LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Clayton is a turd. Smith hasn't played 7 seasons of football, so the 19 win stat is a bit misleading to say the least.

He missed 2 + seasons to injuries. And he wasn't always the starter in certain stretches of games for certain years. So yes the 19 wins is very, very misleading.

Other than the injured seasons why wasnt he the starter again
Originally posted by SportsFan:
How the f**k is Brady or Manning rated higher than Alex. Worst rankings I have ever seen.
Don't forget Rodgers!
Mike Martz thought JT Osulliven was a better QB than Alex Smith. Nuff said.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

So what does Harbaugh think?
Apparently that Alex Smith is more ready to start than a rookie coming out of a school that ran a highschool offense. Wow, big endorsement.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
That playoff win, although I give Hasselbeck credit from returning from the back injury to do a solid job "managing" the game, I think most credit goes to their defense and running game (Marshawn Lynch) and their raucous fans in Seattle for winning that game.

Hasselbeck has done just about nothing in three years, and one good game against the Saints isn't going to change that fact. Arguing that Hasselbeck is better than Smith now, based on what he did four years ago, is asinine. Smith isn't great, but I'd take him over Hasselbeck in a heartbeat right now. Henne too. He's garbage. Very good OL and Brandon Marshall to throw too and he's done nothing.

22/35 for 272 yards with a rating of 113.0 with 4 touchdowns and 1 int is not managing a game. Its coming out and dominating. I watched that game and he played magnificntly. Even the accouncers were pleased with the way the veteran played.

Arguing that Hasselbeck is better then Smith now, based on what Smith may do in the future is asinine.

This ranking is a little harsh but its not that far off. Funny how 5 guys on here think they know more then guys who do this for a living and in the same breath bash the haters for thinking they know more then Harbaugh.
  • Jiks
Apparently that Alex Smith is more ready to start than a rookie coming out of a school that ran a highschool offense. Wow, big endorsement.

So why didn't he make a trade or pick-up a FA?
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

That Alex Smith is more ready to start than a rookie coming out of a school that ran a highschool offense. Wow, big endorsement.
Well there is a thing call QB rating, some of us have heard of (ESPN wants to make up their own)t... As far as QB rating from last year....... At number #21 Alex Smith........Rated lower are Carson Palmer (Quit) and Kitna (isn't starting).........So to start the Ranking off for the up coming season with Alex Smith currently #19.....is that fair?

What do countless NFL experts, pundits, announcers, NFL fans, ex-49ers, ex-coaches, and some 49ers think? Looks like they think he is ranked 28.

• Jiks
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

What do countless NFL experts, pundits, announcers, NFL fans, ex-49ers, ex-coaches, and some 49ers think? Looks like they think he is ranked 28.
John Clayton wrote this...
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I don't even think I can take listening to another person try to pass of Alex Smith as an average or mediocre QB. He is the worst entrenched starter in the league period
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
That's a surface level way to look at it. It wouldn't be a smart decision IMO to start Hass over Alex. I'd rather let Kaep start to be honest or we should have signed/drafted someone who was READY to play day 1 and could be at least a HEALTHY stop gap (Carson Palmer) or a long term solution (Gabbert).

LOL and why can't we compare their stats? Smith's done better over the last 3 years and has done better against the Seahawks. I guarantee if the numbers were reversed you'd be using them all day. C'mon Joe.

Again...I'm not arguing who's the better QB or who would start..I'm talking strictly from a business POV as far as who's the better solutions right at this time? Hass is old, slow, and is clearly on the decline. Smith is still young, somewhat mobile, statistically on the incline (snails pace I know), but he's Alex.

Kinda hard to win with either IMO. I wish we made a bigger push for Carson.

Stats lie. Alex Smith is the proof you should need to accept this. Hasseback won a playoff game last year.

You're missing my point. Anyway it's ok.

It's so frustrating to try to convey a point on here at times. Everything is either "Alecks luv" or "Alecks h8." Like I said...I'm not trying to say Alex is better or Matt is worse. Just saying Matt wouldn't have been the "better option" at this time. That doesn't mean I think Alex is the "only good" option. I'd rather have drafted someone or aggressively pursued Palmer.
[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM ]

So why didn't he make a trade or pick-up a FA?

They tried to get Hasselbeck who would rather play for Tenn. Then they traded up to draft Kaep. Then they tried to get Cullpepper and got Mcnown.

If a vet QB is cut in the next few weeks look for us to pick one up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=95488
John Clayton wrote this...

Alex Smith is garbage. The team can't even move the ball when he is in the game. Guys like Shaun Hill outplay him in practice and in games.
Share 49ersWebzone