There are 200 users in the forums

***SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DETROIT LIONS GAMEDAY THREAD ***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
Detroit's strength offensively is their passing game. Defensively, it's their line. Just so happens that those two units face off against the two aspects of our team that have been the most suspect this year: the defensive secondary and the offensive line. These two units showed a lot of improvement today against the Bucs, so it will be very interesting to see if we can up the day to day improvement that has been the manta of Coach Harbaugh since he got here.

We lose next week, we're still in great position to take the division and make the playoffs(legitimately, not 7-9 style).

We win next week, though, and it might be time to start using "special" to describe this team.

Matt Stafford won't be throwing the picks that Freeman did. Plus we will have to defenedn Calvin Johnson. I still say we can win the game and the other key will be to run the ball to wear out their defense and keep the ball away from them. We need to use our new offense to get an early lead in this game.
Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Well, it comes back to haunt us when we have to travel all the way to Baltimore for a Thursday game.

Isn't that Thankgiving?

Yup and it's the NFL Network game.
I'm always a little nervous facing off against good quarterbacks
[ Edited by YungAce on Oct 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM ]
Is anyone worried about Suh going against Davis!!
Originally posted by Gbombninerfan:
Is anyone worried about Suh going against Davis!!

I don't think Suh plays DE.
the lions don't have a great offensive line. for the past 2 weeks, we have really had to account for a scrambling qb. not so this week. detroit doesn't have a running game that scares you (although best can gash you at times).

obviously you have to worry about calvin johnson but i think pettigrew could cause us the most problems (as TE's always do). still, i think we come out on top. much like the eagles, the lions have a good defensive line and not much else on defense
I hope the Lions win tomorrow. I want the Niners to be the first to beat them. That would be f**kin' sweet man.

He will be up against iupati
Both teams have great D lines and average O lines. This will be the toughest game we've played so far this year.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
the lions don't have a great offensive line. for the past 2 weeks, we have really had to account for a scrambling qb. not so this week. detroit doesn't have a running game that scares you (although best can gash you at times).

obviously you have to worry about calvin johnson but i think pettigrew could cause us the most problems (as TE's always do). still, i think we come out on top. much like the eagles, the lions have a good defensive line and not much else on defense

Aldon Smith and Books are going to be very important for us next week. We will shut down their run and then they will throw it a LOT. We have the players to rush the passer. I hope Aldon is on the field all day.

The Lions will be much tougher tto beat than the Bucs. Also, it's a home game for them, while we once again travel East. Hard to predict the outcome, but I think our OLINE performance will be the key to the game (I guess it always is). The 49ers coaches, so far, seem to be doing a good job coaching the players, what to expect, etc.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Matchup of the week. Best out of their respective positions coming out of last years draft.

We will see which one is the better player.
[ Edited by QBguru on Oct 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

according to siragusa his name is "lapooey"
Hope the 49ers stay at Ohio from Wednesday to acclimate themselves to the time difference.

Going to be a tough match up but hey...I thought we'd be 2-3 right now so anything can happen. If we play like we did today then obviously we can win this.

Alex needs to continue doing what he's doing. That said he had two passes today that were sure fire picks. Im glad he's going deep and taking chances but better teams will pick those off. Not complaining but just gotta keep that in mind. Point being: no costly mistakes. Throwing a pick when you're up 34-3 in the 4th quarter is whatever...throwing a pick when you're down 14-10 in the 4th is a game changer.

This game will come down to the o-line and d-line. If o line does their job then Alex will do his as will Gore/Hunter. If d line does their job then our secondary's job is that much easier.

Should be entertaining but even if we lose...I'll take 4-2 into the bye any year. Never thought we'd be 4-2 right now. After the Lions...only the Ravens and Steelers pose legit threats. Every other game is winnable. Not to get carried away but I feel like 10-6 or even 11-5 is a very real possibility.
Share 49ersWebzone