LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

One thing I have never understood

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Long time reader, but first time posting because this is one thing I am confused about. With our loss of Franklin and the need for nose tackle depth, why would the 49ers not make a play for someone such as Broderick Bunkley? He initially went to the Browns before eventually ending up with the Broncos, so he was not going to a immediate contender anyway. Is my opinion that wrong that a 5th rounder (what the browns gave), would be a terrible price to pay for needed depth and a proven run stopper at DT?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Maybe the coaches have enough faith in our current roster??? just a thought
They might feel the guys we have are up to the task, there will be some camp casualties when cuts happen, though the rarity of true NTs in the NFL makes it seem unlikely we can find one there. Welcome to the Zone my new friend!
we have soap, ian williams and rjf. thats 3 nts. its not the best depth in the world but it looks pretty solid and promising.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
we have soap, ian williams and rjf. thats 3 nts. its not the best depth in the world but it looks pretty solid and promising.
until the season starts......
Bunkley has been a major disappointment. I think he'd be more suited for 4-3 DT then maybe 3-4 DE. He may be worth a 5th round pick but he's been no better than Sopoaga has been.
Broderick Bunkley is not a NT, he would most likely play DE in our system.
They have to ben thinking he'll be no better than what we already have on the roster and an extra draft pick could be used in a btter way.

or maybe they thought he was out of shape?

• Jiks
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

That's the official joke of the summer
i think soap will be fine and RJF did a great job filling in for Franklin last year

I agree that Soap and RJF probably make the coaches comfortable and they may also be intrigued by Ian Williams.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM ]
Fans are judging guys who played in an awful system, some of them for years. We are going to find that some of these guys were severely handicapped by that and will surprise us when they get coached up and put into positions where they can succeed. Some won't, of course, but at least they will get a chance to succeed.
Share 49ersWebzone