There are 159 users in the forums

the eating crow for FA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It is heartnening to see the Niners make these last minute moves. Adding Goodwin, Whitner and Edwards helps our team's chances a lot more in 2011 than the roster we had a couple days ago. Some notes to go with BrianGo's listing of free agent players signed by the team, in addition to Corcoran, who was also signed:

Braylon Edwards- A nice potential addition to the WR's. 53 receptions in 2010 was not impressive, but 17.1 yards/catch and 7 TD's is nice. Living in Ohio, and watching a ton of Browns' games over the years, I have to say "Buyer Beware". The kid is an underachiever, and has hands of stone. Ted Ginn hands of stone. But, certainly worth the risk for the money, especially with Crabtree down for awhile. Edwards, who is never going to win the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, still has to clear a potential legal hurdle, as mentioned from Fox News in the story below today:

NFL free agent Braylon Edwards could face legal trouble Thursday for his role in a fight that broke out at a bar in Birmingham, Mich., early Monday, the Detroit Free Press reported.

A statement from South Bar, in downtown Birmingham, implicated Edwards in the incident that saw two of his cousins charged with felonious assault after allegedly attacking two bouncers with a pocket knife and a fork.

"Braylon Edwards was present and involved, but it's an ongoing police investigation, so at this time, we don't have any further information," the bar confirmed Tuesday.

The Free Press also reported that "privately, employees at South Bar said Edwards was spurring on his cousins rather than trying to get them to stop fighting."

Edwards' cousins, brothers Tre Lenard Wright, 19, and Edmund Jerrell Wright, 22, both pleaded not guilty Monday.

Donte Whitner- Another big name acquisition who has underachieved, like Edwards, but presents good value in this contract, especially when analyzing the Niners' secondary. Like Edwards, the team really did not have much interest in retaining him, and like Edwards, did not have big interest to be picked up around the league.

He's still young, and can be a guy who holds the fort for two years, but Buffalo fans were not heartbroken over his departure, which should temper some Niners' fans enthusiasm. A good, but not great player.

Johnathan Goodwin- As mentioned last night on the Goodwin thread, he's going to be 33 during this season, and the Saints left him to walk. He was the 7th, 8th, 9th center (if someone can verify that would be great) to sign in free agency. Might hold up two years, and the best part is that it frees Snyder to replace Rachal. Got a lot of help in NO with their two monster All-Pro guards.

Carlos Rogers- As in common with the previously mentioned threesome, not much interest around the league. Definitely a second or third tier CB at this point, and nowhere near the level of Asomugha, Joseph, Taylor, or even Carr...but miles better than T. Brown. So, another good one year signing.

Antwan Applewhite- He is a roster filler, a guy who is a team's fourth OLB. Not worthy of being excited.

Larry Grant- A big hustle guy who will compete for a backup ILB role. Good special teamer.

I get the idea that many want a collective crow eating to take place on the board. I'm not sure why this is so important to them. Some are calling for people to aplogize. Now, that is bizarre. Maybe they believe Trent Baalke is a genius, and the master plan fell into place. Maybe they just want to dismiss any criticism against ownership. I guess Trent and Jed have many relatives on the board.

Well, I can guarantee that this was not the master plan. This was not even the backup to the master plan or the backup to the backup to the master plan. It was a complete failure up front, with a mad scramble to pick up big-named players who are in the back side of their career, or have massively underachieved. A celebration for big-named guys that virtually nobody wanted in free agency is not a reason for an "aha" moment, or a demand for crow-eating.

Will the acquisitions help the team? I think so. Edwards brings a big play ability, but will also crush your heart. However, fans have to ask themselves: why was there so little interest around the league for him? The same goes for Whitner and Rogers. All of them are better than the current man on the roster,so this makes me happy. But is any a "difference maker", someone who will take a team to the next level? No.

That is my opinion.

Now, on to Taylor Mays. And... suddenly, without warning, the "aha" crowd goes defeaningly silent.

Cheers.

I don’t know why everyone gets so worked up about your posts you when you are clearly joking. I love this shtick you have perfected. You know, the one where you come off as this insufferable douche bag, who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, who refuses to ever acknowledge when he is wrong, who creates these “big boards” and player analysis based solely on the regurgitated material from true professionals, who is so desperate for attention that he intentionally creates flawed, exaggerated, inflammatory arguments just to pit himself against everyone else, who is clearly the Will Hunting of college and pro football who toils away in OH grading papers when in reality he is the greatest football mind since Bill Walsh just waiting for his big break. You should be lauded for creating this persona; it really brings some levity to the zone. I mean can you imagine if someone like that really existed?? Cheers

WOW!!

• Jiks
Funny to read through this and see how many people are right back on the hater-aid around here.

In a matter of 2 weeks. Ill break it down

2 Weeks ago-We love Harbaugh he is great, we have a good chance at being good
3 days later- We haven't signed a FA we are doomed! OMG lets freak out and say how bad we hate this team and Baalke
3 days later- Oh well I'm here to eat crow because I overreact about every little thing. Patience doesn't exist
1 week later- "How pathetic are We?" "Were doomed after 11 practices" OMG the sky is falling Andre Luck, Andrew Luck, Andrew Luck.
My guys of 1 week from today- Dang we are looking pretty good! I guess these guys just needed time togehter, more than a week of practice we are back in the play-off hunt.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Funny to read through this and see how many people are right back on the hater-aid around here.

3 days later- We haven't signed a FA we are doomed! OMG lets freak out and say how bad we hate this team and Baalke
3 days later- Oh well I'm here to eat crow because I overreact about every little thing. Patience doesn't exist
1 week later- "How pathetic are We?" "Were doomed after 11 practices" OMG the sky is falling Andre Luck, Andrew Luck, Andrew Luck.
My guys of 1 week from today- Dang we are looking pretty good! I guess these guys just needed time togehter, more than a week of practice we are back in the play-off hunt.

damn kid you pulled the trigger bit early. i was going to wait till start of regular season to expose the many FICKLE ass numbskulls. regardless that's all I've witnessed as you have put it in here for few years now.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

seriously

i expected this game would be ugly i even started a thread before the game saying first 2 preseason games is ugly

we have a complicated WCO and alex has ahad 6 days to learn it the rest of the team 12 i would be worried if we picked up the offense that quick people need to realize it will take more than 12 or in some cases 6 practices to learn a new complicated offense

I expect our offense will only look good by week 3
This + a vet QB
Share 49ersWebzone