LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

"Steve Young never learned how to read defenses"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
from Grant Napear on KHTK 1140 Sacramento....wow

also, "one of the worst hall of fame qb's at reading defenses, relied on his athleticism for his success"

i'm paraphrasing from what i just heard on the radio. does his statement have any validity to it?
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:16 PM ]
Idiot.

Early on, he did rely too much on athleticism, but toward the end of his career he was carving people up. His Qb rating was over 112 in '94. You don't do that if you can't read defenses.

To this day, there are STILL people who hate Young simply because he isn't Joe Montana.
Yeah, his athleticism alone accurately delivered passes to players en route to him being the NFL's All-Time leader in passer rating. Steve was a VERY smart QB. This guy is a freaking clown.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He is my favorite 49er of all time and I go back to the Brodie years.
one word about Napier, "Dip$h!t".
Ask the Chargers if he can read defenses
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yeah, his athleticism alone accurately delivered passes to players en route to him being the NFL's All-Time leader in passer rating. Steve was a VERY smart QB. This guy is a freaking clown.

This. Among the most accurate ever and could not read Ds. C'mon son.
pretty fly for a white guy
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Wouldn't want to have a conversation with this Grant character, he apparently only talks out of his ass.
[ Edited by Redeemer on Aug 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM ]
The NBA lockout needs to end so Napier's idiocy is confined to the Royals.

Career passer rating of 96.8 is the highest of any QB in NFL history.

That dude should be fired from his job for being such a Douche....
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Aug 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The NBA lockout needs to end so Napier's idiocy is confined to the Royals.

Is and always will be the Kings my friend
But yeah, grew up in Sac and Grant is a douche.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM ]
I love Grant announcing Kings games (many people do not share my view), but he's way off mark on this one.

Steve Young was the absolute master of reading defenses. One of his best jobs of reading what a defense was throwing at him came in the NFC Championship Game against the Cowboys during our last Super Bowl run.

I'll never forget how Madden diagrammed it -- and how UPSET Haley got -- because Young just BURNED Haley time and time again.

It appears that coaches picked out one of Haley's classic moves -- a wide sweeping rush in an attempt to get to the QB -- opened up the right side of the field for a brief second or two before the LB could move over and cover for Haley's absence.

Whenever Young spotted this move -- he just took off and ran right where Haley had been a second or two earlier. He ripped off some enormous runs in that game. And Haley was forced to abandon his signature move as the game wore on.

If that's not reading a defense, I don't know what is. But I will not forget that move to this very day.
Share 49ersWebzone