the point where people don't even care if there's a mistake

Bulllllls**t. You must not have been here for the bigass thread about how Smit should have thrown to Crabtree instead of Gore and how he sucked for it, when we WON against Seattle. Everything this team does gets picked apart, win or loss. Like I said jokingly in another thread, Smith could run for an 80 yard TD and people would say that he was being selfish because he could have thrown Michael Crabtree open. Just look at the Dallas game. Harbaugh does the smart thing and takes the points instead of the penalty, and puts this team up by two scores. People b***h about that decision constantly. Harbaugh is a first year head coach that came in with hardly any offseason and only a handful of practices (even less with the FAs) and people are still expecting a Super Bowl this year. It's a lose-lose situation.

The bold is only your opinion. Stats say the "smart thing" should have been going for it on 4th and 1 in that spot on the field as most coaches do. "Smart thing" also supported by stats say he had a better chance if he accepted the penalty.

The reason why Alex Smith missing Crabtree was harped on so much because WE KNOW that missing plays like that will eventually hurt in the long run (see Smith missing wide open Morgan and quickly checking it down to Gore).

These get discussed so much because we continuously miss on possibly big plays at critical moments and these cause us to lose games in the long run and possible momentum/confidence for the season.

In the past 8 years, we have rarely, if at all, seen a game executed well for 60 minutes by players or coaches.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
The bold is only your opinion. Stats say the "smart thing" should have been going for it on 4th and 1 in that spot on the field as most coaches do. "Smart thing" also supported by stats say he had a better chance if he accepted the penalty.

The reason why Alex Smith missing Crabtree was harped on so much because WE KNOW that missing plays like that will eventually hurt in the long run (see Smith missing wide open Morgan and quickly checking it down to Gore).

These get discussed so much because we continuously miss on possibly big plays at critical moments and these cause us to lose games in the long run and possible momentum/confidence for the season.

In the past 8 years, we have rarely, if at all, seen a game executed well for 60 minutes by players or coaches.

We had dallas, but somehow for one reason or another, we kill ourselves. It's good to see that Alex Smith has been 1 of the positives so far suprizingly enough.
Share 49ersWebzone