LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

EVERYBODY GO CRAZY!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Great!!!! Just what the forum needs!!!!!

Another Alex Smith thread.
Originally posted by Shaj:
If VD were drafted by the Patriots, Packers, Colts, Chargers, or some team like that with a real QB, I'm thinking VD would have been a phenom from the get go, a perrenial pro-bowler and the indisputed top TE in the league in passing, blocking, speed, and the ability to create separation. Unfortunately, all of that has been hidden due to "captain checkdown". VD's put up good figures in spite of endless checkdowns to Gore, endless roll rights and throw out of bounds, and endless time spent blocking instead of running the field.

Jerry Rice wouldn't have had the same career if his QB was Alex Smith, let's be honest. He probably wouldn't even be making probowls, and certainly wouldn't be breaking any records.

I think VD could have had HOF worthy results by now (which he would have to continue for another 5 - 7 years before he could be a serious candidate), but that has been completely derailed because he has had one of the worst QBs in the league throwing to him his entire career.

I know you all want to blame it on coaching and other factors, but thruth be known, if Alex had played like a #1 from the get go, nothing else would have mattered. Everything else is a red herring and an excuse.

bash me now....

I agree with you. He's destroying Crabtree's career also. Alex Smith supporters are quick to call Crabtree a bust after two seasons, but will defend Alex Smith after 7 seasons of proven failure.
Holy shieet it's finay Friday!!! Can't wait!
Originally posted by hofer36:
has Alex Smith ruined trhe world economy..More at 11

I wouldn't say that, but he has certainly ruined any chance for the Niners to be a contender.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Nighner:
I agree with you. He's destroying Crabtree's career also. Alex Smith supporters are quick to call Crabtree a bust after two seasons, but will defend Alex Smith after 7 seasons of proven failure.

Crabtree not playing a pre-season snap has ruined his career... Does that not have anything to do with it? Not bashing the guy either.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Kind of hard to do that when its pinned already.

+1

That one was from Aug. 3rd. The mod bumped it after my original post... Boo on them!
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:27 AM ]
Honestly I know its preseason but I hope we don't start off with those darn yellow flags. Also again I know it's preseason but I'm curious to see how Coach Harbaugh coaches his first game.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
From 2006 to 2009 they played 13 games together

no TE has more Tds the last 2 years than VD and most of the TDs came from Alex Smith(16 of 20Tds to be exact)

What a retarded way to bash Alex Smith. VD had his own issues at the start of his career that had nothing to do with Alex Smith

/thread

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Crabtree not playing a pre-season snap has ruined his career... Does that not have anything to do with it? Not bashing the guy either.

No, Crabtree has not missed a regular season game due to injury. Who really cares about playing in the preseason? Ask Tom Brady and company how important are preseason games.

We're talking about when the games matter. Alex Bust Smith (again, when the games count) is proven crap. No receiver will reach their potential is an Alex Bust Smith lead offense. If the 9ers had a QB as good as Orton we would be a playoff team, with Alex Bust Smith, we're once again headed toward NFL purgatory, at the bottom of the NFC west.
Wow , there is nothing like forgeting all of the balls V Davis dropped in the beginning , or how lousy the OL was and how he was kept in to block or the coaching and play calling had little effect , or the carousel of OC's including Martz that muddled his development.

Yeah V Davis would have done better in a stable TE friendly offense without all of the OC changes and a good OL no doubt about it , but no you want to put it all on one QB who was replaced by another carousel of Qb's like JT , Hill , Dilfer , and the other Smith , like those changes didn't also effect V Davis's carreer.

Sorry but you lost me with your narrow focus and I haven't been a huge supporter of Smith by the way.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM ]

• dj43
A better QB might have allowed him to put up better numbers but when I watch him run erratic crossing patterns, sometimes behind the LB, sometimes in front, not make adjustments to blitz packages and the like, I would submit VD has been his own source of shortcomings as much as the QB. FULL DISCLOSURE: if anyone has been reading my comments on Davis, they will also recall that I have consistently blamed that on the failure of his TE coaches to train him to run route properly and learn to read and adjust.

In summary, VD is like a LOT of players on this team; he would be a better player now if he had had better coaching since he got here. Let's hope the changes are doing what we all hope.
Not really... Smith and VD actually have a rapport. And because Smith struggles getting the ball deep and outside to the WRs, Gore and VD are safety valves for him. VD's numbers have been good... VD sabotaged his career early on, once he pulled his head out of his a55 he started to play up to his potential. Also, VD has always backed Smith. Maybe just for the media, but it sounds somewhat sincere.
If VD were drafted by the Patriots, Packers, Colts, Chargers, or some team like that with a real QB, I'm thinking VD would have been a phenom from the get go, a perrenial pro-bowler and the indisputed top TE in the league in passing, blocking, speed, and the ability to create separation. Unfortunately, all of that has been hidden due to "captain checkdown". VD's put up good figures in spite of endless checkdowns to Gore, endless roll rights and throw out of bounds, and endless time spent blocking instead of running the field.

Jerry Rice wouldn't have had the same career if his QB was Alex Smith, let's be honest. He probably wouldn't even be making probowls, and certainly wouldn't be breaking any records.

I think VD could have had HOF worthy results by now (which he would have to continue for another 5 - 7 years before he could be a serious candidate), but that has been completely derailed because he has had one of the worst QBs in the league throwing to him his entire career.

I know you all want to blame it on coaching and other factors, but thruth be known, if Alex had played like a #1 from the get go, nothing else would have mattered. Everything else is a red herring and an excuse.

bash me now....

bash me now....

Try reading Valrod's post in this thread. And on the subject of Crabtree, Singletary and Crabtree must carry that responsibility.
  • carl
  • Veteran
I wouldn't say it was Alex Smith's fault that Vernon Davis got drafted by a team that didn't exploit his talent and ability.

As I recall, when VD had that monster pro-bowl season scoring the (second most?) TD's of any receiver in a season, it was Alex who could have ran into the endzone but instead threw it to VD to help him get that great stat. Why risk a dropped pass when he could have run into the endzone?

Why all the hating on this board?

bash me now....

bash me now....

Thats some BS right there. I support Alex and think the hate thrown at Crabtree is ridiculous.

I think the problem is coaching. Not only does Alex (and the rest of the offense for that matter...people sometimes forget the ENTIRE OFFENSE needs to learn a new playbook every year) get a new OC every year, but other than McCarthy and Turner they have all been BAD Offensive Coordinators.

You could make a case for Martz, but Alex didn't even play that year after re-injuring his shoulder. Don't even get me started on Martz and Vernon Davis.

Lets look at the OCs...

McCarthy: Alex was a rook with no weapons. Didn't have success...AT ALL. Not a good year. Can't take the blame of his plate...he was BAD.

Turner: Had one of the biggest turnaround years in NFL history. Sadly, it wasn't because he was that good...its because he was that BAD as a rookie. Still, began to look promising.

Hostler: Team thought they were gonna keep Turner until SD grabbed him VERY late. Nolan wanted to keep same system, but Hostler was hopelessly outmatched. Alex got hurt early and tried to come back when he shouldn't have. This season proved to me that Nolan was a lunatic.

Martz: This one was bad from the start. Martz got "his guy" at QB and killed the O. Didn't have the line to block and kept one of the best TE in the NFL in to block on every down. Alex was hurt before the season ever started....lost year. When peeps talk about 6 years of failure, I never think thats correct because he lost almost 2 years to injury.

Raye: Absolute lack of imagination. Predictable. I remember there was a play where Morgan went in motion. If he stopped at the end of the line, it was a run 100% of the time. If I can see that sitting on my couch eating chips, I'm sure other teams can too. Alex didn't even get on the field until week 6 and played very well ina few games.

Johnson: Not horrible, but didn't even get to install his offense as he took over at midseason. Tried to rework the O in the middle of the year, but as usual...failure. The musical chairs at QB proved that Sing was just as bad a HC as Nolan.

So....Bad as a rook, looked better as a Soph, got hurt in 3rd year and was thrown under the bus by his HC, re-injured in year 4 and didn't play, took over in week 6 of year 5 and was OK, Then had another bad year under Raye/Johnson. I'm not saying the guy doesn't have his flaws. HE wouldn't even say that.

What I'm saying tho is that Harbaugh is right. If you wanted to write a gameplan on how to ruin a young QB, all you would have to do is copy the Alex Smith script.

As for ruining Vernon Davis....Actually Vernon has better stats with Alex than with any of the other QBs he's played with. The reason Vernons stats aren't better is because he was a SELFISH player early on and dropped ALOT of passes. Then he got Martz and became an offensive lineman for a year. Sing did 2 great things which we should all thank him for. He coached Patrick Willis and he kicked Vernon out of that game vs Seattle. Vernon has been a different player ever since.
Share 49ersWebzone