LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 426 users in the forums

Ray Mcdonald Resigned

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Our defense is going to look A LOT different. I think it'll be a little more exciting but also somewhat frustrating. There's going to be some growing pains, IMO. But Ray Mac is a young player who has shown some real flashes and could be--COULD BE--a real monster as a pressure DE. Its a good signing, I think, that shows something of the direction Fangio will take this D in.

This...this is what we've been talking about; a HUGE philosophical shift to attacking the backfield rather than vanilla and letting things happen in front of us and not giving up the big play (in theory). We already know Smith will be an attacking RDE, now we have an attacking LDE and perhaps, our NT will be at, tacking gaps as well and collapsing the pocket (Sopoaga/Williams/RJF). Now you add true pass rushers on EVERY down in Brooks, Smith, LaBoy (possibly) and guys such as Gibson/Rowe and even Haralson off the bench...then you add a shut down CB, more speed with Bowman and resign Goldson add in Mays we are seeing a huge change in our defense, hopefully for the better!
Is anyone a little worried that our DLine is a little light for a 3-4 defense? I mean, Justin Smith is 285, Ray is 290, and only Soap comes in over 300 at 330. Usually 3-4 defenses are supposed to be averaging out to like 310-315...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Our defense is going to look A LOT different. I think it'll be a little more exciting but also somewhat frustrating. There's going to be some growing pains, IMO. But Ray Mac is a young player who has shown some real flashes and could be--COULD BE--a real monster as a pressure DE. Its a good signing, I think, that shows something of the direction Fangio will take this D in.

This...this is what we've been talking about; a HUGE philosophical shift to attacking the backfield rather than vanilla and letting things happen in front of us and not giving up the big play (in theory). We already know Smith will be an attacking RDE, now we have an attacking LDE and perhaps, our NT will be at, tacking gaps as well and collapsing the pocket (Sopoaga/Williams/RJF). Now you add true pass rushers on EVERY down in Brooks, Smith, LaBoy (possibly) and guys such as Gibson/Rowe and even Haralson off the bench...then you add a shut down CB, more speed with Bowman and resign Goldson add in Mays we are seeing a huge change in our defense, hopefully for the better!

I hope it works out. I have doubts, at least for this season. Our backfield is going to have problems even if we do make some signings there, and I worry about Soap at NT. Maybe Fangio and the way he runs his D will be the difference, but every time we've put Soap at NT it has been underwhelming.

still, its early, and I think Ray Mac, just a symbol of the direction the D is going in, is exciting. I'm expecting the D to not be very good overall this year though.
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Is anyone a little worried that our DLine is a little light for a 3-4 defense? I mean, Justin Smith is 285, Ray is 290, and only Soap comes in over 300 at 330. Usually 3-4 defenses are supposed to be averaging out to like 310-315...

Not worried, you answered your own question... Justin Smith is the lightest yet he is one of the best 3-4 ends in the game.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:

Not worried, you answered your own question... Justin Smith is the lightest yet he is one of the best 3-4 ends in the game.

is it possible that that only worked because Franklin was 320 pounds and soap was 330 at the other end, meaning it gave him a chance to be more of a pass rush player. now that everyone is a bit lighter, we are more susceptible to the run.

I hope it works out. I have doubts, at least for this season. Our backfield is going to have problems even if we do make some signings there, and I worry about Soap at NT. Maybe Fangio and the way he runs his D will be the difference, but every time we've put Soap at NT it has been underwhelming.

still, its early, and I think Ray Mac, just a symbol of the direction the D is going in, is exciting. I'm expecting the D to not be very good overall this year though.

Valid concerns. I actually was very encouraged by Sopoaga's growth at LDE but felt he was asked to focus more on holding the LOS for Lawson and others rather than attacking. When I did see him attack, he got a sack. He's bigger and stronger than Franklin and he is put in more of a one-gap attack mode, I think he will be much more successful at NT this second time around; he was a recovering (injured) player and was asked to play two-gap when he originally started at NT and was new to the 3-4. This time around plus the push from RJF & Williams, I expect him to play quite well.

Well, a focus on and a regular and consistent pass rush will make any secondary x10 better no matter who is back there. Nolan did it backwards and spent big $ on CB's and that didn't pan out, did it? I think Baalke/Fangio will do it correctly this time. We'll be behind the 8-ball for most of 2011 but by the end, we should be seeing some real progress and having our work cut out for us for 2012!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Franklin >>> McDonald

They better not have over paid this guy!

Of all the news coming out about possible signings, nothing, no rumours have been said about Franklin. That may change-but right now it is good news, as his signing price may be lower.

Very true. I hope that the market that he envisioned is not there and he is forced to re-sign with us. Everyone was thinking the Redskins would take him for sure, but they already got their NT.

*fingers crossed*

Chiefs will sign him.

Que la boca se te haga chicharron!

Valid concerns. I actually was very encouraged by Sopoaga's growth at LDE but felt he was asked to focus more on holding the LOS for Lawson and others rather than attacking. When I did see him attack, he got a sack. He's bigger and stronger than Franklin and he is put in more of a one-gap attack mode, I think he will be much more successful at NT this second time around; he was a recovering (injured) player and was asked to play two-gap when he originally started at NT and was new to the 3-4. This time around plus the push from RJF & Williams, I expect him to play quite well.

Well, a focus on and a regular and consistent pass rush will make any secondary x10 better no matter who is back there. Nolan did it backwards and spent big $ on CB's and that didn't pan out, did it? I think Baalke/Fangio will do it correctly this time. We'll be behind the 8-ball for most of 2011 but by the end, we should be seeing some real progress and having our work cut out for us for 2012!

good points, and a lot of it has to do with how the D is organized, plays are called, etc, which could make a huge difference in individual performance.

the bolded is the the truf, IMO. I'm expecting progress, not miracles, and while I think we can compete, I know that with a new coach and a f**ked up offseason, 2012 will be the bigger test.

good points, and a lot of it has to do with how the D is organized, plays are called, etc, which could make a huge difference in individual performance.

the bolded is the the truf, IMO. I'm expecting progress, not miracles, and while I think we can compete, I know that with a new coach and a f**ked up offseason, 2012 will be the bigger test.

Agreed!
LIKE A BOSS

• Envy
  • Veteran
Certainly developing into the player we all wished him to be.
  • g60nx
  • Veteran
the guy is a beast
This dude was a f**king monster in all instances of the game today, Fangio wanted this guy re-signed as a starter for a reason.
Ray Ray !!! The guy almost look like BY out there today.
he did a great job today. well deserving
Share 49ersWebzone