LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Someone said that they were going to bump this thread in week 5. Assuming Smith is the starter and we have the first 5 weeks of the season, I'm curious. Will anyone post in here and admit they were wrong?

If Smith plays like garbage, will the supporters agree that it's time to move on?

If Smith plays well, will the detractors agree that the horrid coaching and scheme played a larger role than they would have thought?
Originally posted by Otter:
Someone said that they were going to bump this thread in week 5. Assuming Smith is the starter and we have the first 5 weeks of the season, I'm curious. Will anyone post in here and admit they were wrong?

If Smith plays like garbage, will the supporters agree that it's time to move on?

If Smith plays well, will the detractors agree that the horrid coaching and scheme played a larger role than they would have thought?

Nope
Nope
and Nope.

History tells us that it's going to be neither. He'll probably play just well enough to be average and keep up guessing as to his talent cap; but, with that said, I'm not sure 5 weeks is enough to erase all the years of history we've had with this guy.

5 weeks of good QB play for the detractors will not erase 5 years of perceived bad play.

5 weeks of bad play for the supporters will not squelch their hope or belief that Alex can be good/great. Especially 5 weeks in a new system where he had a limited off-season and had to learn a new playbook, etc, etc, etc...

My opinion, this debate will go on for as long as Alex is a Niner.
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dj43:

If you truly believe all this team needs is Philip Rivers then I have lost a little respect for your credibility.

This offense needs a RG, a LT, a healthy LT, a TE that can read and adjust, WRs that can run good routes and get separation...and then we come to a defense that can't rush the passer or defend against the pass. Other than that, yes, this team could dominate.

Why lose credibility for me? Think about it for a second. Phillip Rivers was on a 9-7 team and had a phenomenal year. They missed the playoffs because the team sucked. DESPITE THE s**tTY TEAM EFFORT, Rivers was able to put up phenominal stats with his main WR gone most of the season, and his stud TE injured. Also, their OLINE was crap. If their TEAM was better, Rivers' QB play would have been worth a s**t. A.Smith barely puts up stats like this in his career...

Phillip Rivers 2010 Stats:

Comp: 65%
Yards: 4,710 (Smith has yet to hit 3,000 in any one season)
TD: 30 (Smith has 51 in 5 seasons. 6 including the injury season)
Int: 13 (Smith had 9 in the first 5 games)
Sacked: 38 (Bad OL this year but still able to produce)
Rating: 101.8 (Smith has yet to eclipse 85 in any given season)

So yeah. I do think the 49ers need Rivers. I think him and the 9ers would dominate the NFC west. I'll take his 30 tds and skills any day. Despite having no weapons on O for most of the year, and a bad Oline, he was able to produce and play well. His team went 9-7 because he willed them to some victories with sheer great QB play despite all the injuries, suspensions, and drama. And with no RB game to speak of.

So before you bash my cred, think about it.

With Rivers, the 9ers would be a force in the NFC for many years to come.

Hypothetically speaking, yes.

Some people truly don't understand that a great QB can make a lot of holes go away.

You really think a Brees or Rivers would struggle to get the ball to Crabs/Morgan/VD? You think the D would be as bad with all that newfound rest they'd get cuz the O can acutally move the ball?

I'm so sick of people downplaying the talent on this team.

Arizona went from SB contender to worst team in the league in 1 season cuz they lost their QB.

Exactly... Swap Alex Smith for any good to decent QB in the league and we are instantly better, not just at the QB position but as a team. Receivers would get the ball delivered on time with accuracy, the Oline wouldn't have to pass protect as long, the opponents defense wouldn't stack 8-9 guys in the box because they would have some respect for our QB/passing game, our RBs would thrive with a more balanced attack, and like you mentioned, our defense would get off the field for longer and get some much needed rest.

Alex Smith is one of the worst QBs in NFL history and the thought of him playing a 7th season as a 49er is a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if some journey man free agent comes in and beats him for the starting spot like usual.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. But I don't see many ppl saying it was coaching after 5 weeks of good play vs 6 years of below average play. Just like I'm sure supporters will say after 5 weeks of him playing bad that he deserves the entire you under Harbaugh to fully judge him. I think the coaching was a set back to his development, but at the end of the day the under performing lies with the player.
[ Edited by lamontb on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM ]

A very good question here.

If he plays like garbage... and it's clear that he is just not handling his responsibility even though his teammates are playing competent ball? I will easily say I was wrong about my belief in him. I will easily then say that I think the past has ruined him... or maybe he's just not good enough.

I don't give the slightest fu*k about being right or wrong in the eyes of a bunch of anonymous posters on a forum. Far too old for that nonsense.

The problem is assessing blame where it counts. If the QB has a reasonable amount of protection... reasonable amount of decent performers around him.... reasonable amount of coaching....

and so on and so forth... and yes, those things can be hard to quantify for some.

I truly do not give a damn if our successful QB is Alex or Colin or his name is Mary or Lisa.

Once we have competent coaching and playcalling... coaches that can adjust in-game... players that catch the majority of passes in their vicinity and run routes as they should... an OL that isn't perpetually in the bottom 5 in pass protection...

Once all these things happen.... if the QB still can't handle his business, then he needs to get outta there. Not saying he needs perfection... just decent surroundings... that which most quarterbacks require to have a chance.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

If he plays like garbage... and it's clear that he is just not handling his responsibility even though his teammates are playing competent ball? I will easily say I was wrong about my belief in him. I will easily then say that I think the past has ruined him... or maybe he's just not good enough.

I don't give the slightest fu*k about being right or wrong in the eyes of a bunch of anonymous posters on a forum. Far too old for that nonsense.

The problem is assessing blame where it counts. If the QB has a reasonable amount of protection... reasonable amount of decent performers around him.... reasonable amount of coaching....

and so on and so forth... and yes, those things can be hard to quantify for some.

I truly do not give a damn if our successful QB is Alex or Colin or his name is Mary or Lisa.

Once we have competent coaching and playcalling... coaches that can adjust in-game... players that catch the majority of passes in their vicinity and run routes as they should... an OL that isn't perpetually in the bottom 5 in pass protection...

Once all these things happen.... if the QB still can't handle his business, then he needs to get outta there. Not saying he needs perfection... just decent surroundings... that which most quarterbacks require to have a chance.

There's your answer Otter, and the answer is no.

LB

So....that's a "no".
[ Edited by JayBee on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM ]
I'm moving this from the Gore thread to here, D Niner.

Originally posted by D_Niner:

There's the discrepancy. No one was blaming only Alex. You tried to make it look that way; but, everyone was talking about multiple issues with our O.

Well that's just it. (and I like the civil discussion... might actually make me see an error in my own thinking) If all of those issues exist simultaneously? Why should some put so much of the blame on the QB? Simply because he is supposed to be the shining knight that can rise above all of the problems? Is that a fair and reasonable demand? Has any QB in the history of football done this and shined through it? Has any team suffered so many problems at once?
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Note, I didn't write that the Team played well or like garbage, I'm asking about Smith.

If the receivers are not catching the ball, because it is at their feet or behind them or if Smith is holding the ball, holding the ball, holding the ball, and sacked, then you have to put that on the QB.

If Smith has 10 picks because the receivers keep punching the ball in to the air and up for grabs, then that is on them.

Yes, in a team sport it is often difficult to evaluate an individual. This topic is so heated and animated and everyone seems so invested, I was just curious if anyone would let their opinion go. It's not about conceding something to anonymous people on a message board, it's about turning this board in to a discussion about the team we're all supposed to be fans of and stopping discussing this same player over and over.

I will still support him to the end, as long as he is in a niner jersey.
Most of us have moved on to discussing whether we would bang Casey Anthony.

Get on with life, people.
stopping discussing this same player over and over.

Not the post I was expecting. I'll say this again and have been very clear about it.

If people stop posting obvious hate and even untruths about players, then guess what? These types of discussions will stop. All due respect, but maybe you need to start paying better attention to what and who starts these nasty debates. Does it start from people randomly saying our QB is wonderful? (has anyone ever even said such a thing?) Or does it start from people going out of their way to bash the player or generalize a group of posters for having the beliefs they do?

I am beginning to suspect that these Alex threads are allowed only because it's clear that it is the topic that keeps the forum going. Lots of inactivity until this topic comes up... so you let it go a while.

I would LOVE to stop defending our QB so much. So if you want shut these same old posters up about this, then guess what? You will get what you want.... IF... that's really what you want.
"I truly do not give a damn if our successful QB is Alex or Colin or his name is Mary or Lisa."

Where do we find this Mary?! Sign her up!

If Smith plays well next season, consistently, then I will be more than glad to admit that I was wrong about him, because that would most likely mean that we would be in the playoffs and I would no longer have a reason to be critical of his play. I truly believe we have most pieces in place to own this putrid division and all that is needed is, consistent qb play.

On the other hand, if he continues to stink it up at the qb position, there will be reason for many(including myself) to be critical of him and will just prove what many already know.

I know for a fact that there will be some "supporters" who will not admit to being wrong, just by reading some of the post. As in matter of fact, many on here have not admitted to being wrong, for his sub-par play these past six years, so I don't expect them to do so, now. They will probably just do what Ceaddermann(spelling?) did and leave the Zone all together or continue to blame the rest of the offense.
Share 49ersWebzone