LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by dj43:
TC news to date shows that Harbaugh has a much better scheme for the offense that will actually give QBs some decent reads and options. In the latest fan observation the change in checkdown routes was noted. That will make a huge change in the effectiveness of whoever winds up at QB. The routes Nolan/Sing used were mostly throw aways that gained very little even when run well.

All good news so far....

I agree and it cracks me up that people criticize for checkdowns as that WAS the WCOs most potent weapon--the dink until they fall asleep concept, then down the field for a big gain. Now with the checkdowns being down field instead of RB behind the LOS it will be back where it belongs and the QBs will look much better. Great observation from poster!

that was a great thing to see too. i didnt know check downs were scripted, i thought the RB just went to an open spot to help the QB when hes in trouble. it shows even more how stupid sing and nolan were. why not make a check down actually go for positive yardage? harbaughs busted plays will amount to more yardage than singletary and nolans perfectly planned out master schemes lol. cant wait to see my niners in action!!!
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
TC news to date shows that Harbaugh has a much better scheme for the offense that will actually give QBs some decent reads and options. In the latest fan observation the change in checkdown routes was noted. That will make a huge change in the effectiveness of whoever winds up at QB. The routes Nolan/Sing used were mostly throw aways that gained very little even when run well.

All good news so far....

I agree and it cracks me up that people criticize for checkdowns as that WAS the WCOs most potent weapon--the dink until they fall asleep concept, then down the field for a big gain. Now with the checkdowns being down field instead of RB behind the LOS it will be back where it belongs and the QBs will look much better. Great observation from poster!

that was a great thing to see too. i didnt know check downs were scripted, i thought the RB just went to an open spot to help the QB when hes in trouble. it shows even more how stupid sing and nolan were. why not make a check down actually go for positive yardage? harbaughs busted plays will amount to more yardage than singletary and nolans perfectly planned out master schemes lol. cant wait to see my niners in action!!!

In the WCO, the checkdown isn't really and "escape" throw. It's usually the 3rd or 4th option of a legitimate route that the QB must memorize. In last years offense, the checkdown would be in the same places EVERY play: predictable.
Originally posted by Joecool:

All good news so far....

In the WCO, the checkdown isn't really and "escape" throw. It's usually the 3rd or 4th option of a legitimate route that the QB must memorize. In last years offense, the checkdown would be in the same places EVERY play: predictable.

thanks for clarifying. i always thought it was a freelance play by the RB after he finished his blocking duties and saw his QB was in trouble.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
I think it'll be alright in here.

The main problem I wonder is if we can ever let go of the past. There's a very thin line between remembering greatness, and what we've had for the past 8 years.

When i started in here, i used to get sick of our current team being compared to the team of 5 super bowl rings. Every win or loss we'd be like that wouldnt happen with Mooch, or Young, or Montana, etc. It seems like we finally have managed to just get over that, while at the same time, never forgetting what a winning team and/ or season feels like.

I made this thread just like the guy said above its the Era of Harbaugh competition, and although this is just training camp, some are still failing to see, even if just a glitch of the greatness that we MAY taste again.

Tell me how long its been guys, since we felt this excited, and emotional, and on the edge of our seats, just to hear a word, read a detail, or get a glimpse at our current team under Harbaugh. Not since T.O. and Mooch left for me anyways.

We need to let go of not just Alex, but the entire team of the past. If there is one thing we can agree on, it should be that, this is not the same team that totally seemed lost since 2002. We have a damn good reason to be optimistic, and although some still cant let go of their individual bias's for some reason, i say for the sake of the team we should all be able to support the current regime.

About 95 percent of us admittingly or not, was ready to blow up the FO for their horrendous job of waiting as Baalke said. Now we have a post started saying something to the effect of is this the best free agent class in a long time. We have our big names that some wanted, and although they may not be lights out, everyone we added seems to bring sumthing better than the guy they replaced.

Smith only back for a year, a true No.1 receiver, one of the best if not the best line backer, and TE in the league. And the other main thing, We finally drafted a young Qb, who we can all agree seems to have that *it* factor that many of us said has been lacking. He was taken in the 2nd round for a reason, and how reassuring is it to know that we finally have a coach that knows how to bring the best out in him, all while fine tuning his current skillset.

This is the new Era of Coaching for us, someone who pays attention to detail, someone who knows how to coach to a players strength, and above all someone who's not afraid to go against the grain, and can adjust playcalling at the drop of a dime if need be. (Still dont know if it will translate to the NFL just yet, but we'll find out next week right)

So fellas, like a certain player or not, this is about the QB competition, the real competition, and it's very comfortable in knowing that if kap doesnt start this year, that its not because of some gimmick, but because coach feels he wants him to be great when he takes the reigns, not just average. And if coach feels that he should start for some reason or another, then so be it, and the Kap era will begin.

Lets just look at all the competition, the coaches, and the players without rose colored glasses, and without holding on to past experiences. If we can do that, please believe we will be no longer one of the laughing stock fan bases, that we currently are.

WE all agree lets go niners. Well i say LETS GO FANS, and lets support our team like we all can, and have, TOGETHER in the past. We are a part of the organization as well, and when we can be a driving force, just like in a lot of our road games, DAMN!, just wonder how much we could achieve as a whole, and help our team succeed.

I'm sure we will let go of the past when we put up a winning season.

I stated the other day I don't like Alex Smith the QB however I will support him because that is the 49er fan in me. This thing about "let's support the team" stuff. Who isn't doing that? I'm sure the posters that come to this website are true 49er fans so I don't understand the support the team statement.

Now there are going to be 49er fans that don't like Alex Smith but are hoping he will turn it around for the sake of the team! There are other players on this team that fans do not like. There are fans that have their favorite players. These are the reasons they are Niner fans bottom line regardless of bias.

The positive or negative comments about a player (Alex) shouldn’t bring into question a fans loyalty to his team or have any effect on that fans view on that player. All of us will not agree on every aspect of this team. (This is for both extremist in the Alex debate).

So don’t make blanket statements that we are “One of the laughing stock fans in the NFL” because fans are tired of Alex Smith! Other team fans say otherwise because we keep giving him chances. So what! Look at like this if Alex doesn’t work out that means we will most likely have a losing season and fans will boo and be upset! If he is successful, most likely we’re successful and fans will cheer and be excited… simple!

As far as Harbaugh’s QB competition? There isn’t one just like every other year. Alex Smith is going to be the starter barring injury. Go NINERS!

Wow just wow, id rather u had not even commented, bruh. No where in that statment did i say laughing stock because of Alex Smith. And thats what im talkin bout. You see what u wanted to see out of all that. I also pointed out, how many of us were ready to kill the F/O for not doing what some thought they should, then when they did, we were happy as hell. Take the issue with Crabs, some are saying bust, and for another team, and some are like give the guy a chance.

All that i wrote was towards those fans that make it about one player, and one player only, whether Smith, Crabs, or anyone else on the team, and if u fall into that category then so be it.

If you read before i posted this original comment, this was turning into a just about alex smith thread, and thats not why this post was made. it was made to discuss Alex, and Kap, and our no 3 qb, and how they are looking (now 2011). Not how alex did in the past with this, or kap did in college, or anything else. Its about the 2011 harbaugh qb competition, and if it serves me correctly, this is his first year, so i could care less how he looked with dingleberry, or Nolan as our HC.

Obviously u took offense to something i guess, which is why everything u wrote just reverted about Smith, just proved exactly what i was talking about. I'll give u a good example, witout saying any names a zoner wrote that Kap will start sooner than later, and that when he went to practice he saw Smith looked horrible. many fans wrote back and said that well even tho u feel like that, we have about 99% of others that felt the opposite way, including reporters, columnists, and papers alike, so who was right, and who was wrong.

This post once again was saying debate, talk about the positives and negatives. Who did this and who did that, but this year, not years before. As far as im concerned the whole team is new, and the production they had in seasons end is erased in my eyes. Does this mindset go for everyone out there, hell nah, which is why we have the zone.

But like i said my parents taught me, u cant ever do anything to change how a person thinks, and people just read this post, or didnt, and moved on, but u felt the need to write all u did, and just focus on smith for about 90% of your response.

Also, i mean seriously u act like none of our fanbase is bias in any way to the point in which their entire judgement on any player, coach, or team aspect is clouded completely by the past. Some of us were even worried that any moment, during TC that there were gonna be boos, and such, and there were not (all stemming from the past). I should of said laughing stock as an entire organization in the past, and as i said at the end of my post when talking about the positives, that we are also apart of the organization.

I said whether with Smith, or Crabs, or Davis, or Gore, lets focus on now. And once again this thread is about The Harbaugh Era QB competition only. Anything else, and someone can just start another thread about the past this or that, or past competitions, or TC's.

We can go back and forth brotha, but ill end it here and maybe we can agree on one thing if at all..... Go Niners!

Let’s be real for a second this is an Alex Smith thread! You would not have started this thread if it had nothing to do Alex Smith! So yes I’m talking about Smith and pointing out that “BIAS” has nothing to do with it! Your bias comment toward one player? You mean Alex Smith! So let’s get that straight.

Some fans are against Alex because of his past performances as a whole. Some are with him because of the circumstances that surrounded him. Some see the glass half full some see half empty. Some reporters and columnists feel he will turn it around, some feel he is what he is! The point is it doesn’t matter either way! The only way for fans to change their views of him is after this season one way or another so until then you will get this division among FANS!

No other hate or love for any other player on this team will bring out questions about fan support and where their loyalties are. For example your fans support speech pops up in an Alex thread (Oh yes this is an Alex thread you created). I don’t see this in any Crabtree, Chilo, or Harlason threads. I assume you could care less or comment about other fans opinions on those players! Or you could not like these players yourself!

The point is different opinions and different views doesn’t mean there is or is not any fan support! I understand it’s your opinion and you have a right to that but don’t think I will not comment on a statement regarding the fan base. I’m sure anti-Smith fans accept he will be the starter and still will support the team just like pro-Smith fans would! However a Smith supporter like yourself have to accept that fans are still supporting this team regardless if they are an Alex Smith “Hater.”

By the way to stay on topic there is no Harbaugh era QB competition. At least not this year.
what competition?

The main problem I wonder is if we can ever let go of the past. There's a very thin line between remembering greatness, and what we've had for the past 8 years.

When i started in here, i used to get sick of our current team being compared to the team of 5 super bowl rings. Every win or loss we'd be like that wouldnt happen with Mooch, or Young, or Montana, etc. It seems like we finally have managed to just get over that, while at the same time, never forgetting what a winning team and/ or season feels like.

I made this thread just like the guy said above its the Era of Harbaugh competition, and although this is just training camp, some are still failing to see, even if just a glitch of the greatness that we MAY taste again.

Tell me how long its been guys, since we felt this excited, and emotional, and on the edge of our seats, just to hear a word, read a detail, or get a glimpse at our current team under Harbaugh. Not since T.O. and Mooch left for me anyways.

We need to let go of not just Alex, but the entire team of the past. If there is one thing we can agree on, it should be that, this is not the same team that totally seemed lost since 2002. We have a damn good reason to be optimistic, and although some still cant let go of their individual bias's for some reason, i say for the sake of the team we should all be able to support the current regime.

About 95 percent of us admittingly or not, was ready to blow up the FO for their horrendous job of waiting as Baalke said. Now we have a post started saying something to the effect of is this the best free agent class in a long time. We have our big names that some wanted, and although they may not be lights out, everyone we added seems to bring sumthing better than the guy they replaced.

Smith only back for a year, a true No.1 receiver, one of the best if not the best line backer, and TE in the league. And the other main thing, We finally drafted a young Qb, who we can all agree seems to have that *it* factor that many of us said has been lacking. He was taken in the 2nd round for a reason, and how reassuring is it to know that we finally have a coach that knows how to bring the best out in him, all while fine tuning his current skillset.

This is the new Era of Coaching for us, someone who pays attention to detail, someone who knows how to coach to a players strength, and above all someone who's not afraid to go against the grain, and can adjust playcalling at the drop of a dime if need be. (Still dont know if it will translate to the NFL just yet, but we'll find out next week right)

So fellas, like a certain player or not, this is about the QB competition, the real competition, and it's very comfortable in knowing that if kap doesnt start this year, that its not because of some gimmick, but because coach feels he wants him to be great when he takes the reigns, not just average. And if coach feels that he should start for some reason or another, then so be it, and the Kap era will begin.

Lets just look at all the competition, the coaches, and the players without rose colored glasses, and without holding on to past experiences. If we can do that, please believe we will be no longer one of the laughing stock fan bases, that we currently are.

WE all agree lets go niners. Well i say LETS GO FANS, and lets support our team like we all can, and have, TOGETHER in the past. We are a part of the organization as well, and when we can be a driving force, just like in a lot of our road games, DAMN!, just wonder how much we could achieve as a whole, and help our team succeed.

I stated the other day I don't like Alex Smith the QB however I will support him because that is the 49er fan in me. This thing about "let's support the team" stuff. Who isn't doing that? I'm sure the posters that come to this website are true 49er fans so I don't understand the support the team statement.

Now there are going to be 49er fans that don't like Alex Smith but are hoping he will turn it around for the sake of the team! There are other players on this team that fans do not like. There are fans that have their favorite players. These are the reasons they are Niner fans bottom line regardless of bias.

The positive or negative comments about a player (Alex) shouldn’t bring into question a fans loyalty to his team or have any effect on that fans view on that player. All of us will not agree on every aspect of this team. (This is for both extremist in the Alex debate).

So don’t make blanket statements that we are “One of the laughing stock fans in the NFL” because fans are tired of Alex Smith! Other team fans say otherwise because we keep giving him chances. So what! Look at like this if Alex doesn’t work out that means we will most likely have a losing season and fans will boo and be upset! If he is successful, most likely we’re successful and fans will cheer and be excited… simple!

As far as Harbaugh’s QB competition? There isn’t one just like every other year. Alex Smith is going to be the starter barring injury. Go NINERS!

Wow just wow, id rather u had not even commented, bruh. No where in that statment did i say laughing stock because of Alex Smith. And thats what im talkin bout. You see what u wanted to see out of all that. I also pointed out, how many of us were ready to kill the F/O for not doing what some thought they should, then when they did, we were happy as hell. Take the issue with Crabs, some are saying bust, and for another team, and some are like give the guy a chance.

All that i wrote was towards those fans that make it about one player, and one player only, whether Smith, Crabs, or anyone else on the team, and if u fall into that category then so be it.

If you read before i posted this original comment, this was turning into a just about alex smith thread, and thats not why this post was made. it was made to discuss Alex, and Kap, and our no 3 qb, and how they are looking (now 2011). Not how alex did in the past with this, or kap did in college, or anything else. Its about the 2011 harbaugh qb competition, and if it serves me correctly, this is his first year, so i could care less how he looked with dingleberry, or Nolan as our HC.

Obviously u took offense to something i guess, which is why everything u wrote just reverted about Smith, just proved exactly what i was talking about. I'll give u a good example, witout saying any names a zoner wrote that Kap will start sooner than later, and that when he went to practice he saw Smith looked horrible. many fans wrote back and said that well even tho u feel like that, we have about 99% of others that felt the opposite way, including reporters, columnists, and papers alike, so who was right, and who was wrong.

This post once again was saying debate, talk about the positives and negatives. Who did this and who did that, but this year, not years before. As far as im concerned the whole team is new, and the production they had in seasons end is erased in my eyes. Does this mindset go for everyone out there, hell nah, which is why we have the zone.

But like i said my parents taught me, u cant ever do anything to change how a person thinks, and people just read this post, or didnt, and moved on, but u felt the need to write all u did, and just focus on smith for about 90% of your response.

Also, i mean seriously u act like none of our fanbase is bias in any way to the point in which their entire judgement on any player, coach, or team aspect is clouded completely by the past. Some of us were even worried that any moment, during TC that there were gonna be boos, and such, and there were not (all stemming from the past). I should of said laughing stock as an entire organization in the past, and as i said at the end of my post when talking about the positives, that we are also apart of the organization.

I said whether with Smith, or Crabs, or Davis, or Gore, lets focus on now. And once again this thread is about The Harbaugh Era QB competition only. Anything else, and someone can just start another thread about the past this or that, or past competitions, or TC's.

We can go back and forth brotha, but ill end it here and maybe we can agree on one thing if at all..... Go Niners!

Let’s be real for a second this is an Alex Smith thread! You would not have started this thread if it had nothing to do Alex Smith! So yes I’m talking about Smith and pointing out that “BIAS” has nothing to do with it! Your bias comment toward one player? You mean Alex Smith! So let’s get that straight.

Some fans are against Alex because of his past performances as a whole. Some are with him because of the circumstances that surrounded him. Some see the glass half full some see half empty. Some reporters and columnists feel he will turn it around, some feel he is what he is! The point is it doesn’t matter either way! The only way for fans to change their views of him is after this season one way or another so until then you will get this division among FANS!

No other hate or love for any other player on this team will bring out questions about fan support and where their loyalties are. For example your fans support speech pops up in an Alex thread (Oh yes this is an Alex thread you created). I don’t see this in any Crabtree, Chilo, or Harlason threads. I assume you could care less or comment about other fans opinions on those players! Or you could not like these players yourself!

The point is different opinions and different views doesn’t mean there is or is not any fan support! I understand it’s your opinion and you have a right to that but don’t think I will not comment on a statement regarding the fan base. I’m sure anti-Smith fans accept he will be the starter and still will support the team just like pro-Smith fans would! However a Smith supporter like yourself have to accept that fans are still supporting this team regardless if they are an Alex Smith “Hater.”

By the way to stay on topic there is no Harbaugh era QB competition. At least not this year.

wrong dude. people dont hope chilo or harelson suck so they can lose games and be switched out. people would rather smith lose games and get pulled then actually pull for the QB of their team to be good and win games. but anyway. lets keep this thread about the competition. Smith vs Kap vs Masoli vs Bethel-Thompson is all we should see in this thread. or how Harbaugh is teaching these guys.

wrong dude. people dont hope chilo or harelson suck so they can lose games and be switched out. people would rather smith lose games and get pulled then actually pull for the QB of their team to be good and win games. but anyway. lets keep this thread about the competition. Smith vs Kap vs Masoli vs Bethel-Thompson is all we should see in this thread. or how Harbaugh is teaching these guys.

Whatever fam! I said what I had to say! Whoever feels that way why are we considering them fans in first place? Also I stated there is NO competition just to stay on topic.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Agree for the most part, but on many of these short routes it was a read at the LOS that both the QB and the RB/TE/WR had to recognize.

I was very critical of VD over the years because I assumed they still had those plays but he failed to adjust to the D. Then we find out they had one route called and no options to adjust to the D...how bizarre!

This year should see VD and/or Walker open on almost every play. Teams will have to have numerous cover guys in the game, which will open up the running game for Gore. So bleeping exciting!
You take what the defense gives you. Underneath routes are open for positive yards, why not take those high percentage passes? Great to hear that these check-downs will be far and away more useful than the slop Jimmy Raye wss coming up with.

No one seemed to mind that Shaun Hill was a check-down artist.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
You take what the defense gives you. Underneath routes are open for positive yards, why not take those high percentage passes? Great to hear that these check-downs will be far and away more useful than the slop Jimmy Raye wss coming up with.

Yes, the WCO is all about frustrating the DBs. Singletary said they weren't going to be cleaver and boy was that an understatement! When the DBs start coming up to cut off the dinks, the mid range opens up...and occasionally the long pass, though that was not used often. Interestingly, I seem to recall the long ball being used mostly in short yardage or first down. Deception and surprise!

Many people who have a problem with a certain QB will latch on to any other choice as if it's a valid option. Hill was one of those guys who was easy to like because of his leadership...even if his upside was non-existant.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Alex has a legit shot to succed for several reasons
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

Exactly. I expect Alex to finish the season with 100+ QB rating, anything less is a disappointment

didn't manning have like a 92 last year? lol

Yep... and Alex had a 91 down the stretch.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

Exactly. I expect Alex to finish the season with 100+ QB rating, anything less is a disappointment

wtf is this
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

wtf is this

its a little kid
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

wtf is this

its a little kid

Picking low hanging fruit
[ Edited by Oregon49erfan on Aug 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone