There are 170 users in the forums

Niners Sign C Goodwin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
haha MadDog got pwned!!!!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Back on track. Goodwin was the starting C for a high powered offense and a superbowl winning team of 2 years ago? Yeah I'll take that
  • g60nx
  • Veteran
Irrelevant but if you have to choose a gm. Who would you go with.. Baalke or maddog ... I like baalke's move so far to be honest
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Back on track. Goodwin was the starting C for a high powered offense and a superbowl winning team of 2 years ago? Yeah I'll take that

Back-to-back 2009/2010 Pro Bowler.
Quote:
J. Staley---M. Iupati---J. Goodwin---A. Snyder---A. Davis

Looks good to me!
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It is a good pickup for the Niners, but not for the reason some are saying. Goodwin is on the down side of his career, and will be 33 mid-way through the 2011 season. The Saints have moved on to a younger player, and Goodwin did not generate much interest in free agency. Free agent centers like Baas, Spencer, Sendlein and many others were signed by teams long before Goodwin. The reason? He's about done. Can the Niners get two good years out of him? Maybe, maybe not. Put him in the Olin Kreutz catagory, older guy with possibly a couple years left in the tank.

Just a couple days ago you were clamoring for us to sign Kruetz, saying that it was the obvious move. Now Kreutz is someone who is almost done, and then you compare Goodwin to him. You totally flip flop on this, all for the sake of putting a negative spin on everything. You were wrong about Baalke in the Harbaugh drama, you were wrong about Baalke's ability to perform competently in free agency and you will likely continue to put a negative spin on every move Baalke makes in the future simply because you are unwilling to accept the fact that your analysis isn't right all the time.

dayum...someone just got straight OWND

(typical MadDog)
Quote:
ESPN Expert's Take

Goodwin has done a good job anchoring what has become the strength of the Saints' offensive line. He has good size with natural leverage that allows him to get under opponent's pads and work the blocks. He has good initial quickness. He can slide and shuffle in a limited area but can struggle when having to extend himself in pass protection. He has an aggressive temperament that helps him finish his blocks.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

But Noooooo Baas is better and and we need to pay him top 5 money - that's just how it is right?

Incredible that we replaced someone who's never been healthy until last season with a durable pro bowler and Baalke gets no props for that by the naysayers.

Its because he's "good", but not "awesome".
Originally posted by NinerGM:

But Noooooo Baas is better and and we need to pay him top 5 money - that's just how it is right?

Incredible that we replaced someone who's never been healthy until last season with a durable pro bowler and Baalke gets no props for that by the naysayers.

Also don't forget the contract. We signed Goodwin for less money than Baas got. IMO...looks like the FO did a good job with this signing.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:

Looks good to me!

I like that line. And when you get the line right, good things start to happen.

Originally posted by English:
Quote:

Looks good to me!

I like that line. And when you get the line right, good things start to happen.

I like the potential with this line. Hopefully A.Smith or Kap can do something with it.
MadDog one question where does manny Lawson fit?
Aldon Smith was drafted to take over his job. manny has failed as a passrusher, year in and year out, he even was leving the field in obvious passing situations.

The other question if you were a big name player comming out of a s**tty pretender team, would you want to sign for a tema that has been the same s**tty pretender and loser for the last 8 years?

or would you sign with a team that goes every to the playoffs?
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Aldon Smith was drafted to take over his job. manny has failed as a passrusher, year in and year out, he even was leving the field in obvious passing situations.

The other question if you were a big name player comming out of a s**tty pretender team, would you want to sign for a tema that has been the same s**tty pretender and loser for the last 8 years?

Agreed on re: Aldon/Manny. Manny was never a fit in the 3-4 because the foundation of the 3-4 is the ability from your OLB's to apply pressure to the QB. He was able to start in Manusky's defense because Manusky was a cowardly, ball-less hack that tried turning the 3-4 into an amoeba zone dropping his backers into coverage constantly.

Fangio understands the value of a passrush, decided Manny is a better fit somewhere else in a 4-3, and we are going to start the beast pass rusher from day 1 and it's an immediate upgrade.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DoctorFeelGd:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Agreed on re: Aldon/Manny. Manny was never a fit in the 3-4 because the foundation of the 3-4 is the ability from your OLB's to apply pressure to the QB. He was able to start in Manusky's defense because Manusky was a cowardly, ball-less hack that tried turning the 3-4 into an amoeba zone dropping his backers into coverage constantly.

Fangio understands the value of a passrush, decided Manny is a better fit somewhere else in a 4-3, and we are going to start the beast pass rusher from day 1 and it's an immediate upgrade.

I think I like you. Don't get banned.
Quote:

Looks good to me!

A. Davis still has a lot to prove for being a high first rounder last year. He's still questionable to me, but I hope he improves.
Share 49ersWebzone