LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
The word "thankless" comes to mind.

This is why I will never go into politics. Well, that and....other things.

I still think it's hysterical when people say we are being unprofessional.

We're a bunch of dude's with computers and an internet connection who volunteer to help run a website for absolutely no reason. Exactly what part of that sounds professional?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
You act as if having these coaches for ONE season made all the difference.Your argument would hold more weight if, say, Smith had one of those coaches his entire career and STILL sucked. But that's not the case. Countless commentators, sports writers, and coaches have said that having a different coordinator every...single...year is a detriment to ANY QB. So they're all "Alex fan boys?" C'mon man. Just admit that the problem with Alex Smith is BIGGER than Alex Smith. The 49ers completely f**ked up his development and now we have damaged goods. It is what it is.

LOL it's like telling a soldier he shouldn't have PTSS because, "well at one point you had a normal life right? So one year of battle and now you're all f**ked up? Pshhhh Iraqxcuses!"

PTSD*
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Quote:
As it turned out, it didn't matter because Smith, just a couple of weeks later, while throwing a deep ball in practice, broke a bone in his shoulder. A wire left behind from his surgery sawed the bone in half, requiring more surgery, and ending the quarterback's fourth season.

WTF

That's freaking messed up. Nolan tries to make Smith play with three torn ligaments. Then after he has surgery, the next year a wire saws his shoulder in half. Holy crap.
Nolan lost the team with a combination of that and mocking Jonas Jenning's crawl on the field from pain. Jonas was never the same, mentally, after that and obviously did not want much to do with Nolan. Nolan, a guy who seemed like a straight shooter turned out to be very immature.

Looking back at what Smith had to go through with Nolan, it is unbelievable that he is still even a football player.

I don't think it would be stretching the truth to say that I have been one of the more consistent supporters of Smith from the standpoint of looking at how handicapped he was by poor coaching. Now, every time I recall some of the things he went through, like a surgical procedure gone wrong, it only makes me hope all the more that he does well after all of this. I have just seen so many players that have struggled come back to do well once they get good coaching that it is thrilling to see a performance like he put on last night. It was not all that far from the way Montana would have performed in similar circumstances...and I don't throw that around loosely.

Alex not showing NFL ability had a lot to do with it also. McCarthy and Norv aren't exactly "poor coaching". Nolan didn't have his hands on the offense then.
And Under Norv Alex showed his most progress in being a QB and the following season regressed when Norv went south. I just don't see why you Joe and others are so blind to the simple fact that Alex isn't as shotty as you guys say he is.
Some people find it easier to be negative than be hurt again. Although Smith has failed to live up to his draft billing he has not failed miserably without reason. If Harbaugh can mold him and put him in a position to succeed it will be great for the 9ers and the team may be much better than anyone thought. If he fails, as so many predict (and some seem to relish) the team will be left trying to find a good QB. CK might be good in time but he is not a guarantee, so they would need to go after free agents (perhaps Josh Johnson next year) and more draft choices, taking away from other needs.

The logical thing to do is hope Smith makes it in a big way.
All I know is if I see one more batted pass from this guy I'm gonna uppercut someone, it seems to happen to him more than any other qb
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
All I know is if I see one more batted pass from this guy I'm gonna uppercut someone, it seems to happen to him more than any other qb

So untrue, yet unsubstantiated. Most QBs have passes batted down and QBs with suspect lines have more batted down. He will no doubt impove in this area with Harbaugh's tutelage, and the imrpovement of the line, but I've seen all the great QBs have their passes batted down, which is better than an interception. Don't know if there are stats on this but if there are perhaps someone can let us know.
One measurement that is hardly used to rate how well a QB is playing is average yards after the catch for his WR's. QB's that get the ball out on time, in stride, in a good location that allows the WR to run after the catch is barely used in common rating systems.

This is one area I want to see improved by the 49ers.
ESPN...'nuff said.
Just got back from the club....alittle tipsy......MARK MY WORD! Alex will have a fine season... 3000+yrds, 20tds, under 10ints

book it!
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Just got back from the club....alittle tipsy......MARK MY WORD! Alex will have a fine season... 3000+yrds, 20tds, under 10ints

book it!

Did you make love in that club?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerfan29:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Quote:
As it turned out, it didn't matter because Smith, just a couple of weeks later, while throwing a deep ball in practice, broke a bone in his shoulder. A wire left behind from his surgery sawed the bone in half, requiring more surgery, and ending the quarterback's fourth season.

WTF

That's freaking messed up. Nolan tries to make Smith play with three torn ligaments. Then after he has surgery, the next year a wire saws his shoulder in half. Holy crap.
Nolan lost the team with a combination of that and mocking Jonas Jenning's crawl on the field from pain. Jonas was never the same, mentally, after that and obviously did not want much to do with Nolan. Nolan, a guy who seemed like a straight shooter turned out to be very immature.

Looking back at what Smith had to go through with Nolan, it is unbelievable that he is still even a football player.

I don't think it would be stretching the truth to say that I have been one of the more consistent supporters of Smith from the standpoint of looking at how handicapped he was by poor coaching. Now, every time I recall some of the things he went through, like a surgical procedure gone wrong, it only makes me hope all the more that he does well after all of this. I have just seen so many players that have struggled come back to do well once they get good coaching that it is thrilling to see a performance like he put on last night. It was not all that far from the way Montana would have performed in similar circumstances...and I don't throw that around loosely.

Alex not showing NFL ability had a lot to do with it also. McCarthy and Norv aren't exactly "poor coaching". Nolan didn't have his hands on the offense then.
And Under Norv Alex showed his most progress in being a QB and the following season regressed when Norv went south. I just don't see why you Joe and others are so blind to the simple fact that Alex isn't as shotty as you guys say he is.

Frank Gore had a breakout year, and Alex had a very average year that he should have at least had his rookie year. Also, after Antonio Bryant left the team, he hammered Alex for being an awful QB that couldn't get anything done. Somebody find the quote, I can't find it, but I remember reading it. That was not some wonderful year for Alex, it was just a very, very, very average year, and it was way below average for someone who was selected #1 overall and had Frank Gore as his RB.
Wow, watching ESPN, Alex Smith has more starts than all the other NFCW QB's combined.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

book it!

how many times we hear this every year.....
Originally posted by Shaj:
Frank Gore had a breakout year, and Alex had a very average year that he should have at least had his rookie year. Also, after Antonio Bryant left the team, he hammered Alex for being an awful QB that couldn't get anything done. Somebody find the quote, I can't find it, but I remember reading it. That was not some wonderful year for Alex, it was just a very, very, very average year, and it was way below average for someone who was selected #1 overall and had Frank Gore as his RB.

Alex Smith 2006 (22 years old):
Record: ...Comp: ...Att: ... % ...Yards.... TD .INT.. Y/A
7-9.............257....... 442 ..58.1 ..2890 ..16 ..16 ..6.5

Sam Bradford 2010 (23 years old):
Record: ...Comp: ...Att: ... % ......Yards.... TD .INT.. Y/A
7-9....... 354 ........590....... 60.0 ...3512 .....18 ..15... 6.0

Obviously, Bradford had the overall better year, and was a rookie, etc, and, yeah, Alex's sophomore year wasn't "wonderful." But it was very promising, it showed definite progress, and Bradford is lauded throughout the NFL for a year with numbers in the same ballpark (an exceptional rookie year, even for a #1 overall pick). If I was picking a QB right now I would take Bradford. But lets not revise history and say that there wasn't a time when it seemed like Alex might have a bright future.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Sep 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM ]
This is so sad! Quoting Antonio Bryant to bolster your argument? Wow! Next thing you know we'll be asking Charles Manson what's wrong with our justice system. Even TO would be a better source than Bryant. And don't get me wrong, I loved the way Antonio played, just not his judgement.

And yes, while Rogers was sitting on the bench Alex had a very average year. While Rogers was learning at the elbow of a HC and QB who understood offensive football, Alex was wondering who the next OC would be for a team in utter chaos.

Why don't we let the football games tell us whether Smith can be a good QB, since that is our option this year? Why trash the guy ever day as if life itself hangs in the balance? Why the fixation?
Share 49ersWebzone