LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

If someone offers a decent deal for Frank Gore, TAKE IT!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I say if a trade was in the mix, trade for a 3rd / 4th to the Bills and their RB Fred Jackson a el estilo Madden ... Ahua !
[ Edited by ziggy_gonna_rock on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM ]
we are not going to get a deal equivalent to Gore's value on this team.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by dj43:
Harbaugh said "there is an offer on the table..." Let's see what comes of it.

I could easily see a scenario where Gore plays out the season and goes to Miami.

Regardless of how Gore plays, the 49ers will use Hunter and Dixon enough to get a good idea as to whether or not either of them can replace Gore. Be it for injury or if he walks, they must have a replacement on the roster. If we get to mid-season and it looks like either of them can replace Gore, then Gore can either accept the offer or walk. I don't see DeAngelo money for Gore in any scenario, but I do hope he gets enough to decide to stay here.

I liked the approach Denver used while Shanahan was there: draft a RB every season, and as one went down, another stepped in and rolled up good numbers. So while they never duplicated Terrell Davis, they had some very productive backs.

...but they were never as good a team as when they had Davis.

True but there were other factors at work as well.

I believe Shanahan became overly enamored with his approach to the running game and neglected to refine the passing offense, and it cost him. Just my opinion but it seems they never regained the balance it takes to win consistently.
i missed nick's threads
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Trade Frank Gore, you guys got to be kidding me. Ok wait, maybe for a 1st round pick yah, but a 3rd round pick....seriously?? Our running after Gore went down with an injury was soft. Sure Westbrook rushed for a 100 yards, but C'mon look who that was against. We're gonna regret not re-signing Frank Gore if we can't by the time the season is over. Shoot LT is 31 yrs old and still rushed for 900 yards and 6 TD's, Frank isn't even 30 yet hes still got 2-3 GOOD years left.

LT didn't have the injury history.
After 2008 he had multiple injuries (Knee, Groin, Ankle, Big toe) and was said to have lost a step. Didn't seem to have lost much in New York.

My reference was to the degree of injury to his knees. LT seemed to be getting knicked while Frank had more significant injuries.

In any case, 29 (next season) RBs that are still productive are the exception, not the rule.

As I said above, I hope they re-sign him. He is worth more here than he could bring in trade.

I could easily see a scenario where Gore plays out the season and goes to Miami.

Regardless of how Gore plays, the 49ers will use Hunter and Dixon enough to get a good idea as to whether or not either of them can replace Gore. Be it for injury or if he walks, they must have a replacement on the roster. If we get to mid-season and it looks like either of them can replace Gore, then Gore can either accept the offer or walk. I don't see DeAngelo money for Gore in any scenario, but I do hope he gets enough to decide to stay here.

I liked the approach Denver used while Shanahan was there: draft a RB every season, and as one went down, another stepped in and rolled up good numbers. So while they never duplicated Terrell Davis, they had some very productive backs.

I believe Shanahan became overly enamored with his approach to the running game and neglected to refine the passing offense, and it cost him. Just my opinion but it seems they never regained the balance it takes to win consistently.

I think he also become overly enamored with his ability (his reputation) of turning any old scrap into an elite RB. They were a great running team, yes, and a bunch of no-names came in and had 1,000 yard seasons--but by the end I think Shanahan just believed he could put some fat grandma in the backfield and get her into the pro-bowl.

my point is just that, despite the myth that "great RB's are a dime-a-dozen" (perpetuated since the Shanahan days), elite RB's are hard to find and DO make a difference for a team--especially when they are complete backs like Frank.

but overall I agree with your assessment. I just don't think we should convince ourselves that we can plug in any guy (or group of guys) and get the same results.
I wouldn't trade Gore if the hope is that Dixon can step in. I like Hunter's potential, but I don't think Dixon will ever amount to a reliable back, especially as part of some 1-2 punch. I know RBs wash out earlier than other positions, but they also show what they can do earlier than any other position if given a chance, and last year I saw nothing in Dixon that I'd like to see on a regular basis.
GTFO with this trade talk bs, I`ll bet gore has another 5+ good years in the nfl even if he blew his knees out again. Gore and Steven Jackson are the best all around backs in the NFL, I would take those 2 anyday before i took CJ or AP.
Nothing less than a first rounder. Gore is worth locking down for 4 more years.
we are not going to get a deal equivalent to Gore's value on this team.

QFT.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Its not about him being "average" or "Past his prime". I don't think he is either, but NFL teams know that 30 is the age that most RBs take a nose-dive.

Bottom line, Frank is worth alot more to the 49ers than he would be to any other team. No team is going to offer a pick in the first 2 rounds.

I'd agree with all of this except maybe we could get a mid-late 2nd. Anyways, his heart and sole is with the 49ers. Only problem is he has Drew Rosenhaus telling him he deserves 50 million just because the Panthers had to overpay DeAngelo Williams to stay. Does he deserve an extension? Yes, but only for a reasonable amount of years and cost for both of us. Frank will run till his wheels fall off and I think he can make it 3-4 more years. Hopefully, Rosenhaus isn't asking for a 5-6 year deal worth 50 million. I would offer 3 years(21-25) to 4 years at around (28-30 million). Let him end his career with the 49ers like he wants to. I like Anthony Dixon but he dances too much and isn't going to be the back of the future. Hunter has a shot but doubt he is ready. I'd rather pay Gore and use a high draft pick elsewhere. We'd be in trouble if he left after this year and we went into next season with Hunter/Dixon. Don't think they could handle the load.

P.S. Paul, let's not forget about all the receiving yards and TDs as well. How many 3rd/4th and longs has he converted by getting a 1 yard dump off as well? Look at his total yards from scrimmage and he is up there.

Who's Paul?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Who's Paul?

the walrus
  • dj43

I think he also become overly enamored with his ability (his reputation) of turning any old scrap into an elite RB. They were a great running team, yes, and a bunch of no-names came in and had 1,000 yard seasons--but by the end I think Shanahan just believed he could put some fat grandma in the backfield and get her into the pro-bowl.

my point is just that, despite the myth that "great RB's are a dime-a-dozen" (perpetuated since the Shanahan days), elite RB's are hard to find and DO make a difference for a team--especially when they are complete backs like Frank.

but overall I agree with your assessment. I just don't think we should convince ourselves that we can plug in any guy (or group of guys) and get the same results.
I agree. He certainly hit the wall in Washington. His "magic wand" no longer worked.

I do believe in drafting a RB every year. More so than any other skill position, we seem to see quality guys popping up in the mid-rounds. Given the injury rate, you can never have too many good RBs. I'd rather have to deal with trying to trade from an excess than desperately looking for a replacement and not finding one.
All of this stuff that is happening to the best player on our offense is going to fuel him into having one of his better years since 2006. I don't think the Niners trade him. They won't find a fair deal out there for him. And it won't be fair to the man who have given his all since he stepped into a Niner uni.
Frank came into the NFL with 2 "bum" knees and has done nothing but silenced his critics. Yes, he is older, but I'm pretty sure that man's will to prove people wrong about him has only gotten stronger. He's still got a couple of good years in him (tops). I'd really like to see him go out as a Niner though after those two good years. I just don't think he'll allow himself to do that. He loves the game too much.
what do people really think a team will give up for Gore, considering his age, injuries, and the fact that he wants a new contract? Teams won't trade much for a one-year rental, and neither will they trade much if they are then going to have to pay Gore the money we don't want to pay him.

Getting good value for him might be the smart business move, but we won't get good value for him. I'd rather overpay to keep him than get raped in a trade.

Give him a deal like we gave Nate and lets get on with this s**t and win the motherf**king West.
Share 49ersWebzone