Niners Sign C Goodwin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I guess we can go back to hating life ..thanks MD

Sorry, but reality sucks. The Baalke-York combination set the bar so low for achievement that I think many are thrilled to pick up these guys. However, it doesn't get them off the hook for their complete incompetence.

Let's say I took everyone on the Webzone back to the day before free agency opened and stated that we would lose six starters (Baas, Clements, Spikes, Lawson, Franklin, Goldson) and would pick up Madieu Williams, Carlos Rogers, and Jonathan Goodwin. Be honest, people, you would throw a complete and utter fit.

And yet, many board members are acting as if this free agency has been a remarkable success. The Yorks have duped fans again and expect us to "be patient", and believe they have a "plan". Do any on the board believe the plan was to get anything that looks like Williams, Rogers, and Goodwin?

lol

They can s**tcan everyone of those players..in case you havn't noticed.....not a one of them is anything special. In fact, it just goes to show the lack of talent this team has had over the last few years. In fact, as far as I am concerned, they can keep that axe sharp and hack a few more.

Hate to tell ya...the bar you got going with those players ain't too high. Maybe Goldson's next? Won't break my heart if he stays or goes, either way...something better than what he has provided so far, will be needed there.

Agreed, upgrading simply by the fact that different guys with more potential get the chance to be greater than those mediocre pieces of s**t.

How many pro bowl players did we get rid of? ANY?

I know. lol

Maddog acts like we just sold our next decade up the creek.

WTF..new regimes mean turnover, lots of it. Everyone of those player's were prime meat for a new regime to come in and hack the f**k off the roster.

But the Niners said their first objective was to keep their free agents.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
J. Staley---M. Iupati---J. Goodwin---A. Snyder---A. Davis

Looks good to me!

Can't see another scenario unless they add someone. If Rachal takes a leap this year and earns a starting position fine, but I doubt it.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Quote:

Looks good to me!

A. Davis still has a lot to prove for being a high first rounder last year. He's still questionable to me, but I hope he improves.

Agreed. I think having Snyder next to him with a Veteran C will help out Davis this year.
Originally posted by Amir:
Quote:

Looks good to me!

A. Davis still has a lot to prove for being a high first rounder last year. He's still questionable to me, but I hope he improves.

Agreed. I think having Snyder next to him with a Veteran C will help out Davis this year.

Yep, since Snyder has played 4 out of 5 positions along the line, Davis finally has someone to lean on for guidance during a game.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 5280High:
Quote:

Looks good to me!

Yep, since Snyder has played 4 out of 5 positions along the line, Davis finally has someone to lean on for guidance during a game.

btw, nice pwnage on maddog yesterday.
Quote:

Looks good to me!

we all know that once rachel was moved out of the starting lineup and snyder took his place the right side was so much better, the best player will win unlike last yr when sindletary stuck with rachel no matter how bad he was

Sorry, but reality sucks. The Baalke-York combination set the bar so low for achievement that I think many are thrilled to pick up these guys. However, it doesn't get them off the hook for their complete incompetence.

Let's say I took everyone on the Webzone back to the day before free agency opened and stated that we would lose six starters (Baas, Clements, Spikes, Lawson, Franklin, Goldson) and would pick up Madieu Williams, Carlos Rogers, and Jonathan Goodwin. Be honest, people, you would throw a complete and utter fit.

And yet, many board members are acting as if this free agency has been a remarkable success. The Yorks have duped fans again and expect us to "be patient", and believe they have a "plan". Do any on the board believe the plan was to get anything that looks like Williams, Rogers, and Goodwin?

The spate of posts ignoring MD's point goes to prove his point. Most of you would have been upset with the loss of six starters replaced by three.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

The spate of posts ignoring MD's point goes to prove his point. Most of you would have been upset with the loss of six starters replaced by three.

maddog, is that you?

Back to what you said. Not if those six starters weren't really all that good. I mentioned yesterday, that only Baas got a good contract in the first day of FA. Everyone else was never really sought after and got sh!tty or 1 year contracts. So the Niners weren't the only team that didn't value or FA's.
Best signing in FA so far: K Akers. We needed a reliable kicker and we got a good one!

2nd best FA signing: C Goodwin. We needed a center for more than just a year and we got him!

Now, Snyder can play primary back up to all OL positions, I doubt he'll be a starter.
Quote:

Looks good to me!

btw, nice pwnage on maddog yesterday.

Thanks, but no need to rehash that . Just happy the zone has calmed down a bit and we can get back to talking about football!

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

But thats not the case. Each starter we lost has been replaced though. Bowman replaces Spikes, Sopoaga replaces Franklin and Aldon replaces Manny. Its not yet a given that Goldson is even gone. So sure Sopoaga is a bit of a drop off from Franklin, but I'm sure he'll manage. We still might bring back Goldson and that'll add depth to the safety spot with the signing of Williams.
Go ahead and say I got duped by the Yorks and Baalke, I really dont care. I'm not one to say that the sky is falling, when it isn't. I trust this new coaching staff will make us a better team than the last few years. So say the Niners end up having a great season, am I gonna jump in people's face and say look the Yorks are awesome? Heck no, I still have my reservations about them. I'm still mad that they're moving the stadium out of the city, but whatever, who cares. Just give me a winning season. Go Niners!!
somebody is just mad about heitmann being hurt again
Originally posted by DoctorFeelGd:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
MadDog one question where does manny Lawson fit?
Aldon Smith was drafted to take over his job. manny has failed as a passrusher, year in and year out, he even was leving the field in obvious passing situations.

The other question if you were a big name player comming out of a s**tty pretender team, would you want to sign for a tema that has been the same s**tty pretender and loser for the last 8 years?

or would you sign with a team that goes every to the playoffs?

Agreed on re: Aldon/Manny. Manny was never a fit in the 3-4 because the foundation of the 3-4 is the ability from your OLB's to apply pressure to the QB. He was able to start in Manusky's defense because Manusky was a cowardly, ball-less hack that tried turning the 3-4 into an amoeba zone dropping his backers into coverage constantly.

Fangio understands the value of a passrush, decided Manny is a better fit somewhere else in a 4-3, and we are going to start the beast pass rusher from day 1 and it's an immediate upgrade.

If you have no pass rushers you then have to get a bunch of guys back in coverage. What is the alternative?

Manusky understands the value of a pass rush. Every tough fan stuck to his couch, firing off insults about other people being cowards knows that. Manusky was well-regarded coming in and was class going out, so it is doubtful that he was a hack.

Don't forget that he worked under SingleCell. We do not know what constraints he was under. I believe he worked his magic on defense as well as offense. He may have well put players in positions where they couldn't succeed and so the the coaches couldn't either.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
wow...wow
I went on the fans forum for the Saints and they said that Goodwin is just an above average center with only 1-2 years left. They implied he was greatly helped by the 2 awesome guards on each side of him. (He wasn't even a starter during his first 6 seasons in the NFL.)

I wonder if he is about the same as Baas.?. I'm still happy we got him because he's better than Snyder, Wragge, and Beeler.....at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone