LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

• WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I'm going to laugh if our "QB situation" gets us to the playoffs. I am a patient man.

I'm sure we all want that. But our QB situation is one of the bottom in the league.

We will see...it might be just fine. Everyone has these "matter of fact claims" but in reality nobody knows the future. Anything can happen. Ask Rich Gannon about his 4 pro bowls.

Yes anything can happen. I'm hoping Kaep can step it up and make some plays and lead us. But as for today, we have Josh Mcunknown, a rookie, and Alex Smith. This is just not how people envisioned our QB situaton to be this year and are a little disappointed. This is pretty much like a rerun starring new coaches, new system, same qb....Same story every year....Different results? Stay tuned....

I feel ya. Nobody wants to relive the recent past. But I always look for the silver lining...I would love to see Smith pull a Vogelsong like resurrection or Kaepernick be the next Brady. Is it likely...probably not. But could it happen...absolutely. With better coaching hopefully some magic happens for this franchise. Hell, with horrible coaching we were one win from the playoffs. I have faith.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Us Redskins and Dolphins are all tied lol
Looking around the NFL many teams have a good starting QB and no legitimate backup. So, SF has a holdover underacheiver starting, a rookie and a third stringer who actually has a better QB rating than the back ups in Indy, NE or Balt.

Until A Smith proves or disproves himself the 9ers will still be near the bottom but only by the skin of an injury to one of the top QBs! If they need to replace Smith then they will drop until CK can be developed or they find a veteran who can improve the spot. At any rate, the best hope for improvement in the near run is for Harbaugh to turn Smith's career around.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM ]
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
How sad is it that JTO was the best QB the 49ers have had in a decade

umm Jeff Garcia was our QB from 99-03

True. haha....damn so damn long ago!
Im going to laugh if our QB situation gets us to the playoffs. I am a patient man.

There is so much truth to this statement that the word true doesn't even do it justice. Something tells me that we have know idea what Alex is capable of, despite what he has or has not accomplished thus far in his career. Give it time people, Harbaugh convinced Baalke to give Alex a one year deal for a reason. They could have gone out and acquired a guy like Kolb or Johnson if they wanted too but Harbaugh sees something in Alex so let's see what happens.

Ohh and this thread is garbage.
[ Edited by goodthings19 on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Grossman>smith, he just is. If he were in the nfc west he'd lead one of these teams to the playoffs easily. Look at his game log at the end of last year, two 300 yd games, low ints, multiple tds. Underrated considering the lack of receiving talent they have. He hasn't had a chance to start consistently in a very long time.

Kolb>smith, His 75 passer rating is skewed by those games where he only starts one quarter and only completes half his passes(say...5/10). He's got the big game potential(300+ yard multiple td games) that alex does not have. He's got a bunch of potential considering he's always been a backup so he was never rushed in.

I'd say fitzpatrick is also better than him, another guy that would thrive in an easier division like ours. Just have to look at games like Ravens in week 7, one of the better defenses and he throws 380 yds/4tds and 2 picks. Smith has two career 300+ yd games, fitz had 2 last year.

Now...guys that are worse:
Tarvaris jackson - Sort of like troy smith, athletic but no arm. Whitehurst won't be good for seattle either.

Dalton/gradkowski- Dalton is unproven, could some day be better but we'll see, gradkowski has more career ints than td's and gets about 100 yds/game. Yuck.

Newton/clausen- Definitely better than clausen, and I don't see newton having a great year this year so for now...better than newton.

Jason campbell- Just look at their game vs us last year where he came in for an injured gradkowski and threw only 8 completions out of 21 attempts, two were picked off. He's had a few good games but when he's bad... he's bad.

Sanchez- He's young so he could get better for sure, but for the most part if it weren't for their amazing D and a decent run game, they'd still be a s**t team.

That's all I can think of at the moment...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by brizznasty:
Originally posted by susweel:
This is not meant to be a bash Alex post so lets not take it there.

Im talking more as an overall picture of all the QBs on the roster.

You're considered a vet on this board and you really think this would not turn into a Alex post? f**king troll.

Damn that's a pretty mean thing to say.
Originally posted by mike:
Grossman>smith, he just is. If he were in the nfc west he'd lead one of these teams to the playoffs easily. Look at his game log at the end of last year, two 300 yd games, low ints, multiple tds. Underrated considering the lack of receiving talent they have. He hasn't had a chance to start consistently in a very long time.

Kolb>smith, His 75 passer rating is skewed by those games where he only starts one quarter and only completes half his passes(say...5/10). He's got the big game potential(300+ yard multiple td games) that alex does not have. He's got a bunch of potential considering he's always been a backup so he was never rushed in.

I'd say fitzpatrick is also better than him, another guy that would thrive in an easier division like ours. Just have to look at games like Ravens in week 7, one of the better defenses and he throws 380 yds/4tds and 2 picks. Smith has two career 300+ yd games, fitz had 2 last year.

Now...guys that are worse:
Tarvaris jackson - Sort of like troy smith, athletic but no arm. Whitehurst won't be good for seattle either.

Dalton/gradkowski- Dalton is unproven, could some day be better but we'll see, gradkowski has more career ints than td's and gets about 100 yds/game. Yuck.

Newton/clausen- Definitely better than clausen, and I don't see newton having a great year this year so for now...better than newton.

Jason campbell- Just look at their game vs us last year where he came in for an injured gradkowski and threw only 8 completions out of 21 attempts, two were picked off. He's had a few good games but when he's bad... he's bad.

Sanchez- He's young so he could get better for sure, but for the most part if it weren't for their amazing D and a decent run game, they'd still be a s**t team.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

lol if you're going to say kolbs #'s are skewed by only playing a quarter then why don't you comment on 2 of his 300 yard games being skewed when 1) the first came in a blowout against the saints that turned into a blowout because he sucked so bad, then got a bunch of garbage yards in the 3rd/4th quarter and 2) his 2nd 300 yard game came against the worst pass defense in the league at the time (the chiefs).

a good coach once said this and it is true today as well: you are what you are in the nfl. kolb is a 75 rated passer with 3 career wins. alex is a career disappointment. bradford is a mediocre qb with a losing record as a starter. tavaris jackson has squandered any opportunity he has ever had. that is what the NFC west is made up of. players who have sucked dick for years and players who haven't really looked good but get a "pass" for now because of the P word (potential).

You're considered a vet on this board and you really think this would not turn into a Alex post? f**king troll.

where is that sarcasm font!?

Except for the fact that it's the reaction you wanted because you enjoy getting other people angry and in trouble because of you. Truth would hurt if you weren't just faking hurt feelings.

Seriously, worst QB situation in NFL? Alex isn't the greatest but he's not John Beck/Grossman status. You knew what you were doing when you started this thread.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Except for the fact that it's the reaction you wanted because you enjoy getting other people angry and in trouble because of you. Truth would hurt if you weren't just faking hurt feelings.

Seriously, worst QB situation in NFL? Alex isn't the greatest but he's not John Beck/Grossman status. You knew what you were doing when you started this thread.

Man some of you are just obsessed with Smith. I clearly stated this thread was not about him but more of an overall picture of all QBs on the roster.

But clearly some of you can't differentiate the two topics.

Man some of you are just obsessed with Smith. I clearly stated this thread was not about him but more of an overall picture of all QBs on the roster.

I'm not obsessed with Smith I'm just sick of trolling and inciting. It's b******t and it needs to stop. You're the one obsessed with Alex.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I'm not obsessed with Smith I'm just sick of trolling and inciting. It's b******t and it needs to stop. You're the one obsessed with Alex.

Relax dude

You are full of it. Stop playing innocent. You are either too cynical and wanted to create controversy by posting a thread question that rips Alex Smith or too unintelligent to know that it would do so. Either way this thread should get locked. I am not buying your act.
Its comical that people are playing the "Kevin Kolb has a lower career QB rating than ALex does" card, then say that Seattle has a worse QB situation than we do....when Tavaris has a better career QB rating than ALex does.

Just funny to me.

There isnt a single GM/head coach/front office in the NFL that would take ALex Smith over Kevin Kolb. Period.
Share 49ersWebzone