LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
People just don't want to face the idea that our WRs simply were not getting open very much. Watching other QBs, they all have the same issues with precise route timing and missing the exact window due to extra caution. The difference? Those WRs would attack the football as if it belonged to them. Our boys acted as if the ball should always land softly in their hands not outstretched.

Oh come on did you even watch the games last year? Smith threw the ball like s**t, All the WRs were making catches stretching out risking injury on poorly thrown balls. Crabtree got upended and landed on his neck. Morgan tried to catch everything and was beat the fk up on Smith passes. Walker, VD, same thing tried to catch those high wobblers and were blasted. Its takes some amazing bias to blame our receivers for Smiths mediocre passing.

As usual, you got it all wrong due to your own intense dislike for Alex.

Yes, I watch, record, and watch the games over and over again. Huge disparity in ability/effort from our receivers to those on most other teams. It's absolutely no surprise that Alex lost faith in throwing to his targets.
this

Perhaps our wrs have lost faith in the QB?

A.S. is responsible for some of the mistakes, like ints, fumble, underthrows or over throws. Not all, but more then a few.

Either way, he shouldn't lose faith in his WR and the WR shouldn't lose faith in the QB. Its a character flaw.

Good post man, it is a two way street, they should be able to have faith in each other. I think they do, i think people make too big a deal about the Crabtree issue, they guy will come around when the games start, and he will be against #2 corners most likely.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
People just don't want to face the idea that our WRs simply were not getting open very much. Watching other QBs, they all have the same issues with precise route timing and missing the exact window due to extra caution. The difference? Those WRs would attack the football as if it belonged to them. Our boys acted as if the ball should always land softly in their hands not outstretched.

Oh come on did you even watch the games last year? Smith threw the ball like s**t, All the WRs were making catches stretching out risking injury on poorly thrown balls. Crabtree got upended and landed on his neck. Morgan tried to catch everything and was beat the fk up on Smith passes. Walker, VD, same thing tried to catch those high wobblers and were blasted. Its takes some amazing bias to blame our receivers for Smiths mediocre passing.

As usual, you got it all wrong due to your own intense dislike for Alex.

Yes, I watch, record, and watch the games over and over again. Huge disparity in ability/effort from our receivers to those on most other teams. It's absolutely no surprise that Alex lost faith in throwing to his targets.

Well Jim Harbaugh seems to think that the WRs we have ability and give effort. I don't think coach would keep a player that didn't have either of the two.

He didn't cut or release any of them. He seems to think highly of D Walker and VD, who have become good receivers. All we did this year was went out and got Edwards and drafted R.Johnson in the late rounds.

If our WRs are as bad as you say, A.Smith and the 49ers will have the same problems. He will ahve to check it down because Edwards is not known for his precise routes or his hands. I don't consider Edwards elite. R.Johnson is a late round pick and may not make the team.

Unless you think Edwards and Johnsn and 10 UDFA WRs will be the key for Smith to have better success, we are sunk this year.
I believe this years team will make a huge leap from last year. I believe we had the talent last year to make the playoffs, we just didnt have the right coaching staff to do it. I believe this is definitely our year to make a loud bang and go to the playoffs with much dismay to others. Go Niners!!! We will shock everyone this year!!!!
Originally posted by JoeNiner1974:
I believe this years team will make a huge leap from last year. I believe we had the talent last year to make the playoffs, we just didnt have the right coaching staff to do it. I believe this is definitely our year to make a loud bang and go to the playoffs with much dismay to others. Go Niners!!! We will shock everyone this year!!!!

Been hearing this for years now.
People will come up with anything to start a thread
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Sooner or later it has to be true...doesn't it?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Sooner or later it has to be true...doesn't it?
I will be watching the 49ers/Redskins game at the 50 yard line on the 49ers sideline. I hope they are entertaining. The last 49ers game I went to was in 1994 in Indianapolis with Steve Young and Jerry Rice. They lost the game though.
  • dj43
[quote=Young2Rice][quote=dj43][quote=oldman9er][quote=jimmy49erfan][quote=oldman9er]People just don't want to face the idea that our WRs simply were not getting open very much. Watching other QBs, they all have the same issues with precise route timing and missing the exact window due to extra caution. The difference? Those WRs would attack the football as if it belonged to them. Our boys acted as if the ball should always land softly in their hands not outstretched. [/quote] Oh come on did you even watch the games last year? Smith threw the ball like s**t, All the WRs were making catches stretching out risking injury on poorly thrown balls. Crabtree got upended and landed on his neck. Morgan tried to catch everything and was beat the fk up on Smith passes. Walker, VD, same thing tried to catch those high wobblers and were blasted. Its takes some amazing bias to blame our receivers for Smiths mediocre passing.[/quote] As usual, you got it all wrong due to your own intense dislike for Alex. Yes, I watch, record, and watch the games over and over again. Huge disparity in ability/effort from our receivers to those on most other teams. [b]It's absolutely no surprise that Alex lost faith in throwing to his targets.[/b] [/quote] this[/quote] Perhaps our wrs have lost faith in the QB? A.S. is responsible for some of the mistakes, like ints, fumble, underthrows or over throws. Not all, but more then a few. Either way, he shouldn't lose faith in his WR and the WR shouldn't lose faith in the QB. Its a character flaw.[/quote]

It is a two-way street, however, it is an overstatement to say that it is a character flaw.

Alex has certainly missed on some passes but it is also true that Vernon Davis has been a very unpredictable target on short crossing routes when instead of going IN FRONT of the LB on some routes as he should, he goes BEHIND them. These routes should be the quick opening routes that allow the QB a safe, easy throw. Unfortunately, as we are now learning from TC reports this year, Davis had not been schooled to run the route correctly and the result is that Alex not only looks bad when the pass isn't complete, he also becomes hesitant in the future because he doesn't know where his primary receiver is going to run the route.

As we see more of the JH offense unfolding, it appears this is one of those areas where good coaching will solve the problem from both ends.
am i the only one seeing the new quote isnt in a seperate blue highlighted box? the new upgrade has to have a glitch right?
  • dj43
Webbie said they are looking into the fix for that.

figured as much but i wasnt sure. before i ran ie in compatibility mode the reply box was about 2in small.
QBs lose faith in WRs who do not finish routes and seem not to care. The difference is that most teams support their QBs over the WRs because they are the decision makers on the field. When the game is over and the team is in the film room it is time for the coach to go over the mistakes and let players know who was responsible. If it lasts more than a game, you have bad coaching or a player who is so good, Moss, that the coach has to tell the QB, "Oh well, live with it." Crabtree is not Moss. You can't say that Smith is lazy or dogging it, so it's on the WR.

If our receivers have lost faith in Smith why do VD and Morgan have really good rapport (demonstrated by good QB ratings) with him? So you are using a tired excuse to defend Crabtree that is obviously in error...again! Edit--Smith threw to Crabtree as much or more than other WRs, so he did not lose faith in him and he improved throughout the year.

As far as character flaws, I see it as human nature to respond to the reality of a situation. If a WR keeps running incorrect routes or short arming the ball, a smart QB will stop depending on them and go to others.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
QBs lose faith in WRs who do not finish routes and seem not to care. The difference is that most teams support their QBs over the WRs because they are the decision makers on the field. When the game is over and the team is in the film room it is time for the coach to go over the mistakes and let players know who was responsible. If it lasts more than a game, you have bad coaching or a player who is so good, Moss, that the coach has to tell the QB, "Oh well, live with it." Crabtree is not Moss. You can't say that Smith is lazy or dogging it, so it's on the WR.

If our receivers have lost faith in Smith why do VD and Morgan have really good rapport (demonstrated by good QB ratings) with him? So you are using a tired excuse to defend Crabtree that is obviously in error...again!

As far as character flaws, I see it as human nature to respond to the reality of a situation. If a WR keeps running incorrect routes or short arming the ball, a smart QB will stop depending on them and go to others.

for sure, i know guys like favre and brady will yell and scream at a coach to get this ******* guy out of the huddle if they are doing stupid stuff and not 100% focused. alex might have to man up and do the same and take the bull by the horns. i just think he might be to nice of a guy to do something like that.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Well Jim Harbaugh seems to think that the WRs we have ability and give effort. I don't think coach would keep a player that didn't have either of the two.

He didn't cut or release any of them. He seems to think highly of D Walker and VD, who have become good receivers. All we did this year was went out and got Edwards and drafted R.Johnson in the late rounds.

If our WRs are as bad as you say, A.Smith and the 49ers will have the same problems. He will ahve to check it down because Edwards is not known for his precise routes or his hands. I don't consider Edwards elite. R.Johnson is a late round pick and may not make the team.

Unless you think Edwards and Johnsn and 10 UDFA WRs will be the key for Smith to have better success, we are sunk this year.

I actually DO agree that it's a two-way street between QB and WR. In the past I did suggest that Alex was losing faith in his targets and this was causing some hesitation in his throws... and most importantly, that is NOT acceptable on Alex's part. As a pro QB and WR, there must always be faith and the efforts can not be lessened despite any flicker of distrust.

I don;t think our receivers are horrible, no. Don't mean to suggest that. I do think they make too many critical mistakes each game, and that this needs to improve. The talent is pretty much there, but I want to see guys like Morgan and Ginn make a better effort on deep balls. I want to see less easy drops... and I want to see the Crabtree of the 2nd half of 2010 rather than the early half.
Check downs are a staple of the WCO...
Share 49ersWebzone