There are 251 users in the forums

Forum maintenance scheduled for Tuesday, August 9 at 9:00 PM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please be aware that we are scheduling forum maintenance scheduled for Tuesday, August 9 starting at 9:00 PM Pacific time. This may change depending on my availability or any important 49ers related news that may be occurring at this time.

We are estimating the maintenance period to last about 6 hours. This could be more depending on any unexpected issues I encounter during the maintenance.

This maintenance should only impact the forums and the rest of the site should be fully available during this time.

IMPORTANT:
Please make sure that you know your password or that your email address (in case you need to use the password recovery) on record is correct. After the maintenance window, you will be required to log back into the forums. You can change your password and email address within the Members Area.

Ok. So what is this maintenance? It is actually a forum upgrade. For 4 months, the forum was being rewritten. While the original intention was just to do a code rewrite and not add any features, that changed as I went along. Some things have changed in the new forum. Below are just a few of the key changes that have been put into place.

WYSIWYG Editor

For those in recent versions of IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome, you will see a visual editor rather than the one you are used to. So no more [ b ] tags and things like that. When you bold something while typing, it actually shows up as bold. When you add an image, the image actually shows up as you are typing. For mobile devices, this is not available. The mobile devices will work exactly as they do now, accepting the tags for bold, underline, whatever. If you do not like this, you can turn it off and go back to the legacy BBCode editor that is in use now. You can do this while editing your profile in the Members Area.

Improved profile pages

The profile pages have been changed to encourage more participation within them. They have a social networking feel to them now. Somewhat limited now, but hopefully we can add more down the road.

Search

Search is now available on any forum page. Front page, boards, threads. You just click on "Search" at the top and a basic search box appears. You can also click through to the advanced search.

Notifications

Notifications tie into the new profile pages to alert you when someone has interacted with you.

Consolidated pages

Some features have been consolidated. For example, the change password page and the page to edit your profile info have been combined. Most of the other consolidated pages are for mods only.

Quote+ and PM+

Quoting now just quotes the post made by the user. So say kidash quoted someone who quoted someone else and said "Cool" as a reply. Well, quoting him would not include the posts that he quoted. However, Quote+ will. As for PM+, you can think of this as a "Quote post and PM" button. "Quote and PM" just would not fit.

Watch List

Your watch list is now a separate page that looks very similar to the thread listings in a forum to give you a lot more information.

Edit 'Notify me if quoted'

You can now edit this option from the edit page.

Last Page I Viewed

When browsing a forum page (the page that lists the threads), you will see a little grey arrow on threads you have viewed if you read beyond page 1. Clicking on this arrow will take you to the last page that you were viewing within that thread.

Breadcrumbs

I absolutely HATE the navigation (or lack of) within the current forum. I always wanted to add breadcrumbs to the forum. So if I start on the front page, at the top and bottom will be "49erswebzone.com Forum" because that is where I am. It will not be clickable because I am already on that page. If I venture into Niner Talk, my breadcrumb will change to "49erswebzone.com Forum > Niner Talk" and 49erswebzone.com Forum will now be a link back to the forum front page. Clicking on a thread will change it to "49erswebzone.com Forum > Niner Talk > Title of Thread" where everything but the title of the thread is now clickable. I think you get the point.

Mobile

Quick Search added to each forum page. Edit my post added. Mobile profile pages added as well. Again, not much else changed in the mobile site.

Thanks to the beta testers

For weeks, we have transported the beta testers to a secret location where they were sworn to secrecy and locked in rooms without food to test the new forums.

Your wonderful beta testers include each of the moderators and the following users selected by the moderator staff.

English
boast
9erReign
valrod33
luv49rs
LA9erFan
StOnEy333

The beta testers were extremely helpful in finding bugs and helping to get them fixed over the past few weeks. So I wanted to take a moment to thank them for all of their hard work in making sure everything worked smoothly. I cannot thank them enough. Those in the Bay Area, I will have to buy them a drink before the home opener or something.

Most of the other changes are code changes that impact the way the forum works. Some design changes as well.

[ Edited by Webmaster on Aug 7, 2011 at 20:29:23 ]
boooooooo
Not cool! I don't approve!
while I dont approve this message, im glad it isnt on the 12th at 8 est when we face Saints, that would suck.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Ferns are pretty, they grow all over the place. I like rainbows, so magical. You want to see my speical place, hidden deep inside me?
Originally posted by Chief:
Ferns are pretty, they grow all over the place. I like rainbows, so magical. You want to see my speical place, hidden deep inside me?

OK, another chief post not making sense, ive been missing those,
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Chief:

OK, another chief post not making sense, ive been missing those,

while I dont approve this message, im glad it isnt on the 12th at 8 est when we face Saints, that would suck.

I wanted to do it sooner with less warning, but the mods insisted you guys have plenty of warning to prepare for forumageddon.

Which is fair. If it were up to me, I would do it whenever I want to and give no warning at all. Suckas.

• Jiks
Does this mean people are going to have to go out and do something? Venture into the unknown?
Originally posted by Webmaster:

I wanted to do it sooner with less warning, but the mods insisted you guys have plenty of warning to prepare for forumageddon.

Which is fair. If it were up to me, I would do it whenever I want to and give no warning at all. Suckas.

Oh no, Ive been pwned,
I'm officially protesting
Originally posted by valrod33:
I'm officially protesting

Share 49ersWebzone