LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

What was the worst moment in franchise history?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
River boat scandal! Youngs final play, and the we allowed the lions to get the legendary matt millen ok the first 2! Never forget that feeling in my gut and the storms i drove to work in with no windsheild. Garcia became a nice surprise tho!
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
NFC Title game against the Giants when we were going for the 3peat and Montana got injured, which also led to us losing that game and the shot at 3 SB's in a row. also pretty much turned out to be the end of his career as a niner.

This! My heart sunk to my stomach. I was crushed and knew things would never be the same. A new regime, a new era...the end of Montana, Lott,
Craig...and so many great memories!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The day Eddie handed Denise the franchise.

this
[ Edited by Godsleftsock on Aug 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM ]
Probably when eddie was FORCED to hand over the franchise do to what he did and probably the hiring of dennis erickson.
For me it was Bill Walsh retiring. Seifert wasn't half the coach Walsh was.
  • Huego
  • Veteran
every time the niners step on the field, it becomes the new worse moment in niner history

this team gets worse every year
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
For me it was Bill Walsh retiring. Seifert wasn't half the coach Walsh was.

No he wasn't, but I believe he has the best winning percentage of any coach in NFL history. Plus he won two Super Bowls. He should probably be a candidate for HOF. But everyone just says it was because of Bill, and they are probably right.
This is just hypothetical, but could the Yorks sell back the team to Eddy?
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The day Eddie handed Denise the franchise.

Totally agree! For the love of God Denise, give the team back to the man who built it and loves it!!!!!!!!!!!! The 49ers team should not be some birthday present for a kid (Jed)! It was and will always be Eddie's team. I fear the team will never be good again until Eddie gets his team back! The trouble with that is I don't believe Yorks will ever give it up! Makes me want to stop watching NFL football!
I agree with much of the posts on this thread. The day the Yorks put their hands on this franchise. We've been a bottomfeeder since

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
It could possibly be. This coming from and avid supporter. This organization has gone completely bass-akwards since Alex was drafted. He was drafted to be the "Savior" of this franchise. Little did both the 49ers organization and Alex Smith know what they were getting into. I mean, just look at all the events that have happened since Smith was drafted. 7 years, 7 OC's, 3 Coaches, new ownership, new G.M, etc. Now I'm not saying all this is directly due to Alex, but I am saying it had something to do with us drafting him, and where we drafted him.

Trying to not go off topic but I think the reason everything happened the way it happened in terms of personel decisions was due to the strange criteria that the ownership had for coaches and then coaches had for players. I still remember the bizarre workout they put Alex through at his pro day and the practice facilities, you shouldn't be drafting a QB off of his ability to do math while jumping in place on one leg......This franchise has done itself wrong, it's no single persons fault but a whole clusterf**k of issues.....

Back on topic, in modern day post 1980 9er history it would have to be Steve Young getting knocked out, because that was the end of the 20 years of dominance by the 9ers. We might have had a slightly graceful decent into mediocrity from 99-02 but it all started with Young getting KO'ed. Easily worst moment in recent memory.

We were dominant for a few years under Garcia, but there was a couple years of mediocrity between the time that Young got knocked out and Garcia brought us back.
Passing on Tom Brady
After reading this board, I would think it would be the preseason game yesterday.
Originally posted by socal81:
I agree with much of the posts on this thread. The day the Yorks put their hands on this franchise. We've been a bottomfeeder since

The day the Yorks took over, And, yesterday when The Lucky Spawn walked through the stands and no one beat the crap out of him.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
This is just hypothetical, but could the Yorks sell back the team to Eddy?

They could, but they won't. Eddie is cleared to own an NFL team again.
Share 49ersWebzone