LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Nate Byham out for season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thought Harbaugh loved Dwalker?

Yeah but Harbaugh has a woody for TE's in general. Walker is a free agent next year, I don't expect the 49ers to make a massive push to bring him back, especially if some other team wants to pay him more than the 49ers deem his value is.

If they draft a TE this year, Delanie is done after next season unless he wants to come back for a reasonable amount and play the #3 TE, H-back, fullback, emergency WR....etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM ]
I think getting Byham back will be a nice addition to the offence, nice part is he doesn't even effect the cap.
Originally posted by travisdecpn:
I think getting Byham back will be a nice addition to the offence, nice part is he doesn't even effect the cap.

Looking forward to seeing Byham compete for a te position and backup fb.
I'm looking forward to seeing him back. He stood out to me a couple of times in 2010, that Monday night game against the Saints in particular with his blocking.
I guess we do need Fleener. LOL
  • dj43
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
I guess we do need Fleener. LOL

Byham was an upgrade from Billy Bajema. Nothing special, just a bit more mobile guy. He does not even come close to the pass catching skills of Fleener.

As to Walker, he has made some nice plays here and there but his greatest contribution was as an H-back/blocker. Byham can do the same job but for a lot less money. He will never do what Fleener can do, hence, he will be in play until he is no longer on the board.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm looking forward to seeing him back. He stood out to me a couple of times in 2010, that Monday night game against the Saints in particular with his blocking.

i found it interesting that Byham had the most catches and ypc in the 2010 pre-season .
Can we PLEASE change this title? Frickin' had a heart attack seeing this, lol!!!!!

Also, yes he is a TE, but he is a killer blocker and can rotate as a F-back who can both block/catch. If he's healthy, keep him and get rid of Peele
I'd be shocked if we don't draft Fleener in the second round. If anyone knows what this kid is capable of its Jim Harbaugh. And would be a nice red zone threat when they double team VD.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I'd be shocked if we don't draft Fleener in the second round. If anyone knows what this kid is capable of its Jim Harbaugh. And would be a nice red zone threat when they double team VD.

He won't last until the #60 pick. Most boards have him going between #28 and #35. If the 49ers really want him, they may be lucky if he is still there at #30. A lot of teams will try to channel what NE did with Gronkowski and Hernandez.

Originally posted by dj43:
He won't last until the #60 pick. Most boards have him going between #28 and #35. If the 49ers really want him, they may be lucky if he is still there at #30. A lot of teams will try to channel what NE did with Gronkowski and Hernandez.

I'd be okay with that if they signed a decent FA wide receiver. TEs usually are low risk/high reward and we know he can catch and score. So I say go for it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:

I'd be okay with that if they signed a decent FA wide receiver. TEs usually are low risk/high reward and we know he can catch and score. So I say go for it.

I doubt Baalke will spend the money for a top FA WR. Maybe Meachem (looks most likely to be available) would be the biggest deal if any. I expect the need for a fast wideout to be solved in round 3-5 as there are some real burners there although they are rather small.

This, lots of teams potentially in the running for TE's. The Broncos, the Giants are going to be looking for one, the Colts would LOVE to pair Fleener up with Luck, the Rams could use a tight-end target...etc.......
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Can we PLEASE change this title? Frickin' had a heart attack seeing this, lol!!!!!

Also, yes he is a TE, but he is a killer blocker and can rotate as a F-back who can both block/catch. If he's healthy, keep him and get rid of Peele

Peele was just a body last year to fill in for the injured Walker and Byham, I don't expect him to be back this year.
Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch
#49ers TE Nate Byham expects to participate fully in offseason workouts after missing '11 with torn ACL .

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply
Byham is arriving back in Bay Area today after spending month in Pittsburgh. His break from rehab, though, was brief: 1 1/2 days. #49ers
Share 49ersWebzone