LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
Bayless is a moron. Kap is a 4 year starter an established passer. Lets not forget Vince Young was suppose to enter the draft as a WR before he won the national championship and his hype exploded.[/b]

You're thinking of Selvin Young, Vince was always a QB and battled Chance Mock for playing time before taking over cause of his athleticism.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
He will have a great year, he stopped doing that stupid eye brow thing when he talks.

3800 yards, 27 TD's, 12 INT's
Originally posted by Chief:
He will have a great year, he stopped doing that stupid eye brow thing when he talks.

Wow! I'll have to revise my optimism scale!
This thread rose from the dead
Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Die thread, DIE !!!!!!

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Die thread, DIE !!!!!!

Didn't know you could play Phantom of the Opera on a keyboard!

"Why have you brought me here?"
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by cutSmithNOW:
Isn't the original poster the same person that said that Alex Smith is better than Philip Rivers? Shows how much football knowledge he has...Alex Smith will ALWAYS suck.

It was someone else. But it was more like, "we need more then just Rivers to be good." This was right after i listed how Rivers lit it up despite being on a crappy offensive team.

Yet they didn't make the playoffs.

s**tty special teams.

I still won that argument.

I was responding to the many on here who believe that a QB can only be successful if he is on a good team.

As you stated, Chargers didn't make the playoffs because the team was crappy. YET, Rivers put up phenomenal stats and performed great.

I don't know what you were arguing.

You don't need an all pro MLB for a QB to look good but a decent OLine might be important. There have been many great QBs who never made it to the big game due to defense, but their numbers were good to great. Fouts comes to mind. On the other hand, I can't think of a QB who had great numbers with a line & WRs as limited as the 9ers were last year.

The more people criticize Smith the more I question their view of the 9ers offenses over the past six years. Are there things about Smith that are not developed? Sure! But looking at the coaching, WRs and OLine he played with I really don't see any QB excelling. I can see a QB being more vocal and demanding (ala Manning) though.

So, if Smith does well this year, and I don't care about the numbers as much as I care about the consistency improving game by game, he should earn a good extension. Obviously, that is only if Harbaugh believes in him.

You overlooked this whole post.

This whole post was about how Rivers had a phenomenal year even though his OL, WR, and RB, and TE were below average. Gates was injured, Jackson was suspended, Running game was off and the Oline was depleted.

So you don't have to think of a QB who had succes exelling despite bad WRs and a Oline. I just did that for you.

You can believe River's performance was all because of Norv Turner's brilliance if you want.

No, Rivers had a more stable line and better coaching, so I did not overlook the post. Trying to compare teams is difficult but you shouldn't assume something not in evidence. In no way am I trying to imply that Rivers would not make a difference, but he is only one part of a complicated situation. Perhaps, with the 9ers line, Rivers is sacked on the first play and both his legs are broken. Just supposing as you have done.

You say his line was below average but do not compare it with Rachal, two rookies, a new center, and a good RT who played only 9 games. This line was a disaster but played better toward the end of the year. You could make the argument that the QBs all played well given the lines performance. Or you can keep making ill-advised comparisons with lines from other teams.

I thought this thread was deleted haha..

Ok fine. Our whole team and coaches blow except for VD, Gore, Iupati, P.Willis, J.Smith, A. Lee and Alex Smith.
5 year, 110 million contract.

Alex has a legit shot to succed for several reasons
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line
Originally posted by goodthings19:
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

It's really the best chance he ever had. He has the best weapons ever too. Edwards, VD, Crabtree and Gore. He never had that before.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

It's really the best chance he ever had. He has the best weapons ever too. Edwards, VD, Crabtree and Gore. He never had that before.

Absolutely no reason for him to not do well this year. Not only does he have the players you mentioned, but he also will have D.Walker, Hunter, Dixon, Ronald Johnson and maybe even Ginn if he is allowed to go deep a few times a game.

Wishing Alex the best of luck this season.
Skip Bayless is a turd...unless something's his idea, he's against it. He obviously underestimates CK, Harbaugh and Roman. But, that's his loss...turds often lose sight of reality.
Regarding Rivers. San Diego had the number 1 offense and the number one defense and they still missed the playoffs. Statisically speaking there's .00000000000000001 chance of that ever happening again so I don't know how anyone can claim to winning that argument.

Here's what you need to know over the last 4 years 26 quarterbacks have had a 95 rating or above. 22 of those teams made the playoffs and none of those teams finished worse than 8-8. It's not impossible to miss the playoffs with a top 5 quarterback but statistically speaking you have to like your chances.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone