LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Otter:
Frankly though, I don't care who starts the argument. It takes two to tango, as the expression goes.

Well this says it all, and to be blunt, I think that's a horrible way to handle things. That's like having two small children that fight all the time. You know Jimmy is always throwing the first punch that starts the fights, but for you, that doesn't matter? You still blame Benji for fighting back and judge the two equally?

Really? If you want the problem stopped... truly want it stopped... you nip it at the bud.... Stop Jimmy's BS and you have no further problems.

That would be true if it was also true that it was always Jimmy starting the fight.

And we're talking about a subjective topic. If someone is of the opinion that Smith is a terrible QB, they are allowed to express their opinion. If you don't agree, and debate it fine. But at some point the two parties need to recognize no progress will be made and agree to disagree. And it shouldn't spill in to every thread. Also, little Jimmy is not physically hitting Benji here, they are simply disagreeing with the other person. Benji is culpable if he engages in a fruitless argument and allows it to carryover throughout the board.

There are no innocent parties here. Both sides of the debate have engaged in similar tactics, name calling and spamming. So both Benji and Jimmy have been bad actors.

That would be true if it was also true that it was always Jimmy starting the fight.

Wow.... there is no way you can ever sell that as honesty and truth. No way you could really believe that.

What possible post could you have read that suggested to you that a fight was wanted from someone on the pro-Alex side?
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Wow.... there is no way you can ever sell that as honesty and truth. No way you could really believe that.

What possible post could you have read that suggested to you that a fight was wanted from someone on the pro-Alex side?

your calling otter a liar? you trash people everytime you get the chance. thats really low. he has been fair to you even when you don't deserve it.
wtf is going on in this thread. it isn't this serious fellas
Not calling him a liar, exactly. I do wonder where he gets that particular notion though, and asked him to elaborate. Sounds like an odd, shading of the truth to me, but he said himself it is subjective. I just can't see where a pro-Alex fan has gone out of his way to incite... as he suggested. If there are such posts, I'd be curious to know how we could put a ratio on each side.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dj43:

If you truly believe all this team needs is Philip Rivers then I have lost a little respect for your credibility.

This offense needs a RG, a LT, a healthy LT, a TE that can read and adjust, WRs that can run good routes and get separation...and then we come to a defense that can't rush the passer or defend against the pass. Other than that, yes, this team could dominate.

Why lose credibility for me? Think about it for a second. Phillip Rivers was on a 9-7 team and had a phenomenal year. They missed the playoffs because the team sucked. DESPITE THE s**tTY TEAM EFFORT, Rivers was able to put up phenominal stats with his main WR gone most of the season, and his stud TE injured. Also, their OLINE was crap. If their TEAM was better, Rivers' QB play would have been worth a s**t. A.Smith barely puts up stats like this in his career...

Phillip Rivers 2010 Stats:

Comp: 65%
Yards: 4,710 (Smith has yet to hit 3,000 in any one season)
TD: 30 (Smith has 51 in 5 seasons. 6 including the injury season)
Int: 13 (Smith had 9 in the first 5 games)
Sacked: 38 (Bad OL this year but still able to produce)
Rating: 101.8 (Smith has yet to eclipse 85 in any given season)

So yeah. I do think the 49ers need Rivers. I think him and the 9ers would dominate the NFC west. I'll take his 30 tds and skills any day. Despite having no weapons on O for most of the year, and a bad Oline, he was able to produce and play well. His team went 9-7 because he willed them to some victories with sheer great QB play despite all the injuries, suspensions, and drama. And with no RB game to speak of.

So before you bash my cred, think about it.

With Rivers, the 9ers would be a force in the NFC for many years to come.

Hypothetically speaking, yes.

Some people truly don't understand that a great QB can make a lot of holes go away.

You really think a Brees or Rivers would struggle to get the ball to Crabs/Morgan/VD? You think the D would be as bad with all that newfound rest they'd get cuz the O can acutally move the ball?

I'm so sick of people downplaying the talent on this team.

Arizona went from SB contender to worst team in the league in 1 season cuz they lost their QB.

Exactly... Swap Alex Smith for any good to decent QB in the league and we are instantly better, not just at the QB position but as a team. Receivers would get the ball delivered on time with accuracy, the Oline wouldn't have to pass protect as long, the opponents defense wouldn't stack 8-9 guys in the box because they would have some respect for our QB/passing game, our RBs would thrive with a more balanced attack, and like you mentioned, our defense would get off the field for longer and get some much needed rest.

Alex Smith is one of the worst QBs in NFL history and the thought of him playing a 7th season as a 49er is a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if some journey man free agent comes in and beats him for the starting spot like usual.

Your knowledge of football history must be pretty weak if you think he is one of the worst ever. It is quite clear you have lost all objectivity if you honestly believe that.
The Cardinals lost more than just Warner before they fell apart... Also, Alex is not one of the worst in history, there are people like jamarcus russell Akeli smith, Cody Pickett, Ryan Leaf, Danny Wurfeul, Tim Tebow.. etc

Infact, I bet if Alex was on the Cardinals team last year, they make the playoffs and not the seahawks.

Wonder what those guys would look like if they got 6 years of time rather than 1, 2 or 3 years.

Also, how is Tim Tebow on the list? I don't really like Tebow, but in his limited time in the league, he's looked decent. A hell of a lot better than Alex did in his rookie season.

If you truly believe all this team needs is Philip Rivers then I have lost a little respect for your credibility.

This offense needs a RG, a LT, a healthy LT, a TE that can read and adjust, WRs that can run good routes and get separation...and then we come to a defense that can't rush the passer or defend against the pass. Other than that, yes, this team could dominate.

Why lose credibility for me? Think about it for a second. Phillip Rivers was on a 9-7 team and had a phenomenal year. They missed the playoffs because the team sucked. DESPITE THE s**tTY TEAM EFFORT, Rivers was able to put up phenominal stats with his main WR gone most of the season, and his stud TE injured. Also, their OLINE was crap. If their TEAM was better, Rivers' QB play would have been worth a s**t. A.Smith barely puts up stats like this in his career...

So yeah. I do think the 49ers need Rivers. I think him and the 9ers would dominate the NFC west. I'll take his 30 tds and skills any day. Despite having no weapons on O for most of the year, and a bad Oline, he was able to produce and play well. His team went 9-7 because he willed them to some victories with sheer great QB play despite all the injuries, suspensions, and drama. And with no RB game to speak of.

Some people truly don't understand that a great QB can make a lot of holes go away.

You really think a Brees or Rivers would struggle to get the ball to Crabs/Morgan/VD? You think the D would be as bad with all that newfound rest they'd get cuz the O can acutally move the ball?

Arizona went from SB contender to worst team in the league in 1 season cuz they lost their QB.

Exactly... Swap Alex Smith for any good to decent QB in the league and we are instantly better, not just at the QB position but as a team. Receivers would get the ball delivered on time with accuracy, the Oline wouldn't have to pass protect as long, the opponents defense wouldn't stack 8-9 guys in the box because they would have some respect for our QB/passing game, our RBs would thrive with a more balanced attack, and like you mentioned, our defense would get off the field for longer and get some much needed rest.

Alex Smith is one of the worst QBs in NFL history and the thought of him playing a 7th season as a 49er is a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if some journey man free agent comes in and beats him for the starting spot like usual.

Your knowledge of football history must be pretty weak if you think he is one of the worst ever. It is quite clear you have lost all objectivity if you honestly believe that.
The Cardinals lost more than just Warner before they fell apart... Also, Alex is not one of the worst in history, there are people like jamarcus russell Akeli smith, Cody Pickett, Ryan Leaf, Danny Wurfeul, Tim Tebow.. etc

Infact, I bet if Alex was on the Cardinals team last year, they make the playoffs and not the seahawks.

Wonder what those guys would look like if they got 6 years of time rather than 1, 2 or 3 years.
Also, how is Tim Tebow on the list? I don't really like Tebow, but in his limited time in the league, he's looked decent. A hell of a lot better than Alex did in his rookie season.

the Tebow part was sarcasm, or a failed attempt at a joke. As far as the bolded part goes, Alex was not as bad as any of those other QB's, it was clear they werent even good enough to be backups. That is probably my only guess at why The niners have an addiction to Smitty. (That and any of the other FA QB's out there, aren't really a huge upgrade, or could possibly be worse.)
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM ]
IMO the title should say "When Alex Smith has a great 2011"
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

I bet he will get booed hard in the first game before he even throws a pass, but will have a career day.

the Tebow part was sarcasm, or a failed attempt at a joke. As far as the bolded part goes, Alex was not as bad as any of those other QB's, it was clear they werent even good enough to be backups. That is probably my only guess at why The niners have an addiction to Smitty. (That and any of the other FA QB's out there, aren't really a huge upgrade, or could possibly be worse.)

Alex's stats in his first 2 seasons were very similar to Ryan Leaf's. Leaf was just a douchebag and his teammates hated him.

Cody Pickett? He was a 7th round pick...he doesn't qualify...the team invested nothing in him.

Akili Smith? His rookie season numbers were better than Alex's. Thing is, he was never a good prospect and Cincy cut their ties with him.

Wuerfel was a 4th round pick. He doesn't qualify.

Alex had one of the worst rookie seasons in recent memory. He got better in his 2nd year and slightly improved every year after that.

But, if he wasn't a 1st pick and the Yorks weren't cheapskates, he would have either been cut or replaced with another QB of the future after his 2nd/3rd year and he'd be mentioned in the same sentence as Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus.

He's lucky as hell that the franchise stuck with him, because no other franchise would have.

So again, I wonder if the guys I listed got the chance that Alex did, if any of them would have succeeded. Jamarcus and Ryan Leaf probably wouldn't have since they had attitude issues and weren't hard workers...but what about the others? hmm

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

I bet he will get booed hard in the first game before he even throws a pass, but will have a career day.

Its possible, Seattle at home is probably going to one of the easiest games all year and the Seattle wont have any tape on Harbaugh's offense.
The coach versus player issue is one that I find most compelling. Can a coach make a player better? If not, every sports team in the world is wasting a great deal of money on coaches. Can a particular coach have more success than another with a given player? Certainly! Walsh made every QB at Stanford look like an allstar. How many of them made it in the pros? Not many. Can a coach make every QB look good? Of course not.

Harbaugh is a "let's have fun and just play" kind of coach, whereas Nolan and Singletary were intense "do it right" kind of guys. The latter tend to make players uptight and Smith does not need to be any more uptight than he already is/was.

If any coach was cut out for a situation it is Harbaugh working with Smith. If he can't get him to loosen up and play intuitively, then it isn't likely to happen--ever. That is my hope for resurrecting Smith's career.

But, the pro Smith side (for the most part) has always wanted the best group of QBs available in case Smith can't get it done. This is widely ignored by the other side who just want to call them Alexecusers...or some such nonsense.

The difference between the sides seems to be a matter of those who have written him off and will not accept another opinion...period! Then the ridicule starts and the arguments become heated. Have pro Alex people made intemporate remarks? Not many by my count.

Thank you mods for keeping the threads open and I hope you continue to do so as the debate is not lethal...just occasionally silly and circular.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The coach versus player issue is one that I find most compelling. Can a coach make a player better? If not, every sports team in the world is wasting a great deal of money on coaches. Can a particular coach have more success than another with a given player? Certainly! Walsh made every QB at Stanford look like an allstar. How many of them made it in the pros? Not many. Can a coach make every QB look good? Of course not.

Harbaugh is a "let's have fun and just play" kind of coach, whereas Nolan and Singletary were intense "do it right" kind of guys. The latter tend to make players uptight and Smith does not need to be any more uptight than he already is/was.

If any coach was cut out for a situation it is Harbaugh working with Smith. If he can't get him to loosen up and play intuitively, then it isn't likely to happen--ever. That is my hope for resurrecting Smith's career.

But, the pro Smith side (for the most part) has always wanted the best group of QBs available in case Smith can't get it done. This is widely ignored by the other side who just want to call them Alexecusers...or some such nonsense.

The difference between the sides seems to be a matter of those who have written him off and will not accept another opinion...period! Then the ridicule starts and the arguments become heated. Have pro Alex people made intemporate remarks? Not many by my count.

Thank you mods for keeping the threads open and I hope you continue to do so as the debate is not lethal...just occasionally silly and circular.

so basically, the pro-smith group are good, objective, intelligent guys

The anti-smith are unwavering, irrational, demons

Got ya. I'm not sure how you can criticize people who after 6 years of the same unsuccesful QB want a new one.

I mean, we gave him a shot. We supported him and he has failed time and time again. It's not like we wrote him off the second he was drafted. We rooted for him to play well. So to tell me that I'm irrational or absolute in my thinking because I wouldn't give a QB another chance after 6 years of chances...is ridiculous.
Hypothetically speaking: What if Alex gets hurt in preseason and Carr comes in and lights it up throwing for 4200 yds, 35 tds, 5 int, leading us to our first playoff appearance since 2002, do we sign him to a long-term contract?
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Hypothetically speaking: What if Alex gets hurt in preseason and Carr comes in and lights it up throwing for 4200 yds, 35 tds, 5 int, leading us to our first playoff appearance since 2002, do we sign him to a long-term contract?

Haha, hell YES. Sign Carr up and see if he can keep doing well while Kap sits back and learns on the sidelines.
Share 49ersWebzone