LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Its comical that people are playing the "Kevin Kolb has a lower career QB rating than ALex does" card, then say that Seattle has a worse QB situation than we do....when Tavaris has a better career QB rating than ALex does.

Just funny to me.

There isnt a single GM/head coach/front office in the NFL that would take ALex Smith over Kevin Kolb. Period.

There actually is one, the SF 49ers front office and coaching staff. Had the opportunity to grab Kolb and re-signed Alex instead.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Its comical that people are playing the "Kevin Kolb has a lower career QB rating than ALex does" card, then say that Seattle has a worse QB situation than we do....when Tavaris has a better career QB rating than ALex does.

Just funny to me.

There isnt a single GM/head coach/front office in the NFL that would take ALex Smith over Kevin Kolb. Period.

There actually is one, the SF 49ers front office and coaching staff. Had the opportunity to grab Kolb and re-signed Alex instead.

You have GOT to be joking me. If you honestly believe that the reason we dont have Kolb on our roster right now is because ALex Smith is a better quarterback, I am done interacting with you on this board.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM ]

Just funny to me.

[IMG]http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/images/smileys/laugh.gif[/IMG]

You have GOT to be joking me. If you honestly believe that the reason we dont have Kolb on our roster right now is because ALex Smith is a better quarterback, I am done interacting with you on this board. You clearly have an agenda and dont have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

overreact much? Obviously KOlb would've cost more than Alex but acting like dude is god is just friggin stupid. Chill out with your agenda BS. I was simply stating there was a team that chose Alex over Kolb. If the 9ers thought as highly of Kolb as you do they would've been willing to deal a first for him or some BS like that but they didnt even sniff around the situation. They might've thought Kolb was better or at the least equal but they still chose Alex over him. But yeah, Kolb is such a boss that he lost his job two weeks into the season . BTW I am fine if youre done "interacting" with me on this board, since I dont particularly value your interaction too much anyway.

Just funny to me.

You have GOT to be joking me. If you honestly believe that the reason we dont have Kolb on our roster right now is because ALex Smith is a better quarterback, I am done interacting with you on this board. You clearly have an agenda and dont have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

overreact much? Obviously KOlb would've cost more than Alex but acting like dude is god is just friggin stupid. Chill out with your agenda BS. I was simply stating there was a team that chose Alex over Kolb. If the 9ers thought as highly of Kolb as you do they would've been willing to deal a first for him or some BS like that but they didnt even sniff around the situation. They might've thought Kolb was better or at the least equal but they still chose Alex over him. But yeah, Kolb is such a boss that he lost his job two weeks into the season . BTW I am fine if youre done "interacting" with me on this board, since I dont particularly value your interaction too much anyway.

Overreaction. Maybe. Sorry.

But there are tons of reasons which the Niners chose ALex over Kolb. One of the reasons was NOT because ALex is a better player. Period.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
lol if you're going to say kolbs #'s are skewed by only playing a quarter then why don't you comment on 2 of his 300 yard games being skewed when 1) the first came in a blowout against the saints that turned into a blowout because he sucked so bad, then got a bunch of garbage yards in the 3rd/4th quarter and 2) his 2nd 300 yard game came against the worst pass defense in the league at the time (the chiefs).

a good coach once said this and it is true today as well: you are what you are in the nfl. kolb is a 75 rated passer with 3 career wins. alex is a career disappointment. bradford is a mediocre qb with a losing record as a starter. tavaris jackson has squandered any opportunity he has ever had. that is what the NFC west is made up of. players who have sucked dick for years and players who haven't really looked good but get a "pass" for now because of the P word (potential).
Well lets see, first off how did that game turn into a blowout because of him? Pretty sure any time your defense allows 48 points(400+yards) you've got a slim chance of winning no matter who is at quarterback.(unless his name is brees, brady, or manning)
He had some bad picks but that's going to happen in your FIRST nfl start. Their defense was not any better, such as the fumbled kick return that brees easily scored on the very next drive. Those "Garbage yards" are still more than alex could hope to produce and that was the only point I was making, that kolb is better, whether a lot of it has to do with "potential" or not.

If you want to go by win percentage, kolb is 3/8(37.5%), Smith is a career 19/51(about the same, around 38%) in games he's started. The difference is at least kolb could even himself out with one win streak, obviously the sample size we've got is MUCH smaller on him. Alex has years and years of losing where kolb has what amounts to half a season spread across a couple years.

Would you rather have potential to be better, or stick with the same old s**t?
[ Edited by mike on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran

I'm pretty sure they had to be one of the teams at least talking to philly about him, but the price they were asking for him was simply too high. Keep in mind the "lets build around the draft" plan baalke has been preaching about. With the lockout harbaugh might have been thinking more long term because this year very well could just be a transition year/rebuild year/evaluation year/whatever you want to call it. I think when they were coming up with "the plan" they had no idea if they'd even have a training camp.

So smith just made sense for several reasons...Another being that harbaugh is a QB's coach and until he goes hands on with him he doesn't know if Smith's problems are a quick fix or if he's just s**tty. Or if he was just a bad fit for previous schemes/systems and somehow is the perfect WCO qb

I believe kolb is the better QB, potential being just one reason. But I don't blame them for not pulling the trigger on an expensive deal to get him here.
[ Edited by mike on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:05 AM ]
i think two teams in our division, the redskins, raiders, dolphins, bills and a few other teams have much worse situations. we have a former 1st overall pick, the talent is there and he finally has a coach who knows what a QB is supposed to do other than hand off to frank gore. alex is a veteran and hes seen a lot, thats valuable experience. a rookie with insane physical skills, leadership and winning attitude waiting in the wings and a veteran qb to teach the two younger guys the ropes. Harbaugh is in charge, im not worried about our QBs, he will find ways to get wins out of them and they will respond to his coaching style just like everyone hes ever coached.
I think our QB situation at least has some hope to it because of Kap. I'm pretty excited about his potential.

You've got to love the spin coming from the org. though. Harbaugh makes a bit of a gaffe by saying it's a "competition" at QB and the media just took it and ran, blowing it up into a QB controversy. Sure enough, a day later he's talking up Smith and how he's pulled away from Kap and has solidified the #1 spot.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
#1 reason I don't like Kevin Kolb: He looks like a douche. Plain and simple. Too douchey.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
#1 reason I don't like Kevin Kolb: He looks like a douche. Plain and simple. Too douchey.

+1

Originally posted by valrod33:
Dolphins

agreed the Fins Qb's are atrocious
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I think our QB situation at least has some hope to it because of Kap. I'm pretty excited about his potential.

You've got to love the spin coming from the org. though. Harbaugh makes a bit of a gaffe by saying it's a "competition" at QB and the media just took it and ran, blowing it up into a QB controversy. Sure enough, a day later he's talking up Smith and how he's pulled away from Kap and has solidified the #1 spot.

Call it spin, but reading the practice summaries this week has Smith hitting long, medium and short passes with ease and CK still struggling. Harbaugh is just expressing what he sees, but also what he likely wanted to happen. I still believe they brought the 3rd QB in late so there wouldn't be any nonsense about him starting...doesn't know the play book. Not suggesting an evil conspiracy, just good management techniques.
Who cares how good the qb is if the line can't pass protect against a high school D line . If the qb is getting clobbered every 1 & a half seconds and the NFL is a passing league no qb will be successful. Close the bar the party is over.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Who cares how good the qb is if the line can't pass protect against a high school D line . If the qb is getting clobbered every 1 & a half seconds and the NFL is a passing league no qb will be successful. Close the bar the party is over.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
this thread is dumb

This
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Honestly, I don't get your point. The Niners signed a 6 year veteran to a one-year deal, drafted a guy who is not expected to get much playing time, signed a couple of young UFA, and now a older veteran who seems to be the 3rd QB.

And yes saying that Harbaugh needs to "settle down" when you have no idea what the state of his mind or thoughts is being melodramatic. You're making an assumption to fit your idea that Harbaugh is scrambling to pick up QBs when they have barely brought anyone in that would be considered a quality NFL starter at this point.

I get that the O-line needs improvement, so stop selling me on that idea, but the connection you are making here really makes no sense.

And this. Needed a vet #3, since Kaep is project. No big deal.
Share 49ersWebzone