LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

49ers 30 million under cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Franklin & Goldson are probably gonna fill most of that gap, and other money will go to surprise cuts signed after TC.

They are not going to spend $30 million. Not even close. I'd be pissed if I was Frank Gore.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Be patient. They have a "plan"...to not spend any money.

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy we weren't able to sign him for that salary, especially with the massive cap room.

P.S. The apologists for the owners and GM on this board are starting to make me ill. Some are stating, "nobody wants to come here". False: Arizona and Seattle are signing a ton of quality players that will upgrade their team. Umenyiora stated yesterday that he would like a move to Seattle. It is a lame-brain excuse.

Others are stating, "let's let the coach figure out who is good." Silly. Each team has tape and scouts. If you don't know who is good or not good, you should drive 16-wheel trucks instead.

It really comes down to a commitment to win. And, the team is showing this season... that they really aren't hungry to win.

Apologists should be sick to their stomachs that the franchise of Walsh, DeBartolo, Policy, Montana, Rice, and Lott is a bottom-barrell team, instead of defending management relentlessly as if they are related.

Still waiting for Jed to emerge to say that we will make the playoffs. He would be ridiculed from coast to coast.

We have become a "loser" franchise. Congrats, apologists. Now, back to supporting the great Trent Baalke and Jed York.

"Apologists"? Like, no one can have a different opinion from you without copping a stupid title? Usual webzone hysteria.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Amir:

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy they didn't offer that much to have him stay.

Dude, you even said yourself that Manny is not suited for a 3-4. So why do you now all of a sudden want him to stay?

I never said that. I said he is best utilized in a 4-3 defense. He is still better than Haralson, Brooks, Applewhite, and Briggs. He just isn't a star in the 3-4.

However, at $3 million, he is a bargain.

The Niners obviously made it clear that he wasn't in their plans. So, was he supposed to crawl back to the great one, Trent Baalke, and beg for a contract, as some would say?

Well we don't know if we did offer him that much money. Maybe he just wanted out. Can't blame Baalke yet without knowing all the facts.
Originally posted by English:

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy we weren't able to sign him for that salary, especially with the massive cap room.

P.S. The apologists for the owners and GM on this board are starting to make me ill. Some are stating, "nobody wants to come here". False: Arizona and Seattle are signing a ton of quality players that will upgrade their team. Umenyiora stated yesterday that he would like a move to Seattle. It is a lame-brain excuse.

Others are stating, "let's let the coach figure out who is good." Silly. Each team has tape and scouts. If you don't know who is good or not good, you should drive 16-wheel trucks instead.

It really comes down to a commitment to win. And, the team is showing this season... that they really aren't hungry to win.

Apologists should be sick to their stomachs that the franchise of Walsh, DeBartolo, Policy, Montana, Rice, and Lott is a bottom-barrell team, instead of defending management relentlessly as if they are related.

Still waiting for Jed to emerge to say that we will make the playoffs. He would be ridiculed from coast to coast.

We have become a "loser" franchise. Congrats, apologists. Now, back to supporting the great Trent Baalke and Jed York.

"Apologists"? Like, no one can have a different opinion from you without copping a stupid title? Usual webzone hysteria.

Dude, you even said yourself that Manny is not suited for a 3-4. So why do you now all of a sudden want him to stay?

I never said that. I said he is best utilized in a 4-3 defense. He is still better than Haralson, Brooks, Applewhite, and Briggs. He just isn't a star in the 3-4.

The Niners obviously made it clear that he wasn't in their plans. So, was he supposed to crawl back to the great one, Trent Baalke, and beg for a contract, as some would say?

Well we don't know if we did offer him that much money. Maybe he just wanted out. Can't blame Baalke yet without knowing all the facts.

Yes, you can. You make people want to stay.
Here's two FAs that could help us - if only we would be willing to splash the cash: Malcom Floyd and Carlos Rogers.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Franklin & Goldson are probably gonna fill most of that gap, and other money will go to surprise cuts signed after TC.

$30 Million? For Franklin and Goldson??? Are you serious?

Jeez MD, normally I like reading your posts because they are thought-provoking blurbs on the state of the franchise. Recently though, it seems as if you have taken a "I hate the Yorks" approach that SanDiego49er has emphasized for years.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by English:

Differing opinions are fine. But, basing your argument on:
1) "nobody wants to come here because we are not a contender" is simply not true. Nine of the top 20 free egents this offseason signed with teams who had losing records in 2010;
2) Plus, the biggest need this offseason was CB, and the team dropped one starter. The remaining guys in free agency are not as good as the guy you just released. How can you defend management?
3) Plus, we have $30 million to spend. The team does not appear to have any interest in spending any of it.

Go ahead and feel bad for Trent and Jed. It is...your opinion.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Maybe they don't value these FA's (our team and other teams) as much as we do here on the zone.

With the short off-season and A. Smith as a QB, maybe they realize it's better to implement the new scheme this year and go after FA's next year.

Originally posted by SJniner7:

Jeez MD, normally I like reading your posts because they are thought-provoking blurbs on the state of the franchise. Recently though, it seems as if you have taken a "I hate the Yorks" approach that SanDiego49er has emphasized for years.

Two reasons I am angry.

First, Jed trots out and says we make the playoffs last year. This offseason, there is no commitment to win. That has been seen in free agency.

Second, the amount of hand-wringing on behalf of Baalke on this board is a joke. Trent, do your job! If you can't handle it, move over. The "be patient", "we have a plan" is an insult.

Maybe they don't value these FA's (our team and other teams) as much as we do here on the zone.

With the short off-season and A. Smith as a QB, maybe they realize it's better to implement the new scheme this year and go after FA's next year.

It's pretty bad when your own FAs like Franklin come for a 'visit' and then don't get signed...it is also bad when you don't fill important positions with mid-level FAs...these guys are not even doing the minimum...we play in 10 days, so don't say 'be patient'...
Under the new CBA teams don't have to meet the cap requirement for two years. Its not a surprise the Yorks aren't spending a bunch of cash and being serious players in FA. Why is it a surprise were one of the teams with 20 or more million in cap room? Its not, and the suggestion by Baalke that Ninenr fans be patient is just another slap in the face.
Originally posted by drake49er:

Matt Barrows @
He was not happy with the 49ers front office; did not want to return to SF ... @hudd07 Can you believe we lost Lawson over 1 year deal?

He didn't want to be here...can't force people to sign.

Why do you think he was not happy with the 49ers front office? He was treated like garbage this whole offseason.

offseason??? wasn't there a lockout
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
This better not be a Dennis Erickson type of season, at least during that season we knew we didnt have the cap space to bring in any help ...but choosing to lose with a gang of cash at the teams disposal will not win over any fans

I think it's pretty safe to say that Harbaugh will be a better HC than Erickson ever was. Same as Baalke will be better than Donahue...but that's not saying much because 99% of the WZ members could've been better GMs than him (i.e. see Wilfork and R. Woods).

As for the $$$$ issue, I'd have to agree with you there.
Share 49ersWebzone