There are 126 users in the forums

Baalke could be right

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post - I agree. If we get Goodwin or Kreutz, move Snyder to Guard, pick up Floyd at WR and we come out better than average. We still need an enforcer Safety.

Yes!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post - I agree. If we get Goodwin or Kreutz, move Snyder to Guard, pick up Floyd at WR and we come out better than average. We still need an enforcer Safety.

Yes!

Mays could be the enforcer, Coach him up Donatell!
I have the feeling everyone that freaked out here is going to feel dumb within the next 24-48 hours. I think we get Goodwin at C and Floyd at WR and probably re-sign Goldson. If that happens I will be a very happy camper, I'd also like to see a 2-3 year deal done w/Gore. He deserves it, bottom line.
The only move I'm unhappy about is the one we didn't make (yet?) and that is to get another decent veteran QB, someone like Orton via trade or Vince Young. If Smith gets injured or starts sucking again then we're down to a rookie who really should be protected rather than thrown to the wolves.

Other than that, I think we're par for the course. We had known all along that Clements, Franklin and Lawson were gone before FA started. Baas had been a worry ever since he refused to extend last season and we were more hoping that he would stay. I wouldn't be surprised if Goldson also went, but I'm happy that we're still in the mix. We got 3 good years out of Spikes when we barely expected 1 when he signed. All told, none of these is a shocker, particularly since these chaps were part of an awful team and, frankly, part of a losing tradition. Although Harbaugh is denying it, we are "cleaning house" for the new regime. Whether we're "rebuilding" I'm not so sure. We're in good shape for the cap for years to come and we have 3-4 extremely good players to make a core for the future.

I would say that with the mid-level FAs we got, and expecting to add a half-decent center and WR to those, our talent level is there or thereabouts with last season's when we were supposed to have easily won the division. The only visible "new" hole I see is at NT, but we were fearing that ever since we had to tag Franklin. But everywhere else we're about the same. If we're anywhere near better managed we should be a better side.

As for the other teams in the division, Arizona has gone for the aggressive FA signings which may or may not pan out. The Rams are doing the right thing and building steadily. And I'm not at all convinced about Seattle.

Will we make the playoffs this season? It's a tall order - NOT because our overall talent level is much worse than last season, or because the other teams have got that much better. It's rather due to the usual two bugbears of the last decade: (a) no proper starting QB and (b) yet another new coaching staff/offensive playbook. So no, I don't believe we can be better than .500. I do hope we start creating a positive buzz like, say, last season's Lions (did I just suggest the Lions as an example to be followed?! ): win some convincingly, lose bravely to the top teams of the league, avoid blowouts. Get a bit of confidence, so that with a good draft we can be a real playoff contender NEXT season.
Originally posted by hklar17:
the zone tends to panic at times

Not in Niner Talk. We're all even keel here.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

True.
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

True.

Totally.
Abig part of free agency that people dont understand is that the player has to want to play for us........until we start winning, player wont want to play for us......nomatter how much we pay them......
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adacosta24:
Maybe we overpaid for Clements, but theres no way you can say that Carlos Rogers is an upgrade for Clements, look at his stats he is a mediocre corner at best, he is an upgrade at our #2 DB slot not for our #1, but I guess thats just a position we will have to address in next years draft

wrong... rogers has way more pd's, less times getting burnt. plus really what the hell did nate do positive for us last season... run stopper omg. best quality in a cb. lol nate would be benificial on the other side. but then again spencer has been our best cb for the last few years
Is there any Jonathan Goodwin news? I'm trying to find it!

Jerry Rice was a solid WR
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Maybe we overpaid for Clements, but theres no way you can say that Carlos Rogers is an upgrade for Clements, look at his stats he is a mediocre corner at best, he is an upgrade at our #2 DB slot not for our #1, but I guess thats just a position we will have to address in next years draft

wrong... rogers has way more pd's, less times getting burnt. plus really what the hell did nate do positive for us last season... run stopper omg. best quality in a cb. lol nate would be benificial on the other side. but then again spencer has been our best cb for the last few years

his stats say top five corner for a few years its just that int cat. he stays on recievers like glue buddy... u check the stats. what 48 pd's in 3 years... pretty damn good.

in 2009 redskins ranked 8th in passing defense. 2010 changed d. and d hill gets burnt left and right. so basically that stat proves my point
Originally posted by Jacka:
If the Niners can lock up Jonathon Goodwin (Espn's #1 rated FA center) Carlos Rodgers (one of the better CB's in FA at a reasonable price) and Goldson at a fair price it wil look liek Baalke knew what he was doing. They obviously feel better about our dline with Sopoaga at nose and McDonald at LDE. Also with Aldon SMith over Lawson.

Either way it makes sense to wait it out because FA's cant even practice until Thursday. I'd much rather go this route than just frantically throw money at mediocre FA's like most of the peoplke on this board would prefer.

Be careful with common sense people really hate that around here.
Originally posted by fan49:

LMAO Dude Rogers was toast all last season. Him and Hall when they werent injured were beat like drums. Its a reason why they were ranked 31st against the pass. They would have been 32nd if it wasnt for Cutler. Rogers cant tackle for s**t, he has a hard time locating the ball and when he does problems catching it. Spencer cant even hold Clements jock but he is better than Rogers n Brown. Youre talking down on the wrong players and you obviously know jack about the Skins defense problems.
if we can sign Goodwin for 2-3 years and Braylon for a couple I would be happy
Share 49ersWebzone