LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If not for Ginn I think all the conservative play calling come back to haunt you. When Alex was given the opportunity he was good. When you call the same gore run left then gore right all game it makes an average defense look good. Against good teams you cannot get the ball inside the 30 twice and come away with FG's all the time.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by obx49:
I think its a lack of trust at the QB position and I don't blame Harbaugh one bit. If it was Sing then we would have lost the game. Not Harbaugh's fault at all.

they did better passing the ball than running it. Harbaugh was trying to minimize the likelihood of mistakes and look what happened: 0 sacks, 0 turnovers, 1 win.

Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.
"What If - blah, blah, blah" "JH doesn'y trust Alex - yada, yada, yada"

It really sounds like many of you wanted us to lose. Be happy w/ the win and no serious injuries.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Baby steps brother, baby steps. Jim kept it simple in order to prevent any silly mistakes with a brand new playbook. Week by week new pages in the playbook will be turned.

Exactly! Baby steps... each week they will open it ip more and more... Alex looked good.
its one of these issues

1)the O isnt ready (pass protection)
2)the O doesn't know the whole system
3)Alex is not trusted
4)Jim wanted to show only what was needed to win
5)The coaches have too much faith in the running game
6)Game plan was incorrect

you pick
Please people of Niner talk, (I know I shouldnt ask this before I even do but oh well) please use your brains and logic. Harbaugh called the game the way he did for a very clear reason, he is minimizing the pressure on Alex Smith, if we lose that game bc Alex throws an INT etc..immdediately all this pressure and media attention will be thrown on him, even moreso then now. However, my keeping true to the run game, which Gore was mediocore at best along with the O-line, he allowed Alex to show the fans he has an NFL arm and NFL accuracy when given time. Keep in mind we ran a lot of max protect so we didnt have a whole lot of receiving options on those specific plays. Overall i think i was a smartly called game, as well as the reasoning behind it being strong(of course that is just me assuming the reasoning). So in summation, please dont be the drooling retards of the board and look at this objectively and logically.
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

Really most of those "check downs" were desinged screens. He was 15 of 20 so I don't think he had to many bad throws. Many if not most were to the primary receiver on the called play. Alex was not the problem play calling and less than 3 yards per carry would be the problem. You might want to re watch the game.
m
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

my sentiments exactly maby its because harbaugh and singletary both played for chicago
Today I saw 6 audibles (one done out of the infamous 'wishbone'), 30 substitutions, 2 line shifts, 5 hot-route adjustments, and again... almost 4 f**kING WCO WISHBONE FORMATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can say we're conservative, but this team is nowhere near the team we saw last year, this offense knows what the f**k it's doing, it's just easing itself into things.

We won despite Gore looking like a steaming pile

I don't the he is done at 28. Just a bad game. When he gets it going and Hunter as a change of pace back, it will be great

Also, VD looked like a punk on those two consecutive plays. WTF

It may have been ugly, but it was a win baby

Originally posted by jreff22:
its one of these issues

1)the O isnt ready (pass protection)
2)the O doesn't know the whole system
3)Alex is not trusted
4)Jim wanted to show only what was needed to win
5)The coaches have too much faith in the running game
6)Game plan was incorrect

you pick

Or Jim Harbaugh is letting the fans see Alex can play so the second he makes one mistake the sky isnt falling down on him. You are one of the better posters around here, I thought you would of seen that for sure.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Jim Harbaugh LOVES to run the ball. This should be filter number 1. Singletary just talked about it, but Harbaugh will actually do it. I think he believes that when you've got 3 yards or less to go you should be able to get it via the run.

In the end, though, I agree that we should start utilizing more of Hunter. He had a burst that was nice to see. Gore has always been great at running between the tackles but he never really had that extra gear. Hunter looks like he has that gear. He displayed it when he got smashed behind the line then exploded through a small gap for some additional yards.

It's not the end of the line for Gore. But I think Hunter should definitely be worked in.

What game were you watching? Honestly

what irritated me about gore was he kept running into the line with his head down. how are you going to see the cutback when youre looking at the ground?
All i can say is I am f**king pumped all that matters is that we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone